Author Topic: [Solved] Action center - Turn on avast  (Read 11391 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: [Solved] Action center - Turn on avast
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 03:42:38 AM »
Undoubtedly a senior moment then ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 04:02:12 AM »
Are you not noticing the previous posts again Bob :-\ I thought reply 9 clearly explained how to solve the problem.

If you actually read my message explaining the issue you will know that what you are saying is just nonsense. If you have a real issue with the WMI Service not working properly for some reason, that fix is totally useless. You will fix the issue only temporarily and it will can back again as soon as your real problem makes the action center display again the wrong message.

In my case the problem was a not properly installed hardware driver that was making WMI Service fail and restart automatically quite often (and other services the first one to fail being Shell Hardware Detection) having as a side effect the wrong message about antivirus not being enabled in action center.

Sure I don't have an in depth knowledge on how WMI works and how action center reads the metadata from it but my real issue was exactly the one I explained.

If you prefer to repeat your fix again and again and again thinking all people is having same problem, you guess what, you are not going to be very helpful.

That fix can be the correct fix for some people, even maybe in most cases, but not always is the solution.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:09:37 AM by Paul44 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 04:10:43 AM »
The fix that was discussed is for the Security centre not recognising the AV is turned on, if your problem was related to a incorrectly installed driver then that is another problem altogether so the fix that was mentioned is still relative to the issue discussed beforehand.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 04:37:45 AM »
The fix that was discussed is for the Security centre not recognising the AV is turned on, if your problem was related to a incorrectly installed driver then that is another problem altogether so the fix that was mentioned is still relative to the issue discussed beforehand.

Whatever. If you actually don't understand that your fix is not a real fix and the only real fix is to find out what made the action center* fail in first place -and that will mean review and diagnose your WMI Service- then there is not much to do. Be happy.

If what made the action center fail was a fluke that is not going to be repeated, then yes, your fix is the fix.

* windows 7 and above don't have a security center but an action center.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:42 AM »
Whatever. If you actually don't understand that your fix is not a real fix and the only real fix is to find out what made the action center* fail in first place -and that will mean review and diagnose your WMI Service- then there is not much to do. Be happy.

If what made the action center fail was a fluke that is not going to be repeated, then yes, your fix is the fix.

You've certainly got a bad attitude for people that were trying to help you ::)

The fix discussed is a real fix for the issue it was intended and has helped and solved many peoples enquiries on the same matter, you only stated later in the topic that your problem was driver related so hence it is different to the initial problem discussed.

Security Centre - Action Centre "basically same thing" ::)

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »

You've certainly got a bad attitude for people that were trying to help you ::)

The fix discussed is a real fix for the issue it was intended and has helped and solved many peoples enquiries on the same matter, you only stated later in the topic that your problem was driver related so hence it is different to the initial problem discussed.

Security Centre - Action Centre "basically same thing" ::)

I know about the attitude and I'm sorry for it but you are not having a good attitude either. Just pay attention how you all are trying to help just from the beginning. I must confess I was pissed off just from the beginning when I was blamed of not searching the forum for the solution when I had done so.

And then later when I explain the issue you continue with the mantra of what is in your opinion the one and only fix to that issue which besides in your opinion is because of a bug in windows that can't be solved in any other way. Something you are repeating even once more now:
The fix discussed is a real fix

Until you realize that's not true and that the action center showing a bad message about the state of the antivirus software is just a sympton and can be a symptom of other problems -including serious problems- you will continue repeating that fix as if it were the real and only fix.

But fixing a symptom is not the solution for a problem.

And I really hope that none of the people applying that fix are masking a real problem and having a headache finding the real problem later. Or people aplying that fix 10 times a month or whatever because they actually believe you when you say it is a windows bug and they believe there is nothing they can do other than applying that fix. Or people being sick of having the wrong action center message so often they decide to disable that action center message because they believe it is a windows bug and they can't solve the problem. Or... You follow my concern?

You are right that Windows Action Center and Windows Security Center are basically same thing. It has only been renamed because from Windows 7 it monitors more things than just security. And in fact the service is still called Security Center (wscsvc). Anyway and as this issue was for Windows 7 I prefer to use the proper name to avoid confusion (which doesn't mean I don't make mistakes on the names from time to time).

Think about how polity is the attitude: "this is the fix, this is a windows bug, period".

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
As you are the only person who seems to have your exact issue then the fix suggested is still the correct fix for 99.9% of other people, your system obviously has other problems that weren't diagnosed because no diagnostic programs had been run to supply anyone here the logs to look over, what was previously discussed is still a windows bug but whether that relates to your corrupted driver issue " who knows "