Author Topic: Question about Avast and Google auto backups for android  (Read 2633 times)

REDACTED

Question about Avast and Google auto backups for android
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »
So I've gotten a message from gmail saying that they'll cut off my emails if I don't either buy more storage or delete some existing online files.

I was a bit confused by this because I'd set my Google backup to reduce all photos below 2048 pixels, and my videos are all short, so nothing should be counting to my free limit.

After a little digging, I realised until I upgraded my phone in August, I'd been using both Google and Avast to backup my photos. After the upgrade I didn't set up Avast to do backups, so no longer have this problem, but for the year and half or so prior, Avast had been backing up at full resolution and therefore eating away at my free storage limit.

So now I'm looking to delete a bunch of files in order to free up some space, and I'm wondering that if I delete my Avast backups, will Google replace them with the reduced 2048 pixel photos? This seems like a strange question, but I think that for some reason, if Avast Becks up a photo, then Google doesn't back up that same photo. I say this because I don't seem to have double ups of the same photos from Google and Avast backup in my Google drive. If I did, I could just delete the Avast ones and problem solved.

If ananyone has had this same issue or has some advice, I'd be very grateful. Many thanks in advance.