Author Topic: Boot problems after power supply failure  (Read 12224 times)

REDACTED

Re: Boot problems after power supply failure
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 01:36:13 AM »
What would be the best way to recover files/documents from the SSD? Can I just connect it to an other pc and use ReclaiMe for example? Because I'm afraid the "faulty" drive might damage the other pc.

Couldn't you just boot using the Farbar stick and then copy files ?..........depending on how many/size ?
.....after you've recovered your files........since nothing to lose you can try..........long shots for sure but never know.....

Go ahead a get back into the recovery console and try to do a startup repair again.
Yes, I know you tried prior....but want to see now that Avast is deleted.

Also try an offline system file check of O/S: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-sfc-offline-windows-7-vista/

Try to rebuild the BCD: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

Past that I'm out of ideas.......the O/S really crashed hard with the P/S failure.

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »
I've tried some other things, but without success. Eventually I have recovered the files on the SSD, formatted it and re-installed Windows. Before installation, I also connected the four RAID drives to the mobo. But even after installing all the drivers, Windows doesn't recognize the RAID array properly.
Windows Device Manager shows "Intel Raid 1 Volume SCSI Disk Device" as first item. Then the SSD followed by two times "ST2000DM 001-1CH164 SCSI Disk Device".

What can I do to fix this (without losing data)?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:48:01 PM by robin12 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »
Your D and E are showing as raw, that means they are not formatted

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
I was hoping it was more "plug and play" because the drives are back in the same configuration using the original hardware and software. If I'm going to format them, all data will be lost, right?

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:02 PM »
If you format it, you lose whole previous content; to recover NTFS partition, you might try tool named testdisk but it's rather advanced and I can hardly recommend it without any prior knowledge. I don't want to be a pessimist but I would reserve a day to reinstall Windows and restore data from backup (you have backup, right?).

And never ever use RAID without UPS (or at least disable drive and RAID cache), I experienced very similar loss myself and was barely able to recover my most important data.

REDACTED

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »
I have already reinstalled Windows, and I'm now trying to restore/recover/rebuild the RAID 10 array. I've read somewhere that it wouldn't be a problem if I were using the same hardware and software again. The drives are also in the same order as before the crash. I find it strange that two drives are recognized as RAID 1, while the other two drives are listed as single drives.

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »
Did you use built-in Intel RAID or do you own dedicated RAID controller? You need to pair disks exactly same they were. If you are lucky, you might be fine. If not, well ... I wasn't even able to recover two disks in RAID 1 because a controlled had an ingenious idea to overwrite first 128 MB of the disks ...

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »
I used Intel RAID/Rapid Storage Technology. I can't remember configuring anything in BIOS (using CTRL-I at boot). Disk 1 and 2 are recognized as RAID 1, while disk 3 and 4 are listed as single drives. I actually used disk 1 and 3 to recover files using ReclaiMe, so at least these two drives seem to function correctly.