Author Topic: Frustrating Google Chrome Flash Adware resolved with Avast  (Read 1344 times)

REDACTED

Frustrating Google Chrome Flash Adware resolved with Avast
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »
Avast, your software rocks!!
System:
Model Name:   MacBook Pro 15 Retina
MacBookPro11,3
Intel Core i7,   2.6 GHz, 16MB RAM, 500GB HD

Background:
In the last  3-4 weeks, I noticed the appearance of flash ads on separate webpage while visiting an unrelated website of interest.  For example:
1. Open Chrome, tab on Apple.com
2. Apple website beautifully opens
3. Click on iPhone or any other area in the Apple web page
4. Apple goes to he iPhone webpage BUT a NEW webpage opens on a separate tab with an Ad.
5. This also occurs when "clicking back" if I wanted to return to prior webpage

I installed Adblocker and Adguard which did block the ads by opening 1-3 additional webpages stating the ads were blocked but this did not eliminated the problem. Reported above problem via Chrome forums, 3 days later, no answer.

I reset Google Chrome, uninstalled it, and even installed ClamXV which discovered 1 suspicious file which was deleted; however, the problem persisted

SOLUTION:
1. Read an article on this growing problems affecting Macs and Avast was recommended
2. Avast installed, scanned showed: 11 infections (3 Trojans and 8 Adwares)  See picture included
3. Selected infections were deleted.

I re-scanned again, and no more infections.  As a matter of fact, I was using Chrome as I wrote this note and no more annoying flash ads appeared.

Avast Team, you guys are great!  Many thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Frustrating Google Chrome Flash Adware resolved with Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
avast! for Mac forum section is here  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0