Author Topic: Secureline can't connect  (Read 12519 times)

REDACTED

Secureline can't connect
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »
While on holiday in the south of Spain I tried to use secureline vpn on my android phone, but could never get a connection to the avast vpn servers. I let the program choose its own server, also tried to pick a location myself. Tried many times, could never get a connection at all.
I was trying to connect through free wifi connections from the airport and hotel.

Since this never worked, there was no point in upgrading to the paid version and in the end I uninstalled it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Secureline can't connect
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
Did you get a specific error?
If so, what was the error?

Have you tried through cable instead of wifi?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »
While on holiday in the south of Spain I tried to use secureline vpn on my android phone, but could never get a connection to the avast vpn servers. I let the program choose its own server, also tried to pick a location myself. Tried many times, could never get a connection at all.
I was trying to connect through free wifi connections from the airport and hotel.

Since this never worked, there was no point in upgrading to the paid version and in the end I uninstalled it.

Yes, that's what Secureline was designed for, to secure connections in "unsecure" wifi networks such as airports and cafes etc.
I used this feature for well over a year and found it not as reliable as I needed it to be.
 Improvement is needed with this feature.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:58:27 AM »
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue out in Abu Dhabi, but that is even when I'm connecting through either my own WiFi, or a hard (cable) link!
I have had issues with connectivity only for the past few days though, up to now it's been an excellent tool to secure my communication.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
Dino, have you tried one of the other vpn servers?

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
Hi Eddy,

Yes I have, hotspot shield still connects, it's just secureline which won't, keep getting 'Sorry, unable to establish connection'.
It may well be that the VPN is now blocked out here, but if that's the case then why haven't they re-established it again, this is after all a subscribed and paid for service?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »
Hi Eddy,

Yes I have, hotspot shield still connects, it's just secureline which won't, keep getting 'Sorry, unable to establish connection'.
It may well be that the VPN is now blocked out here, but if that's the case then why haven't they re-established it again, this is after all a subscribed and paid for service?

I use 'Licensed' versions of both Secureline and Hotspot Elite and can tell you from experience, there are numerous occasions that Secureline does not/can not connect and Hotspot always does.
Just saying.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
Hi Schmidthouse,

Do you get the same error message when trying to connect?  I mean "unable to establish a connection"?

If so, would be great to see some logs of this activity if possible.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
Hi Schmidthouse,

Do you get the same error message when trying to connect?  I mean "unable to establish a connection"?

If so, would be great to see some logs of this activity if possible.

I'm in Western Canada and "only" connect to Unsecure Wifi Networks in Internet cafes etc. so need a reliable service. When I was using Secureline on my production machine (W8.1 64Bit) several months ago Secureline functioned about 75-80% of the time; other times would not connect OR kept disconnecting. In most cases this percentage probably isn't that bad however for me, I need it to function 100% as HotSpot Elite does.
I'm sure you can appreciate the need for a SECURITY feature to work all the time!
As a Professional in the Health Care Field using my Laptop pretty much all day around the communities I simply don't have the time to troubleshoot Security products on this machine. They have to work reliably and consistently otherwise I go to a product that does.

I also run xpSP3 on which I have installed 2015beta1 and when I can am testing Secureline. Right off, as soon as Secureline is connected(which it does) the Avastsrv.exe spikes CPU to around 75% and does dot reconcile itself, resulting in having to disconnect Secureline. CPU then drops to normal. Unfortunately, I am not on that machine everyday so only have time occasionally to troubleshoot. Am waiting for beta2 to see if this CPU spikeage is resolved. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:32:07 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the detailed feedback Schmidthouse.  Will pass along to the Devs. Appreciate you direct and honest approach.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »
You're welcome. :)