Author Topic: Software updater is "preparing" forever  (Read 1233 times)

REDACTED

Software updater is "preparing" forever
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
I've tried this with 7-Zip (currently at 9.20 - which, oddly enough, is actually the latest version...) and Flash Player ActiveX (no idea what the current version is, but the newer version is whatever it currently says for everyone ;)). I won't keep trying. I'm trying to "quickly" update some else's box, but this is not quick at all. I'm gonna need some sort of fix here. Each of the programs I tried to update, show "Preparing..." until the end of time (meaning minutes on end, which is waaaay too long for doing absolutely nothing). I don't (and can't) know what's happening behind the curtains, nor do I know if there's any kind of log being kept anywhere at all. I hate blackboxes, as you might be able to tell.

This instance of Avast is at version 2014.9.0.2021 and running on Windows 7 x64. *Automatic* software updates are disabled, I'm just trying this out by clicking the update button with, like, a real mouse. Like I said, the pc is doing absolutely nothing while "preparing". No I/O activity, no CPU activity, no network activity.

REDACTED

Re: Software updater is "preparing" forever
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »
What product of Avast do you have?
What other security software do you have on this machine? 
Is the firewall blocking anything related to Avast?

If you "disabled" automatic software updates, are you trying to update it through the Software Update notification???  I would use the software update to notify you that there is an update available, then go to the vendor's site to update it.

If you are unable to get Internet access (it is confusing from your post), then check to see if something is blocking you from doing this in the firewall, or if there/was previous security software on the machine (esp. a previous AV).

Did you upgrade to this version of Avast or was it a clean install?  You may want to try an Avast Repair:
1. Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast
2. Click Repair
3. Follow instructions
4. Reboot

If the Repair does not work, then an Uninstall/clean install may work, but we need more info. from you regarding if you have previous security software on this machine and your firewall.  Thank you.