Author Topic: WebShield incorrectly blocking page  (Read 17268 times)

Aciss

Re: WebShield incorrectly blocking page
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 05:22:56 AM »
I am having the same problem of some pages not loading eg. http://us.cnn.com/
I tried this patch and it partially worked as it now displays the page BUT if I click on any of the links, they don't load and if I hit the "back" button on IE the original page does not load.

P.S. It seems to only be an I.E. issue as it works fine in Firefox

Please help,

Aciss

Thanks keystroke,
it was really a bug in webshield's code.

Can you please try to download this patch (into avast folder) and try it. You'll have to restart WebShield (terminate and start again) in order to load the patched module (ashwsftr.dll).

http://www2.asw.cz/~rypacek/ws_patch.zip

Edit: unpack both files into c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ folder.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 05:39:36 AM by Aciss »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 02:36:11 PM »
Well my primary browser is firefox, but I tried it with IE and Avant (an IE based browser), the links work as does the back button.

So I guess its back to the drawing board.
Have you tried it with the web shield terminated, does it work?
If so, what is your firewall as this could have an effect?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aciss

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 04:30:15 PM »
It does work with Web Shield is turned off and I noticed it does work when IE is set to block all cookies. Those are the only instances where it works.

P.S. I turned off my firewall - Sygate and it still did not work!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:01:02 PM by Aciss »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 07:39:33 PM »
Then it looks like the site requires cookies to be allowed (which is strange), but why it would make a difference I don't know. The cookies for cnn.com are what are called session cookies and are only valid for that day.

Generally I don't block cookies I only block third party cookies, e.g. those not of same origin as the web site you are in. I did notice that some content comes from cnn.net but it doesn't appear to try to set a cookie for cnn.net which would be classed as a third party cookie.

Perhaps you need to change the Topic/Thread Title as it is now obvious it is not web shield blocking the web site?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aciss

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 07:44:16 PM »
I don't think cookies is the issue as when I turn off webshield it works and if I use firefox it works. I think it is a webshield issue

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 07:47:41 PM »
Accis,

lets try this:

Here: (http://www2.asw.cz/~rypacek/ashWebSv.zip)

you can download a special WebShield version that creates a detailed debug log. Terminate webshield and replace it's file (ashwebsv.exe) with the downloaded one. Then try to reproduce the error (with webshield started). It will create a log file in c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\data\log\ashwebsv.dbg. Send me the file by email.

Note:
1) the log file is accessible only when WebShield is terminated
2) you might want to backup the original version and replace it back when you finish testing (if you don't do this the file will be automatically replaced during next program or VPS update)

Aciss

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 09:36:54 PM »
where would I find the log file? and what is your email address?

Thanks,

Aciss

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 10:12:07 PM »
where would I find the log file? and what is your email address?

Thanks,

Aciss

The email: rypacek (at) asw.cz (you may click on my name to see it). Concerning the log file, well, did you read my previous post?

Aciss

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 10:24:08 PM »
Sorry, I had skimmed through it. I have sent you the log

bongo

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 04:50:00 AM »
I was reading the posts and this caught my attention.

One site I am developing does not display the graphic on the home page. So I downloaded the patch from http://www2.asw.cz/~rypacek/ws_patch.zip and found it impossible to save into the avast folder because it was asking for a password (the files are password protected).

The site in question is www.tfa-i.com

I'm using WinXp pro, avast4.6Home and ZA 5.5

Any suggestions?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2005, 08:48:20 AM »
What? The files in that archive are certainly NOT password protected... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2005, 03:36:30 PM »
That site loaded fine with IE6 SP2 and web shield, no apparent missing images a little slow loading on dial-up therwise no problems.

The same page with firefox appears to be missing the overlay text image of the Web Site name.

So which browser did you use?

I saw this in the underlying html source code so I'm not sure if this XHTML Strict notation is fully functional with firefox?
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

Edit: I'm using the patch you mention and there was no password request issue. You need to have terminated Web Shield before you try to copy and paste the contents (all files) of the ws_patch.zip into the folder, then restart Web Shield.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 03:40:14 PM by DavidR »