Author Topic: Outlook Express errors  (Read 17355 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Outlook Express errors
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 06:04:05 AM »
I tested everything and it's working...  :-\
Do you have intalled the Stunnel service?
Is it check to start Automatically?
Is the stunnel.conf in the same folder of stunnel?
Is your firewall allowing stunnel to connect the Internet?

I don't know what more can I do or tell to you...  :-[
The best things in life are free.

ShlomoW

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 07:40:56 PM »
Hello,
  I haven't answered your last note becuase I finally did ,with the help of a friend, get the stunnel service working (automatically with the config file in the same directory).But then a strange thing seems to have happened. When I close the machine,the avast.ini file reverts to the old , and now (but not at first ) even when I correct it ,I can't get the smpt service working.does avast have some sort of automatic update ?I found that the system seems to recognize the existence of two stunnels ,one is stunnel.exe and the other is stunnel-4.11.exe.But I only find oone version in the stunnel directory.I've allowed both internet access in zone alarm.
 Have you any ideas?
                                                                   Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 11:45:10 PM »
When I close the machine,the avast.ini file reverts to the old
No... it's not how it behaves...
You can, to be sure, disable avast! providers (the last down option of the tray icon menu), make the changes, boot.

Does avast have some sort of automatic update ?
Not for avast4.ini file.

I found that the system seems to recognize the existence of two stunnels ,one is stunnel.exe and the other is stunnel-4.11.exe.But I only find oone version in the stunnel directory.I've allowed both internet access in zone alarm.
Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and find Stunnel.
Right click it and choose properties.
Which stunnel.exe file is it using?
Delete the other file.

ShlomoW

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 02:41:57 AM »
thanks,
 I am not too clear of which provider to stop. there seem to be 7 out of 8 running.Also,isn't there a potential conflict between the resident shield and zone alarm?I think when I first downloaded avast! ,there was such a warning. how do i check that and fix it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 03:09:39 AM »
I am not too clear of which provider to stop. there seem to be 7 out of 8 running.
To test this (save settings) you must stop all of them, you must have 0 of 8 running.

Also,isn't there a potential conflict between the resident shield and zone alarm?I think when I first downloaded avast! ,there was such a warning. how do i check that and fix it?
Check this link http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

avast! Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

ShlomoW

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 06:31:07 PM »
Hi :)
 I seem to have found the solution , but I'm still quite confused.
 I changed my interface for the simple user interface. then I disabled the resident protection, and presto, it works!
 I'm going to check if I can open and close the computer and have it save the settings.
 But does this mean I am losing some protection?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 07:49:26 PM »
I changed my interface for the simple user interface. then I disabled the resident protection, and presto, it works!
 I'm going to check if I can open and close the computer and have it save the settings.
 But does this mean I am losing some protection?
So, that's only for 'saving the settings'. After booting, you should enable your protection again (if it does not start automatically).
If you do not enable, you won't be protected.

ShlomoW

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 01:43:14 AM »
So i seem to be back to the begining.
Am I not supposed to use "localhost" in the email setup?
This is my sympatico setup
incoming(POP3) pophm.sympatico.ca
outgoing mail (SMTPM) smtphm.sympatico.ca
my server requires secure authentication
outgoing mail server
swerner&&sympatico.ca
pwd
Also , my ini file seems to be correct but maybe I edited it wrongly.there are two autoredirect=1 and an ignoreaddress= which i don't understand
so ,here is the last part (after mailscanner)
MailScanner]
PopRedirectPort=110,1110,1120,11110
SmtpRedirectPort=25,215,225,1025,11025
IgnoreLocalhost=0
AutoRedirect=1
ImapRedirectPort=143
NntpRedirectPort=119
IgnoreAddress=
AutoRedirect=1
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 02:06:27 AM by ShlomoW »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 03:35:51 AM »
Am I not supposed to use "localhost" in the email setup?
No... you're using XP, and there the email scanning is transparent, i.e., no need to change any settings.

Here is my command window: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 11:24:34 AM »
Hello,
  I haven't answered your last note becuase I finally did ,with the help of a friend, get the stunnel service working (automatically with the config file in the same directory).But then a strange thing seems to have happened. When I close the machine,the avast.ini file reverts to the old , and now (but not at first ) even when I correct it ,I can't get the smpt service working.does avast have some sort of automatic update ?I found that the system seems to recognize the existence of two stunnels ,one is stunnel.exe and the other is stunnel-4.11.exe.But I only find oone version in the stunnel directory.I've allowed both internet access in zone alarm.
 Have you any ideas?
                                                                   Thanks

What items in the ini file got reverted ?

ShlomoW

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2005, 07:08:02 PM »
I just checked by closing and opening the machine. It seems now ,that it is not reverting ,but I still must close the resident protection in oreder to send email.Basically I found that the 4 lines I added (modified)

PopRedirectPort=110,1110,1120,11110
SmtpRedirectPort=25,215,225,1025,11025
IgnoreLocalhost=0
AutoRedirect=1

just went back

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 09:51:02 AM »
The items that can be changed in the GUI should not be changed directly in the ini file, these changes will be lost. The items PopRedirectPort, SmtpRedirectPort and IgnoreLocalhost can be set in the Internet Mail provider settings on page Redirect. The AutoRedirect is 1 by default, so you don't need to change it.

tyflo

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 09:38:49 AM »
 ;D I just had exacly the same error message and sympatico assistance did not find the problem after trying all kind of test . But i saw your error message after copiing mine in google and i try all the setting about e-mail in avast anti virus protection ( I have the free one ) and i found the trouble : Open avast 'On Acces Protection Control' than clic on 'Details', clic on 'Internet Mail' icon clic on 'customise', than on the 'SMTP' tab, and  remove the hook in front of 'Scan outbound mail', clic OK, OK . I do not know wy? but no more error message appear and sympatico mail work fine now. Good luck and I hope this will help you.

Tyflo

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 10:31:12 AM »
Tyflo

It does not help much to add to a post that has not been updated for over a year.

This problem has been covered in a number of other threads.

However, in case anyone else reads this - we know now that Sympatico recommends to its customers to send mail (SMTP) using a secure connection (TLS) on port 25.  This is a rather non-standard use of port 25 and one with which avast cannot contend.  The only realistic solution at present is for users of Sympatico email and avast to turn off outbound email scanning in the avast Internet Mail provider.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:33:11 AM by alanrf »