Author Topic: Want some SERIOUS PC security advice!  (Read 20949 times)

darth.mikey

Re: Want some SERIOUS PC security advice!
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 12:50:09 PM »
Offline defrag works OK for me.Sorry can't help you there but maybe your friend google could help you out?  ;)

Mikey

darth.mikey

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
OK i just  found out i have the same problem  :'(  OK so i used  google and this came up http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=494 it turns out StyleXP is responsible  >:(
OK i fixed it now hope you will be able to do the same.

Good Luck,

Mikey

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2005, 07:37:32 PM »
 Am I in the 'Off Topic' Forum ? This is the funniest thread I've read in ages  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2005, 08:28:57 PM »
I too was thinking this was/should be in Off-topic, not to mention even if it were this thread is getting off-topic as much of what is now being discussed has little to do with "SERIOUS PC security advice!'

Perhaps one of the mods should move it there as it shouldn't be in the avast! 4x Home/Pro forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Umath

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2005, 12:29:03 AM »
I decided i don't need loads of anti-spyware programs and i actually don't ned them.
Firefox keeps it away and i watch what i install. Clean PC ever since.

Yes, I'm getting off-guard, too.  I use an e-mailer which natively can't read but texts and a Mozilla alternative browser with java off while closing unnecessary Windows services.  I still keep Spybot, which has caught no Spyware at all, though.  Also, Kerio 4.2.0 is on my PC but no new function has detected suspicious behaviors (I prefer the simplicity of 2.1.5 if only it works properly on my PC).  At the moment, it seems I have to pay attention to Windows update rather than viruses.

I too was thinking this was/should be in Off-topic, not to mention even if it were this thread is getting off-topic as much of what is now being discussed has little to do with "SERIOUS PC security advice!'

Perhaps one of the mods should move it there as it shouldn't be in the avast! 4x Home/Pro forum.

Get back to topic, then. Covering ports with Firewalls is one thing but why not close ports if you are not using them at all? I recommend WWDC if you don't want to learn how to close each unnecessary port.  The site itself has good read, too.

PS I'd like Microsoft to implement ease-of use and reliable user right/port management system.  Using resources for unnecessary services while giving up more of some resources to security applications are absurd.

darth.mikey

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2005, 12:48:41 AM »
Or you could just buy a NAT router to close your ports right?

Umath

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2005, 01:26:23 AM »
Or you could just buy a NAT router to close your ports right?

Not sure what you mean.  Hardware or software, firewalls are to cover ports but what I meant is:  Why keep unnecessary services on while it just endangers your system and choke the resources?

In any case, multi-layer protection is desirable especially when security firewalls are not costing your system resources.  Your money is different story, though.  ;)

Mick Sturbes

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2005, 08:55:24 AM »
Not sure what you mean.  Hardware or software, firewalls are to cover ports but what I meant is:  Why keep unnecessary services on while it just endangers your system and choke the resources?

In any case, multi-layer protection is desirable especially when security firewalls are not costing your system resources.  Your money is different story, though.  ;)

But surely Microsoft are only after your money ....... :o

GhosTT

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2005, 07:03:14 AM »
LOl,

Yup, prolly posted on wrong board,
But glad  I DID, learnining ALOT!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 07:08:05 AM by GhosTT »

GhosTT

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2005, 07:06:01 AM »
posted twice,sorry  ;D

MFB

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 07:12:23 AM »
Hey GhostTT, I want you to know that you're not alone when it comes to learning, I'm still got a heck alot of stuff to learn and avast! forum is a great way to get alot of information.   ;D 

GhosTT

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2005, 07:22:23 AM »
FIXER,
My first PC(16 months now),learning as I go.

Have learned  from this site.

Members are more than willing to help, no matter our skill level.

Good group of guys  ;D

justin1278

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2005, 03:23:43 AM »
for a firewall i suggest kerio personal it is a free trial with all of the features but after 30 days is goes to the freeware version where you don't get the web content filtering feature all the web content feature does is block pop ups and other things.

dancerdog3

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 02:33:41 AM »
Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Firewall (Hardware and Software).  Those are essential.
 :o
But, a good security plan must include redundancy.  That means BACKUP your data.  Copy your important files to a CD, or use an online backup service, or use a USB memory stick.  At some time you will lose your data.  It can be caused by a virus, spyware, trojan, hard drive failure, user error, practical joke, or something else.
 :-*
Be smart and use all the protection - and keep redundant copies of important files.

GhosTT

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2005, 01:57:48 AM »
dancerdog3,

Good advice,
Right now I am trying to learn about back up external hard drives.
Willing to drop a couple hundred to find one that works well, and easy for a low skill user.