Author Topic: Avast! EPS disk space usage  (Read 7887 times)

Offline Chad-bisd

• Hopeful, yet discontent
    • Beckville ISD
Avast! EPS disk space usage
« on: September 16, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
I'm trying to find a rule or guide for determining the amount of disk space I should allot to Avast!  We use Avast! on our student laptops, which also use DeepFreeze from Faronics.  I setup a thawspace and created junctions to redirect Avast!'s program files, program data, and registry entries to the thawspace using Data Igloo from Faronics also.

I guess what I would really like help with is answering a few questions from people that have experience with Avast!

How long have you been running it on the machine?
How big is your "defs" folder under the avast program files directory structure?
How far back do your virus defs go, such as 20140816---- folders under defs?

I appreciate your time and assistance with this.

Offline Chad-bisd

• Beckville ISD
Re: Avast! EPS disk space usage
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
I know you are out there, lurking in the darkness.  Step into the light and provide with me some information.  If you want help, you have to give help.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 01:55:48 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but it came up when I was trying to determine if the Avast disk usage on my machine was typical.

As one reference point, and I certainly can't say if it's normal, let alone typical:

The C:\Program Files\Avast Software folder is 862 MB.
The C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software folder is 945 MB.

So on my machine it's occupying roughly 1.8 GB.  This seems a bit excessive.

Offline Chad-bisd

• Beckville ISD
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 02:01:11 AM »
Thank you for replying. I'm trying to gather info on how big to make my thawspace In the future.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:24:47 AM »
Here is a general poll I did on 10 machines in our network that have had the client installed for 5 months - 1 year.
C:\Program Files\Avast Software - 800MB - 1GB
C:\ProgramData\Avast Software - 20-30MB MB (Not sure why mine are so much lower than Schiecspam's)

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:48:20 PM »
Logs can typically help to identify issues where avast is eating disk space.
Often enough, it's actually the logs that are piling up with errors.

You can find them here: C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log

Offline Chad-bisd

• Beckville ISD
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »
Here is an update on my experience so far.

I started out by giving Avast! a 1GB thawed space to work with.  I used Faronics Data Igloo to redirect the ProgramData, ProgramFiles and the registry branch.  After a month or so, I started noticing computers were reporting that they were not protected. Investigation into the matter revealed that the 1Gb thawspace was full and the "defs" folder was over 300Mb and the individual folders dated back over 3 weeks.

I have since then upped the thawspace size to 2GB on all new deployments.  After several weeks, I checked on the disk usage of a few clients and noticed that Avast! was using only about 900Mb.  It has been like this on several clients I have looked at.