Author Topic: Resident Protection Disabled - Revisited  (Read 8182 times)

Fitz

Resident Protection Disabled - Revisited
« on: October 24, 2003, 10:32:59 PM »
Hi there. I have to say I’m disappointed so far… My problem is similar to webwiz’s below, but that thread was of no help to me: Whatever I do, Resident protection is always set to Disabled in the main program, and after booting it always takes about five minutes (!) before the taskbar icon appears in the lower right corner...
To my knowlwdge I haven’t messed with any RPC system, and uninstalling/reinstalling also didn’t help. I’m using Win 98 and the latest version of  Avast (downloaded yesterday).
Any ideas?

techie101

Re:Resident Protection Disabled - Revisited
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 11:22:39 PM »
Fitz,

Unfortunately, W98 tends to leak like a boat with holes so you may have a resource shortage.  The Thread you mentioned with Webwiz covered virtually all the possibilites we could come up with but I can keep on trying if you wish.
If you already followed recommendations in the Thread, then I need not repeat them again.

But believe me....Avast does work fine with W98.  One of my systems is configured that way.  I also use the Pro with XP....also fine.

These type of problems are sometimes caused by software conflicts.
Try temporarily removing all non-essential software from your startup list and see if you can get Avast to run correctly.

Let me know.  Ok?

techie

Fitz

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 01:31:02 AM »
Yep, you were right about it being a software conflict, techie. I seems that Avast doesn't like working together with Webwasher - an ad-filtering software that I use. If I disable Webwasher, Avast works fine..
So problem solved, Thanks!
/Fitz

techie101

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 02:15:17 AM »
Fitz,

That was simple enough....right!
Glad to help.

Come back anytime.

techie ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2003, 02:20:04 AM »
Yep, you were right about it being a software conflict, techie. I seems that Avast doesn't like working together with Webwasher - an ad-filtering software that I use. If I disable Webwasher, Avast works fine..
/Fitz

Fitz, if you have trouble with ad-filtering, why don´t you try Ad-aware Lavasoft, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot and SpyGuard (links here)

For "Cleaning", in this same link are suggestions fully compatible with avast!
Like techie, I have avast! in Win98 and XP and everything works fine...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

nobody

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2003, 04:53:21 AM »
/Fitz

Fitz, if you have trouble with ad-filtering, why don´t you try Ad-aware Lavasoft, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot and SpyGuard (links here)

A small correction to that suggestion: these listed programs (AdAware, SpyBot, etc) do NOT do ad-filtering, they don't remove Ad banners, pop-ups, Flash animation and stuff like this  :P The best software for ad-filtering (small, has more configurable options than any other similar program) is AdMuncher, available here:
http://www.admuncher.com
Yea, it's not free, but it works better than most of the Ad-removing programs I have tried and gives me configurable options which other programs don't provide, and it's small, and it appears to work with Avast and many other programs without any problems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 12:59:59 PM »
A small correction to that suggestion: these listed programs (AdAware, SpyBot, etc) do NOT do ad-filtering, they don't remove Ad banners, pop-ups, Flash animation and stuff like this  :P The best software for ad-filtering (small, has more configurable options than any other similar program) is AdMuncher, available here:
http://www.admuncher.com
Yea, it's not free, but it works better than most of the Ad-removing programs I have tried and gives me configurable options which other programs don't provide, and it's small, and it appears to work with Avast and many other programs without any problems.

Thank you nobody, you're right, ad-aware are not the same as ad-filtering at all.  ;)

techie101

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2003, 04:20:53 PM »
If you guys want something that will knock the socks off just about anything, then look into:
Proxomitron.
Search the web for its home url, I don't remember it.

It is a completley configurable proxy filter which CAN BE ADDED TOO.

I have used Proxomitron with other AVs successfully.
However, I have not used it together with Avast, and am unsure as to its' compatability.  It does have an option to allow sites to "pass" which could be the ticket for using it with AVAST.

techie

kojak

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 05:23:14 PM »
seems that Avast doesn't like working together with Webwasher - an ad-filtering software that I use. If I disable Webwasher, Avast works fine..

Glad to read that your problem is solved.  Just wanted to note that WebWasther is working fine here under both XP Home and Pro, and always has.  Personally, I would do a format to include the boot sector and install a current OS.  After all w98 is antique!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 05:26:49 PM by kojak »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 07:16:42 PM »
If you guys want something that will knock the socks off just about anything, then look into: Proxomitron.
techie

Sorry, techie, unfortunately Proxomitron has died:

Sorry Folks,
I regret to say the Proxomitron web filter is well and truly dead. Unfortunately, while attending a "save the hedgehog" rally, it was fatally mauled by a jealous flock of rampaging echidnas.

For anyone interested in poking around the remains, the final version still works and may be available at independent sites like these...

Proxomitron.info
Proxomitron-J (Japanese support site)
In addition you may want to try these other web filtering programs...

Privoxy
Muffin
Ad-Subtract
WebWasher
P.S. Sorry about the ads here, but this is GeoCities page after all. Of course those using Proxomitron may not see them. :-)

P.P.S. I'm keeping the support AT proxomitron DOT cjb DOT net email address alive for anyone who really needs to contact me, but please understand I'm no longer supporting the program. If you're having trouble with Proxomitron or have questions about using it, there are several message boards that can probably help you out. For details, just check some of the sites listed above.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 10:07:38 PM by Technical »

techie101

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2003, 08:11:16 PM »
Technical,

Thanks for the info.  Sorry to hear that Proxomitron is no longer in developement.

Long live Proxo!

Take Care.
Techie

Fitz

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2003, 08:55:52 PM »
Glad to read that your problem is solved.  Just wanted to note that WebWasther is working fine here under both XP Home and Pro, and always has.  Personally, I would do a format to include the boot sector and install a current OS.  After all w98 is antique!

It's good that Webwasher is working for you. Pesonally I'm just as happy to be rid of it - too many web pages won't load correctly and ends up looking like a mess. Think I might just try this AdMuncher recommended above, looks promising.
Sure I should upgrade to XP. I'll probably save my breath till I get a new computer though, which shouldn't be to long now, to save the extra cost..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 10:08:21 PM »
Does anybody knows if Muffin and Privoxy works on Windows XP?  ;)