Author Topic: Downloader-TOV virus  (Read 3735 times)

Offline apeka

Downloader-TOV virus
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:48:58 PM »
Hello,

While downloading a file from internet, I got a warning from avast av, that a suspicious and harmful file 'Downloader-TOV' was found. I was recommended to do a boot scan, which I did. A suspected file was found in C:\Users\'name'\ downloads\easybcd setup exe, which was apparently infected. I had this fixed and removed to the chest, where it is sitting now. See the attached screenshot.
Is this sufficient, or do I need to take more action to get rid of this completely?
Thanks in advance..

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Downloader-TOV virus
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:53:31 PM »
Leave it in the chest for e.g. a week or so.
If your system keeps functioning like it should, delete it af that week.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »
Win32:Downloader-TOV [PUP]
PUP = not virus / Possible Unwanted Program  ..... usually bundled with some extra crap/unwanted program that may be difficult to remove

Malwarebytes PUP Criteria  https://www.malwarebytes.org/pup/

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:41:41 AM by Pondus »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:27:04 AM »
You should also download and install SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition and Malwarebytes Antimalware Free Edition. Update them both and do a full system scan just to be sure! There might be other PUP or malware that may or may not be associated with the one that is at Virus Chest.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:32:09 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 07:04:16 AM »
I would suggest Malwarebytes Premium version for real-time scanning.  It is worth the money and most of us use it.  The free version is often used for as a malware removal tool, but the premium version will give you an extra layer of security protection with continuous updating and scanning.  It is compatible with Avast but works differently than an AV.  I don't think you also need SAS as well, however you can have this on-demand if you wish; just don't go crazy with over-kill.  Ultimately, it is up to you and your wallet.  ;)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »
EasyBCD is a legitimate programme however, it can also be used for nefarious means.  The programme can edit and change your boot sector http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/