Author Topic: internet explorer 7 beta available for download!  (Read 16784 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: internet explorer 7 beta available for download!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 07:28:33 PM »
I think the best site test will come soon, on the next patch Tuesday at windows update ;D

Got all the updates no probs

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 09:11:20 AM »
Well Ylap,

I am still happy with FF or else I would have had the adfree Opera 8.2 version It was a strange thing IE 7.0 was not launched on a larger scale, but only came out for a small crowd of  beta testers. See: http://www.techlog.nl/archive/2005/08/02/microsofts_ie_team_delivers_a_. Some people, and there are Windows IT Internet gurus among them, feel that Windows still is not secure enough, and that it did not do enough to follow general Internet standards. One actually called for a sort of "boycott". So IE developers rather pleases every Webmaster to run their buggy code  than stick to Internet Standards and have others re-do their homework (approx. half) and have security as a first priority. There are two reasons for this behavior, other than market share. First - No one can deny that the main malware vector on Windows is its built-in browser. Second - It would have been better that the browser code had been separate from the OS. When they made this part of a good NT4 OS, they made a critical mistake as with Active X; and now there seems no point of return. A good security thing in IE 7.0 is the anti-phishing filter. By the way where is the one click safety mode for IE?

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 09:20:14 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 02:56:34 PM »
I doubt that this beta 1 version was ever likely to have a wider release, there has been lots of hype though about IE7 but little substance and only a little fanfare about the beta 1 release. More I believe to stifle the growth of defectors to firefox.

Early beta versions do tend to experience problems so I assume MS didn't want too much whining from those experiencing problems, when they really weren't equipped to resolve their problem. It was meant for release to developers (I believe) so they could check out how it would integrate with their programs/software.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 06:48:01 PM »
A Browser's a Browser .  ;) FF had a few hicups last release. They were onto it in a Flash.
Microsoft are yet to show they have the Resources/Time/Manpower  to  focus on specific Browser issues,  especially with the New "Vista" Operating System . Don't get me wrong, I'd rather Bill Gates running my business than any one else ! He's good , with money !
There's allways one dummy and I'm it. Running now on IE7 scarrrrrrrrrrrry

I think I'm not going to download this "thing" until it will be final version. As all possible unknown security holes scares me too. Besides, I'm happy with stability of my system so I don't want to ruin it.
I'll be keeping a close interest on essexboy's posts from now on !  ;)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 02:16:54 AM »
Any Idea if there will ever Be a Windows 2000 version of IE 7?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

The Maxx

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 05:53:39 AM »
Believe IE 7 will only be made for XP SP2 and Vista.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2005, 02:43:12 PM »
I have also seen that there is no intention to have IE7 available for anything below XP SP2. You can't even get IE6 SP2 if you haven't got XP SP2 installed, you are limited to IE6 SP1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2005, 04:10:42 PM »
Well lots of 98/ME/2k users will be very unhapy about that then
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 05:13:51 PM »
I use '98SE and don't feel at all left out  ;)
Also on XP SP2 I doubt whether I'll use IE 7 , I'm not using IE6 SP2 , so why bother  :o

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 06:05:25 PM »

Well Mac, you have to understand that Windows 98 is obsolete OS and even Microsoft doesn't support it anymore... no updates, no technical support, no upgrades, nothing... and It's normal, that's one hell of a old and underdeveloped OS.

And another thing... I'm sure not all of those applications from OSX Tiger work on earlier versions of OSX... no way, so I'm sure a lot of older OSX version users will be unhappy as well... but that's called progress and you have to keep up with it... there is no other way, there is no return  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 06:09:49 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 06:59:49 PM »
Safari 2.0.x is Tiger Only
Safari 1.2.x and 1.3.x are Panther Only
and Safari 1.0 nd 1.1 are Jaguar Only
safari does not warok on any version of Mac OS lower than 10.2.3 so I see your point

Also Windows 98 was introduced around the same time as Mac OS 8.6 and 9.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 07:24:29 PM »
I use '98SE and don't feel at all left out ;)
Also on XP SP2 I doubt whether I'll use IE 7 , I'm not using IE6 SP2 , so why bother :o
Even if you wanted to use IE6 SP2, you couldn't unless you upgraded XP SP1 to XP SP2.
Given the why bother comment about getting IE6 SP2, why would you not want to upgrade XP to SP2 (even if you have no intention to upgrade to IE6 SP2 or IE7), there are many exploits that have been patched and additional security improvements in XP SP2, so I can't understand why you would be happy to leave your system vulnerable?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 08:05:30 PM »
... and letting those exploits right into your computer and even worse endangering others by letting those exploits spread around... SP2 was never considered as something bad, rather as welcome security patch.

Many people were against SP2 in the beginning (for whatever the reason they had, or they didn't have), but today as we all can see they are quite silent and SP2 is common thing.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 09:52:01 AM »
I use '98SE and don't feel at all left out ;)
Also on XP SP2 I doubt whether I'll use IE 7 , I'm not using IE6 SP2 , so why bother :o
Even if you wanted to use IE6 SP2, you couldn't unless you upgraded XP SP1 to XP SP2.
Given the why bother comment about getting IE6 SP2, why would you not want to upgrade XP to SP2 (even if you have no intention to upgrade to IE6 SP2 or IE7), there are many exploits that have been patched and additional security improvements in XP SP2, so I can't understand why you would be happy to leave your system vulnerable?
DavidR , sorry that you misunderstood what I was saying. I was brief I know.
I have and use XP SP2. Every critical update, patch, etc.
I have IE6 SP2.

I use FireFox as my default browser.
 I find FireFox on my win XpSP2 system (at Home ) and  '98SE comp's (at work ) as Slaaaaap! Hihihihi put's it :
NOT-->
" letting those exploits right into your computer and even worse endangering others by letting those exploits spread around..."
As regards win98SE , my work as a charitable distibutor of refurbished "throw away" Pentium 2&3's means we install win98 SE , get the things internet ready, distribute them to charities, and people less fortunate can get online . I feel this is better than poor people not having access to Internet services. Plus it stops these computer's polluting the environment.
Last I looked, about a week ago there's an anouncement @ Microsoft Win98SE page stating they'll be extending support
Paid incident support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) is available through June 30, 2006.
Announcing additional support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition.
Obviously the latest/best technology is preferable.
As  Slaaaaap! Hihihihi &  DavidR you don't HAVE to know about these facts I suppose you've overlooked them. It's great to clear this up , as some people forget that it's not what computer power you have, but what you want to do with your computer.
-Cheers guy's  :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
As  Slaaaaap! Hihihihi &  DavidR you don't HAVE to know about these facts I suppose you've overlooked them. It's great to clear this up , as some people forget that it's not what computer power you have...

That has nothing to do with power of your computer... now you are the one that misunderstood us. We are talking about obsolete OS versions, and the fact that they are not updated since who knows when (security related patches). That is the problem, power has nothing to do with this fact. I can install Windows 98 Second Edition or Millenium (which is btw, worst of worst OSes ever made on this planet) on my machine and it still be very powerful, but will it be secure enough for me and for all others ? I don't think so...

Charities - tell me about them, I used to work two years fixing, cleaning and preparing those computers for all those who can not afford one. Of course, that was ok back then, since I was involved in those tasks some 10 or more years ago... Windows 98 was still quite fresh back then.

...but what you want to do with your computer...

Well, Just 3 years ago, I was still "figting" with my old Celeron 533... not so powerful baby, but still no one stopped me from producing thousands of graphic materials, literally hundreds of animations, more than 250 musical themes, some 3D renderings and who knows what not... so, as you can see, you don't have to have a Cray to be creative... If I can just show you what I did with my old Amiga, or even Commodore 64, then we're really start talking...

As regards win98SE , my work as a charitable distibutor of refurbished "throw away" Pentium 2&3's means we install win98 SE , get the things internet ready, distribute them to charities, and people less fortunate can get online . I feel this is better than poor people not having access to Internet services. Plus it stops these computer's polluting the environment.

Of course, this would make anyone a wonderful person. If just more people think this way that would be soooo good for this planet and for all those who really can't afford a computer... I was one of them in the past, and I know how happy I would be if my parents could just buy me one... even something low-end, I wouldn't care... I just wanted a computer, and back then, it was something like mission impossible... computers were privilege, not a common thing... and worst of all, they were sooooo unbelievable expensive... Today, just enter the Best Buy here and you can buy brand new Athlon64 driven computer for as less as $550 CAD.. unbelievable power for unbelievable small amount of money (considering what you really get, and believe me you get a lot inside because I checked all those components and they are just amazing)

Have a wonderful day everybody !
Regards !
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 01:56:54 PM by Slaaaaap! Hihihihi »