Author Topic: Silent dialler threat?  (Read 3442 times)

hawick

Silent dialler threat?
« on: August 07, 2005, 03:22:04 PM »
I have isdn/adsl and avast, but when I ran something called healthplan it found traces of lop.com and some dial-offline among others. Does this mean they can use my computer to charge me massive bills by 'dialling' from me? I'm a private user with just one computer windows 2000 pro
Sorry for the dumbness of the question. Any help advice would be wonderful! Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 03:28:44 PM by hawick »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Silent dialler threat?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 04:10:36 PM »
If you haven't got a modem (dial-up) you are immune to the effects dial-up/dialers, but you could possibly spread it (depending on the type of dialer).

Your firewall (you do have one?) should also notice any activity like (if you had a modem) and block/ask for permission.

For fuller help we would need full details:
What was the virus name, what was the filename, where was it found
example (C:\windows\system32\infected-filename.xxx)?
What actions have you taken to try and resolve the problem?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hawick

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »
Hi David thanks very much for replying. I have heard that such a combination, though unusual, is not impossible?
Because i have spywareblaster, which guards against lop supposedly; could the healthplan have found the lop trace there (a 'conflict' between protections?). I use avast - of course ;) - ad-aware and spybot as well.
There are too many of them (dozens!) to list all the details and can't seem to copy them.
Up to press computer has been working pretty well but being in Slovenia I don't have the usual AOL/McCafee type protections.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 04:28:02 PM by hawick »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 04:43:46 PM »
SpywareBlaster should give reasonable protection against diallers anyway, but not having a dial-up account is better.

avast would/should have indicated on one file if and when it alerted, adaware and spybot are more likely to have detected (dozens) lop.com as avast would probably have a different name for it if it detected it. A search of the Virus Database doesn't return any hits for lop.com when searching for lop.

So was it avast that detected it, if so look in the avast! log viewer here you can export a list. The contents of which you could post.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security