Author Topic: programs without file association  (Read 11313 times)

honky

programs without file association
« on: August 02, 2005, 03:38:10 AM »
When trying to open programs I get the error message "This program does not have a file associated with it for performing this action.Create a association in the folder option control panel". I also get the same message in the control panel for many of the icons. Some of short cuts in the start menu still work so I have outlook Ex and Explorer. i also have the same problem tring to load win XP repair.I suspect I have avirus. Iloaded Avast but I get the same error mess when trying to open it. They say change the file ending to start but it is unclear how to do this. The Folders Options does not seem to spell it out either. Pisses me off, I run anti virus anti Trojan ad aware and you name it for protection. It is getting to the point where Computers are not worth the hazzle anymore.
Anyone have any ideas.??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: programs without file association
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 04:19:51 AM »
Can you boot in Safe Mode and run the avast! Cleaner? (http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclnr.exe)
Could help if you run HijackThis utility and post the content (or submit it to on-line analysis).
Sorry if I can't help that much. I'm not an expert on virus removal.  :-[
The best things in life are free.

honky

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 06:20:49 PM »
Unfortunatly even in safer mode I get the same message. Even no luck trying to run windows xp repair. What I need is for someone to tell me how to load up avast. I cant seem to figure out how to change the file name to a different ending so it will open. Anyone at Avast reading this ?
Thanks
Kevin

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 12:31:05 AM »
I have never heard of this problem before, but I asked my good friend google, (repair "file associations" XP) with the quotes but without the brackets and it returned lots of hits.

These are some that may help:
http://www.greghughes.net/rant/FixFileAssociationsThatGetBrokenInWindowsXP.aspx
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

If these don't get you pointing in the right direction, repeat the google search and check out some other options, this may well be a long task.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 07:40:14 AM »
I also have the same problem tring to load win XP repair
How did you try the repair?

Are you using XP home or pro?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 09:24:19 AM »
Eddy,

The best advice here is a system repair from the master cd. There was a virus in the past  you know that advices to delete a system file, and the file association was lost if you followed this destructive advice. There are some ways this can happen, MS puts things at strange places sometimes.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

honky

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 05:58:33 PM »
I have win xp home. I tried to repair two ways. f12 boot from cd rom dr -setup recovery console recovery-- buttons are dead unable to access.
f8 safe mode to run xp cd unable to access. I have found a way to access my command prompt is there  a xp registry repair I can input to the command prompt ?
what a bitch
Thanks
Kevin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 09:40:15 PM »
I have win xp home. I tried to repair two ways. f12 boot from cd rom dr -setup recovery console recovery-- buttons are dead unable to access.
Do you mean the keyboard?  :o :o
What is 'buttons' here? Virus cannot be activated if you're booting from a clean CD Rom.

f8 safe mode to run xp cd unable to access. I have found a way to access my command prompt is there  a xp registry repair I can input to the command prompt ?
Sorry, XP Console only allows fixmbr and fixboot commands but not a registry reparation.
You should have a backup. Free application called ERUNT is very effective.
The best things in life are free.

honky

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 11:56:31 PM »
The only problem is downloaded programs will not open and run as well as the programs already on my computer. The buttons I am refering to are on the screen of the xp install disc.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 12:25:05 AM »
Have you checked out the links I gave you to attempt to repair/restore the file associations or done a google search?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 04:51:21 AM »
Looks like a clean install is the best way to go.
But you can try a In-Place-Repair

honky

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 11:38:10 AM »
what is the actual fixboot command.when I type "fixboot" at the command prompt  it shows as a bad command. Possibly this will allow me to use the repair feature on the install xp disc if it corrects that problem

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 12:17:03 PM »
THIS is a good page to start, but I honestly believe you will be better of with a clean install.