Author Topic: Avast and MS Outlook conflict each other?  (Read 18551 times)

MarkAsk

Re: Avast and MS Outlook conflict each other?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »
igor,

It looks I misunderstood Tech. I am sorry.

My question last too long....I should make cleayly again here:

Avast+Windows XP sp1+MS Outlook

If Avast!  find some suspicious emails, it will display 3 small windows one by one.
In the first window with title "A virus was found", I clicked "Delete" button,
in the second window with title "Delete file(s)" and option "Delete file(s) permanently", I clicked "Delete" button,
in the third window with title "Suspicous Message!" and buttons "Delete", "Contimue" and "Block it", I clicked "Continue" or "Block it" ("Delete" button normally not available), then my Windows XP stopped for a few minutes....sometimes even need to switch off the power(cannot do restart).

After follow Vlk's instruction (set the sensitivity of the STANDARD SHIELD provider in avast to Normal), I got one suspicious email. This time only the first and the second Avast windows diaplayed (a little better) but the MS Outlook window became blank (white) until I finish a cup of tee...

There must be some reason making the conflict between Avast and MS Outlook.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2005, 04:23:43 PM »
Nothing to do with your problem.

I see that you still haven't installed SP2.
I very strongly recommend you to do so to make your system more safe and less vulnerable to hackers and malware.

Visit [url-http://windowsupdate.micorosft.com]THIS WEBSITE[/url] and kee going there till ALL security patches/updates are installed.

If you have a slow connection, you can order a FREE cd with SP2 from HERE
Remember that if you use the cd, you still have to go to the windows update page to get updates/patches released after SP2.

Not fully up to date systems (like yours) allows malware to spread easier and faster.

Take care and good luck solving that problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 04:27:36 PM by Eddy »

MarkAsk

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2005, 06:05:42 PM »
Eddy,

Thank you.

I might install SP2 after I read some discuss in some forums.
However, did Avast ask that SP2 must be installed in a Windows XP?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2005, 09:36:22 PM »
However, did Avast ask that SP2 must be installed in a Windows XP?
Not necessarily... It works without SP2.
But, like Eddy said and almost every Windows user, it's very, but very, good to install SP2.
I see no problem with your MS Outlook and avast! The problem (strange) for me are the three messages... and not only one.
Are you logged as an Administrator of the system?
The best things in life are free.

MarkAsk

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2005, 01:32:16 AM »
Tech,

Firstly, say sorry to you about what I said.

I remember some people discussed the disadvantage of SP2....I want to have a look before I decide.

So, which message you got if you received email with virus: "A virus was found", "Delete file(s)" or "Suspicous Message!" ?

My problem is my PC may crash when I received email with virus.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2005, 02:52:50 AM »
Tech, Firstly, say sorry to you about what I said.
I'm not able to read your feelings  ;D
But, don't worry, I just note you've not understood what I wrote, nothing more. Besides this, Igor wrote it better than me. Maybe I'm posting to much or too fast  ;D

So, which message you got if you received email with virus: "A virus was found", "Delete file(s)" or "Suspicous Message!" ?
I receive 'A virus was found' if it is a virus.
If it is suspicious and only detected by the Heuristic module, I receive 'Suspicous Message'. So I do not get alarmed because it's just an assumption of infection, not a real one (until that moment).
The message 'Delete file(s)' I do not see... Isn't it just a button on the 'A virus was found' message?
If you press the buttom delete and avast! could not delete you just receive a warning (in red) that the action could not be done. In this case, are you using 'Silent mode' (see Advanced settings of the providers)?

MarkAsk

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2005, 02:54:22 AM »
Tech,

The message 'Delete file(s)' is not just a button on the 'A virus was found' message! It has
title 'Delete file(s)',
two options: 'Delete file(s) to recycle bin' and 'Delete file(s) permanently',
one sub option under 'Delete file(s) permanently': 'If necessary, delete file(s) at the next system start, and
two buttons: 'delete' and 'Cancel'.

You have never seen such message? Perhaps you use Outlook Express instead of MS Outlook. I believe the staff in Avast must know it!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2005, 03:04:21 AM »
The message 'Delete file(s)' is not just a button on the 'A virus was found' message! It has
title 'Delete file(s)',
two options: 'Delete file(s) to recycle bin' and 'Delete file(s) permanently',
one sub option under 'Delete file(s) permanently': 'If necessary, delete file(s) at the next system start, and
two buttons: 'delete' and 'Cancel'.
You have never seen such message?
Sorry Mark, it is everything right... It would be better if since from the beginning we posted a screenshot. We could test with eicar.com test.
The second warning is perfectly normal. It's ok...