Author Topic: SLOW. oh my gosh, is it ever slow.  (Read 32008 times)

duff

SLOW. oh my gosh, is it ever slow.
« on: July 31, 2005, 09:26:27 AM »
OK, 2 hours reading lots of fascinating material.
Searched till blue.
Ready to beg for assistance.
<The late NAV will not be returning, and BDF was ok, though non-resident.

Finally figured out that Avast hasn't ever actually run thru a complete scan (though I thought I had done that when installed, early June).  I have a vague recollection of what I think (at the time) I perceived as a flat stall of the program that never did get resolved, too many issues, moved on, forgot to re scan, etc.
Anyway, the spinning a-ball keeps spinning, and it's talking to me every day about how up to date it is now, again.  So I think "great...it's all hunky-dory"
Anyway.
Well, so the computer began behaving strangely..odd Outlook behavior, crashie MS Word, etc.  Repairs no help...amplifying to scanpst.exe demand.

So, finally I checks me avast, and she's a not a wanna have been scanned, since the day installed. 

So fine...initiated the thorough scan...THREE DAYS AGO!
Still making my way through that entire circle now.
I thought it would never finish scanning...but it did claim to find 30 infected files, of various ilks:
Mydoom/Beagle/Netsky/(1 other that I can't read in the results, because I can't scroll in the results, because I am in process of "Processing results..." after having selected all 30 of them, and Action, and delete.)

Fine, impressive screening deep into OLD archives & backups...dig that.
However, it seems to be fully engaged and slowly counting bars in the

"Processing results..." dialog.  12 bars...ope! now 13 bars...that's about right in the middle of the scale now...can't tell exactly what it's processing, as the string is apparently longer than the dialog has room for...can't widen it either. 
From what I can tell, it's still working on the first of the 30 infected files that I selected to delet

I'm reckoning that I've been eyeing it for about TWO  HOURS now, from the moment that the thorough THREE DAY virus scan finally finished, and the results were displayed for my selection.  This suggests that my computer may be finished with this virus removal task in 120 hours or so from now...
During which time, pretty much everything, including browsing, is slow.
FIVE MORE DAYS?

I do not think so.
Please advise.

XPSP2
ZA5.5.094.000
avast4.6.691Jul2005
Privoxy3.0.3
HiJackthis1.99.0.1
SpywareBlaster 3.4.00
SpybotS&D(adv.mode)1.2.0.3
AdAwareSEP6.2.0.236

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: SLOW. oh my gosh, is it ever slow.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 09:31:56 AM »
I don't understand whats the problem...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

duff

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 09:47:56 AM »
Well, is this normal behaviour?  (estimating forward) 7 days to complete a full deep scan and virus cleaning?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 10:00:40 AM »
Well, depends on your hardware. But Thorough scans with Archive scanning enabled can be extremely slow.

duff

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 10:20:57 AM »
What about the process of deleting files in the results window?

That's where I'm at now...as noted.
Though now it's 14 bars now on the scale of perhaps 26.
It's still working on that first of 30 files in process of deletion.

What is the average processing time for deletion of a single file?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 11:06:14 AM »
I don't understand which bars do you mean. Can you make a screenshot of them and paste it here?

duff

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 11:08:18 AM »
refresher on how exactly to do a screenshot? :-[

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 11:20:29 AM »
Just pres Prt Scr button on keyboard when you see that bars on screen.
Open image editing program (MS Paint is fine) and use Paste command (or press Ctrl+V keys). After that save it to JPEG/JPG.

You can upload it here and then paste link to the image here (use direct link) :)

duff

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 12:00:12 PM »
ok, see how this is, but I don't get what you mean by "direct link".  How do I upload?  Sorry so wankin.  I tried it as an attachment under additional options, but I get a message back that "the document contains no data", when I click post.  Then I am unable to continue typing in the message window, unless I refresh it with the browser. 
Can't paste it here either, after copying the jpg.
tedium

duff

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 12:49:18 PM »
So anyway, barring a screenshot...
Avast is "processing results..." after my having selected the 30 infected files that showed up in the "results of last scan" window, and then selected "action", and then "delete" (BTW there are a total of 1826 lines listed in the results, the rest are "password protected" says the list)
"17 bars" is an expression that describes the progress of the activity as reflected in the onscreen scale that crawls forward in the "Processing results..." window, directly below the words "Processing file C:\Documents and Settings\...*.yak.

During the 3 day scan, I placed each one that came up, in the chest.  Now that it's finally offered me a chance to delete the offenders, that's what I chose to do.
So avast is running full blast, hard drive spinning away...on the first of the 30 files selected, several hours now after beginning the deletion process.

It is extremely disconcerting to have a delete process take as long as this is taking.  What the heck is it doing?  Scrubbing everything?
Please help!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 01:08:26 PM »
How did you initiated the scan?
With what settings?
How many data is on the drive(s)?
Are you running the scan in normal or safe mode?
Tried a boottime scan?
Got many large files on the system? (like movies and such)

duff

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 01:10:10 PM »
I've got to sleep...nodding off...4am...please consider this and I'll try to get back to it immediately upon awakening later today.

duff

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 01:19:02 PM »
How did you initiated the scan?
With what settings?
How many data is on the drive(s)?
Are you running the scan in normal or safe mode?
Tried a boottime scan?
Got many large files on the system? (like movies and such)
1. through the radio lookin-silver skin.
2.  thorough Drive C, is all I remember..3 days ago!
3.  43.8GB scanned
4. normal mode.  did not see any suggestion to do otherwise.
4.  yes, boottime scan yielded nothing
5.  sure, like anybody.

The first file in the selected list to delete is, that it's dragging on deleting is called data.zip\data.scr\[UPX] and the result said Infection:Win32Mydoom[Unp]

(This file is apparently in the archive.pst, which is the archive for Outlook.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 01:22:25 PM by duff »

duff

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 07:05:46 PM »
OK, I'm back.
now there's a message dialog on the screen from Avast! quick scanner...guess it did the scheduled scan I set up yesterday with Scheduler.
It claims to have
tested: 81424 files
Tested file: C:\D&S\me\Local Settings\App data\outlook\....etc.
and specifying (inexpicably) one particular folder in the archive.pst file (but not specifying a file there).  Anyhow, the number tested isn't changing, so I think the only thing is to click on the only button I am presented with in that dialog...Cancel.

Anyhow, the original "Processing results..." dialog appears still to be also creeping through the previously mentioned first file deleted on the results list, seems to have now acheived.......22 bars of what appears to be 26 total (or about 85 % completed on the deletion of 1 of 30 files. 

Had started this process, (selected the 30 files for deletion, and clicked Action/
Delete) 2 hours before my first contact...so thats...well it must be about 5:30p your time now, so from 7:30a your time that's about 10 hours to delete 85% of an infected file (of unknown size) which ...there are 29 more behind it, I suppose.

OK, while typing this, I think that the (Processing results...) dialog has just closed...so there is some movement right now...to?  who knows what.

30 files are still shown, all selected, among 1826 lines, still the same....just as it was before the 10 hour processing of the first file, and it seems to be waiting as before, for me to select an action.

??? what was avast DOING for 10 hours???

It seems clear that my system is infected.  The infected items seem all to be in archive.pst & outlookbackup.pst, which, based on the particular folders (all mails received, in folders I haven't used in ages), that the infection is OLD.  Which means that NAV was even less useful than I had previously thought.
I suppose this means also that I might have actually HAD an active virus (or, more properly, 30 of them) for quite some time.  Rueful.

How to know if I'm actually protected NOW, by avast, is a mystery to me. 
After all, I thought I had already scanned the C drive for viruses, before enabling all the providers in June...but nope, learned otherwise.

What is my next best move, in the state I'm presently in, as described in excrutiating detail here, in hopes that I might save both myself and others from any further grief?

duff

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 08:08:51 PM »
Further info:
I see now that in the "results of last scan" window, the "operation" column contains errors on all the 30 infected files' lines.
Most read as follows: Error occurred during moving file to chest: File is not packed.
The exception there is that the 28th & 30th lines reference a Trojan horse, it's been here a while too,  by the folder it resides in in outlookbackup.pst.  Both lines end with a similar reference.
ID:BRSKMO/SPY & ID:BRSKMO/SPYKILLER.

I don't know if this stack of details was present before the 10 hour process most recent, or whether it is a result of that process.  I thought I had responded 'move to chest' repeatedly over the 3 day scanning process, and then selected the 30 infected lines to Action/Delete (not move to chest).  I can't be certain.

Other challenges:
Most of the rest of the (still) 1861 lines in the "results of last scan" window consist of "Unable to Scan: archive is password protected" files.  anomalies (?) :

• Norton Cleansweep\Cleansweep.cfg (yes, I still use some of the Systemworks tools, though completely uninstalled the NAV portion)
  • AdAware Personal\Skins\AdAwareSE default.ask
  • Spybot S&D\Recovery

Also, there are a couple of singular entries:
C:\I386\LANG\HWCHT.DL_\hwxcht.dll
AND
A .FPT file (textual information for The Master Genealogist dataset) reported as "unable to scan: the file is a decompression bomb".  That's a 71MB file.  It doesn't seem to have had any problem with another 500MB .FPT in the same folder, so that's odd.
I'm not sure it actually even is a compressed file, so how does that make sense?

Anyhow...lots of details for the determined reader.
WHAT NEXT?