Author Topic: Avast EPS blocking websites and can't update WEB SHIELD BLOCKING  (Read 4431 times)

REDACTED

We are using Avast EPS and it is blocking website

We get a "Connection Reset" error for almost every website.

Disabling the Avast Web Shield causes this error to disappear.

Re-enabling the Web Shield, and we are back to the Connection Reset for 90% of the websites we use.

I tried updating the definitions file and program and got an error saying it could not connect to c0231224.u.avast.com (that may not be the correct hostname, that is from memory) and also gave an IP address of 50.7.100.30:80 (also from memory)

THis is causing a huge problem in our school.  We had to disable the Web Shield so we could work.

Offline Chad-bisd

• Hopeful, yet discontent
    • Beckville ISD
Re: Avast EPS blocking websites and can't update WEB SHIELD BLOCKING
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
If you have a content filter or firewall on your main network, you may need to add rules to allow your clients to talk to some of the avast websites.  I would start by looking through your logs or reports for things being blocked/denied, research what those addresses do, and unblocking them if needed.

Since we already have a LightSpeed content filter and a Sophos firewall at school, I disabled web shield in my client config for student computers.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
We have content filtering, but it is blocking the browser from accessing anything.

We have httpd servers running on the same subnets and it can't access them. 

ping, traceroute, telnet all work.  no blocking.

i disable Web Shield -- voila, everything works.  Turn it back on, blammo.. all gone.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
We have content filtering, but it is blocking the browser from accessing anything.

We have httpd servers running on the same subnets and it can't access them. 

ping, traceroute, telnet all work.  no blocking.

i disable Web Shield -- voila, everything works.  Turn it back on, blammo.. all gone.
Have you got a proxy server? What about this content filtering, what is it?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »
I forgot to update this, turns out that it was actually our OLD av/malware software (Symantec) that still had some kind of hooks into the browsers.

We used the Norton remove tool which removes ALL norton/symantec files and it immediately worked.  The issue was not Avast EPS