Author Topic: AVAST 2015 Beta2 (10.0.2200)  (Read 137370 times)

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
Re: AVAST 2015 Beta2 (10.0.2200)
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
So we are losing quite a few protection layers.What if the  hardware virtualization option is off in bios by default as I see a few which are.What's the point of having such a component that isnt necessarily compatible for all types of systems.

Btw,mine is a 3GB ram with hardware virtualization disabled by default? And I guess I have a AMD processor and graphics chip which is pretty good for gaming.

And what if AV-Comparatives and other testers this hardware virtualization off or low level systems?? We are missing off on a huge protection advantage unless there is a backup that can keep up with the protection.

So I have a AMD 4300 HD series graphics chip and Dual core 2.10 GHz processor.This stuff is like Few years old? So this wont work on my system or will it ??
So are there any future secondary layer for deepscreen to compete with the NG protection rate? So we cant test this atleast the free version in VM anymore  ???
Well,its kind of sad because I am sure atleast some of them in our huge avast community may have a slower pc.So NG would not be functional there??
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:21:35 PM by True Ind »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »
Hi pk and RejZor.
Thanks for providing additional information.

REDACTED

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »
It's interesting NG uses VirtualBox, considering Avast (at least IS) is totally incompatible with any VirtualBox versions newer than 4.3.12 as 4.3.14 introduced some stupid hardening features that don't cope well with dll injections and similar things. They already released several 4.3.15 betas, 4.3.16 and now several 4.3.17 betas and still didn't manage to make it work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »
Update from the beta1 UI appeared to go well, no real issues.

I noticed that the UI is displayed after boot and that it has changed slightly - also on that screen the Smart Scan occupies one of the four tiles. Unlike the other three it can't be changed to something that is more commonly viewed in the avast UI.

I can't see me ever using this so called Smart Scan, so it would be nice if that tile could also be changed like the other three - of course the Smart Scan would have to be in the drop down list if it were to be user selectable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »
So we are losing quite a few protection layers.What if the  hardware virtualization option is off in bios by default as I see a few which are.What's the point of having such a component that isnt necessarily compatible for all types of systems.

Btw,mine is a 3GB ram with hardware virtualization disabled by default? And I guess I have a AMD processor and graphics chip which is pretty good for gaming.

And what if AV-Comparatives and other testers this hardware virtualization off or low level systems?? We are missing off on a huge protection advantage unless there is a backup that can keep up with the protection.

So I have a AMD 4300 HD series graphics chip and Dual core 2.1GHz processor.This stuff is like Few years old? So this wont work on my system or will it ??
So are there any future secondary layer for deepscreen to compete with the NG protection rate? So we cant test this atleast the free version in VM anymore  ???
Well,its kind of sad because I am sure atleast some of them in our huge avast community may have a slower pc.So NG would not be functional there??

Good point on hardware virtualization. I wonder what is going to happen to all those old computers still running XP and this new avast! version.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
Good point on hardware virtualization. I wonder what is going to happen to all those old computers still running XP and this new avast! version.

pk earlier mentioned XP will be supported in next release.What I am hoping that NG is just a small kick over and when all detections (dyna-gen) go active there wont be even a marginal difference.But I guess we have to wait until avast! team expand on my point of view.I just hope avast protection rates wont vary largely according to system specs.  :o

Offline neverseen76

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:09 PM »

So I have a AMD 4300 HD series graphics chip and Dual core 2.1GHz processor.This stuff is like Few years old? So this wont work on my system or will it ??

Hi, Tru Ind, this is exactly my concern here... My cpu does not support hardware virtualization at all. So if I stay with Avast 2015, I can never have the same protection of other people. Maybe I'd better switch to another free solution.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »
Hi, Tru Ind, this is exactly my concern here... My cpu does not support hardware virtualization at all. So if I stay with Avast 2015, I can never have the same protection of other people. Maybe I'd better switch to another free solution.

I think you should wait until avast! team tells us what actually is the plan with NG? Is it a major protection difference? Or will it just be a 1% of side kick when all detections (dyna-gen) go online.

And is that what they meant by saying all detection capabilities going online?? Do they mean dyna-gen? Btw,I figured my system does have harwdware virtualization technology so I turned it on so this does work with my setup.

So The BIG question: Will the final's product's protection be determinant to the system specs or not?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:25:29 PM by True Ind »

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »
I was reading what pk said here:
Avast! NG system requirements:
- physical machine
- Vista+ (32-bit OS with 1.5GB+ RAM, 64-bit with 2.5Gb+ RAM), XP will be supported in final release
- VT-X/AMD-V must be enabled in BIOS for all Win8+ 32-bit OS and for all 64-bit OSes (NG will work correctly on other OSes without VT-X/AMD-V)
- 10% free space on system disk, not less than 2GB (this won't be required in final release)
- in RTM, NG will be disabled on slower computers
If NG components is missing in custom installation, you can check "setup.log" why NG can't be installed on your computer.

So I have some questions when this product goes final how is this going to be:

1- So this wont work in VM even in future?

2- Vista+ and Win8+ so you mean if I have win7 or XP I dont need HW or any other thing to be on because thats what I read from when one says Vista+ systems??

3- NG wont work correctly on low systems with no HW?? So will its advantage be cut short to something? Marginal or big difference in detection??

4- NG disabled in slower systems in RTM so will we have this feature in final irrespective of system specs in the final?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:41:54 PM by True Ind »

REDACTED

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »
5 - VT-x is OFF by default on all boards, be it Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or whatelse, so, aside from the enthusiasts, who turn it on, who will actually use NG?

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »
5 - VT-x is OFF by default on all boards, be it Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or whatelse, so, aside from the enthusiasts, who turn it on, who will actually use NG?

+1 good question  :)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
You don't lose any protection layers. If you have HW virtualization feature enable, avast will use NG to analyze malware in DeepScreen, otherwise avast will use classic sandbox. Also, if your system is NG compatible and your system will be low on resources at the moment we'd like to analyze a malware in NG, we'll analyze it in classic sandbox. So you don't need to worry, the malware will be always analyzed.

Or will it just be a 1% of side kick when all detections (dyna-gen) go online.
Our internal tests says, NG improves DeepScreen greatly (nearly 30 percents improvement).

1- So this wont work in VM even in future?
Yes, NG will probably never work in VM (vmware/virtualbox). We were able to use it inside VM, but it was very slow and CPU must support nested virtualization feature. I don't see it's a big problem you won't use NG in VM.

2- Vista+ and Win8+ so you mean if I have win7 or XP I dont need HW or any other thing to be on because thats what I read from when one says Vista+ systems??
Right now, Beta2 supports only Vista+ (Vista/W7/W8/W8.1) OSes, XP will be supported in RTM (it's older OS and we have to implement some drivers for this OS).
Next, VT-X/AMD-V is required ONLY for 32-bit Win8/Win8.1 OSes and for ALL 64-bit OSes. If you have XP/Vista 32-bit then you don't need VT-X/AMD-V at all.

4- NG disabled in slower systems in RTM so will we have this feature in final irrespective of system specs in the final?
Probably not, NG component is not so important to publish system requirements on our website. In next weeks, we'll check which systems are good enough for NG.

Even if you have VT-X/AMD-V disabled in BIOS, sometimes it can be turned on programmatically. We know exactly how many our users have VT-X/AMD-V enabled (or we can enable it) or without it (on XP/Vista as I mentioned).

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
I am little confused. I checked with Speccy :
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 - Virtualization not supported.
So,no NG for me ?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 09:11:54 PM »
I wasn't offered NG during custom set-up.  ???
It wasn't even listed. Tried over the top and a clean install.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »
Tried to test this Beta with and without TimeFreeze on a real system, both times running into a locked up system after running a few files.

But still the system is not infected.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10