Author Topic: Anti-theft without mobile data and without Wifi  (Read 3473 times)

polocanada

Anti-theft without mobile data and without Wifi
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:49:30 PM »
Is this correct? Yes / No

1. Anti-theft relies on Wifi or data to regularly send position info to Avast server. Without mobile data/wifi it won't send the position info (and any activity related info) to the Avast server.

2. Without data and wifi - the only thing that works by itself or "automatically" is sending SMS when a new SIM card is inserted (assuming that SIM supports SMS messages).

3. If SIM card is replaced (with no data and no wifi) I still will be able to use SMS commands. However, the chances of somebody trying to put another SIM card into the phone without having done the factory reset first are pretty slim. (Why would somebody do that?) And if they do factory reset, the Antitheft is gone. So the only protection in this case is to have a rooted phone.

4. With having no data plan and no wifi, I see these are the benefits of Avast Anti-theft  (when compared with Samsung or Google My device manager):

-  Avast will send SMS message on SIM change (unlikely scenario through).
-  I can control the device by SMS (assuming the phone can receive and send SMS.)

Bottom line:

So really the bottom line is Avast Anti-theft is really attractive for somebody without data plan who is concerned with losing the phone somewhere where there is nobody around.

Without having a rooted phone, in all other cases there would be little added benefit compared to Google and Samsung service, because they offer tracking through web as well. If the phone is found by a good samaritan, there is a good chance that person will pick the phone when I call it. If the phone is found by a bad guy (or stolen), it will be mostly turned off right away.

I am new with Avast for Mobile. Wifi I tried to searching forum and the web but I can't find conclusive answers.

Thanks!

REDACTED

Re: Anti-theft without mobile data and without Wifi
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
Bump.
.. Does this make sense?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
The fact is your data is more or less protected, not the equipment itself.

In my case, the android device is missing and i got an email notification that SIM was removed. on the avast site there is indicated that a not verified SIM was installed.

But all my attempts to connect to the device, locate it and lock/delete data are useless. And with new SIM card, how can I send SMS to an unknown number?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »
Thanks for chipping in.

So unless Avast qualified staff steps in with different information, my conclusion is Avast is publishing smokin' mirrors and false sense of security because they are not clearly disclosing all "what-if" scenarios and the limitations of the service - whether free or paid.

I understand there are limitations of the system and a lost phone is a lost phone, however, clarity on this subject would be more than fair, rather than broadly worded marketing fluff on their website.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:58:48 PM by polocanada »