Author Topic: Enterprise clients using internet to update rather than EAS  (Read 4654 times)

REDACTED

Enterprise clients using internet to update rather than EAS
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »
Hi all,

We use the free EDU version of EAS Build: Jul2013 (8.0.361)

Clients have policy set via the computer catalog but for some reason are not checking for updates and instead each client hammers the net and our filtering system.

I notice that in the install of the client there is an "emergency Avast Update" scheduled task that runs at certain times and when users log in!

Can someone point out the standard places to check for policy for clients checking the server for updates? Does this scheduled task explain some of our internet traffic.

All help appreciated.

Regards

Lawrence

Offline Chad-bisd

• Hopeful, yet discontent
    • Beckville ISD
Re: Enterprise clients using internet to update rather than EAS
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »
I do not run an emergency update task.  I have streaming updates enabled because they are very small, but my clients are getting all of their "main" updates (170MB definitiion files) from our local server.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for that. How are you enabling this in the console?

Regards

Lawrence

Offline Chad-bisd

• Beckville ISD
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
All settings are done in the computer catalog groups.  At the top level "Computer Catalog" properties, I have the Policies: avast! Antivirus -> Updates: Update from EAS. Under Communications: I have the EAS address set, and the option to "Try to find an alternative server if unavailable" checked. Push and Pop selected.

On a computer sub group that stays "frozen" with Deep Freeze, I have the properties set for Policies: avast! Antivirus -> Cloud Services: enable streaming updates checked.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
Hi,

Turns out that taking out the streaming updates has drastically reduced the amount of internet traffic.

How can I check that the clients are still getting updates direct from the console? How often are updates released in this manner? Do clients have a set number of days their definitions can be old for like Symantec used to turn the icon yellow etc?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards

Lawrence

Offline Chad-bisd

• Beckville ISD
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »
While the streaming updates may make a lot of requests and therefore firewall entries, the amount of traffic per streaming update is about 2 to 5 KB per client, per streaming update.  I get maybe 3 streaming updates per day per client.

The streaming updates are really only helpful if you require the absolute latest virus defs as soon as they are available.  Otherwise, wait for your server to get updates and distribute them to the clients on whatever schedule is setup.