Author Topic: Set Avast to Manual Update, "mysteriously" changed to Auto...  (Read 3782 times)

REDACTED

Set Avast to Manual Update, "mysteriously" changed to Auto...
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:46:56 AM »
Since the beginning of time I have set Avast to manual update... my personal preference... and CHOSE WHEN to update by rt click the icon >> Update >> engine & virus definitions and was able to define which update functions I CHOSE to have Avast monitor. Today upon opening Avast UI "somehow" my update settings had been set to auto-update with absolutely, positively NO input by me, the only user.
Also, the option to check or uncheck which settings to have the program monitor had VANISHED so when I set back to manual there's an exclamation mark in the tray icon and upon opening the UI I am "greeted" with this Horrible bright yellow "warning" that Auto-update had been turned off...

well Duuuuuuh! I turned them off.

How & why did my settings get changed without user action & how to get rid of this wretched warning?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:14:56 AM by Union_Thug »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Set Avast to Manual Update, "mysteriously" changed to Auto...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:49:59 AM »
Try doing a repair of Avast via Add/remove? After that restart your computer manually.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 03:19:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply but what does doing a repair have to do with a modified UI & settings? I suspect the mysterious Avast "emergency" update

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:23:47 AM »
It might be problem with settings that you may have changed or something may have gone wrong or it can be the update mechanism. Like you said "Today upon opening Avast UI "somehow" my update settings had been set to auto-update with absolutely, positively NO input by me, the only user.
Also, the option to check or uncheck which settings to have the program monitor had VANISHED so when I set back to manual there's an exclamation mark in the tray icon and upon opening the UI I am "greeted" with this Horrible bright yellow "warning" that Auto-update had been turned off... "
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 03:50:58 AM »
OK got rid of the hideous warning (Settings >> Appearance >> Status Monitoring) but I still don't know how my update settings got changed to Auto-update.  :o

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 04:05:01 AM »
If you were using an older version of avast you may have been force updated to the current ( older versions now unsupported ) which would change you settings to the optimal best protection.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 04:07:45 AM »
Glad it got fixed. I don't know how your update settings got changed. Maybe you forgot that you have changed a setting on updates accidentally.

Open up Avast and click on settings>update. Under the Virus definition tab click on settings. Make sure virus definitions updates are set to automatic update and make sure that there is a tick for streaming updates. Under the program tab click on settings make sure you choose any of the first two options. Mine is set to "Ask when an update is available".

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:13:11 AM »
I wasn't using older version, last version update dated June 26 2014. I run FileHippo UDC & Secunia PSI, get e-mail notices for Adobe updates everything ALWAYS up-to-date.  At this point not going to sweat it, thanks for the attention/replies guys!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »
Just a point - did you know that turning off auto update in the virus signatures also disables streaming updates - so you don't get new signatures in a timely manner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
Yes David I do in fact know that, nonetheless thank you for pointing it out.  :)