Author Topic: Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}  (Read 8839 times)

eric

Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}
« on: October 25, 2003, 02:02:01 AM »
I had first Norton Internet Security with Norton Antivirus installed on my computer (Windows XP). Norton Antivirus did not find any virusses on my computer. I removed Norton Antivirus (not Norton Internet Security) and installed Avast Home Edition on my computer. Avast found the virus "Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}" in some files on my computer.  

When I checked other forums, I discovered that a lot of people have founded a trojan virus on there computer after installing Avast. And they also said that before installing Avast they checked there computer with another anti-virus and he didn't find anything. Could it be that this virus is included in the Avast installation ?

All infected files have the same filelength (=57856 bytes). Some of these files have extension .EXE, the others have extension .CLASS. The infected files are all new files that I never have installed on my computer.

I first did a normal scan. He find some EXE-files infected. A few days later I did a through scan and then he found some CLASS-files and other EXE-files infected.

Where can I find information on this virus. Avast only said that it is a virus but it refuses to give me any information on it. Does Avast has a description list of all the virusses that he can detect ? I have scanned the infected file with Panda free online scanner to get information on it, but he didn't detect the virus.

What is the best Avast configuration for this virus ?

If I put the Avast Standard Shield to "Normal". Will he also check the .CLASS files ?

The Avast Screensaver updates the VRDB database. Does this screensaver also does a virusscan ?

When you run the Avast Screensaver and enable "name extensions (fast)" and "Scan default extensions", does he then also checks by default the .CLASS files ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 02:30:42 AM »
How, I do a lot of questions...  ;D
I´ll answer by parts as I can:

I had first Norton Internet Security with Norton Antivirus installed on my computer (Windows XP). Norton Antivirus did not find any virusses on my computer. I removed Norton Antivirus (not Norton Internet Security)...

Some foruns here discussed the removal of Norton. Try this. It´s a little bit long but as you can see, Norton does not leave the computer so easy...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 02:31:37 AM »
When I checked other forums, I discovered that a lot of people have founded a trojan virus on there computer after installing Avast. And they also said that before installing Avast they checked there computer with another anti-virus and he didn't find anything. Could it be that this virus is included in the Avast installation ?

Could you post the links to these foruns?

I'm not so sure... If avast! has a virus, why don´t others antivirus detect this internal avast! virus? Neither on-line scan nor backup (second) antivirus
like F-Prot and BitDefender acuse no infection...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 02:33:57 AM »
All infected files have the same filelength (=57856 bytes). Some of these files have extension .EXE, the others have extension .CLASS. The infected files are all new files that I never have installed on my computer.

Not all the files that we have we installed... A installation controller (like NortonSweep or Total Uninstaller) do not show any infected file during avast! installation

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2003, 02:35:45 AM »
Where can I find information on this virus. Avast only said that it is a virus but it refuses to give me any information on it. Does Avast has a description list of all the virusses that he can detect ? I have scanned the infected file with Panda free online scanner to get information on it, but he didn't detect the virus.

You have lots of links to virus information here, just browse a little to the topics.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2003, 02:38:53 AM »
What is the best Avast configuration for this virus ?
If I put the Avast Standard Shield to "Normal". Will he also check the .CLASS files?

I think the best configuration serves all kind of virus  ;D
If you are not confident with avast!, let the configuration set to "High". If your system are not powerfull, remain in "Normal".

You can add this specific extension to be scanned into "Stardard Shield" options. In this case, set the configuration to "Custom".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 02:42:28 AM »

The Avast Screensaver updates the VRDB database. Does this screensaver also does a virusscan ?

When you run the Avast Screensaver and enable "name extensions (fast)" and "Scan default extensions", does he then also checks by default the .CLASS files ?

The avast! Screensaver module does not update the VRDB database. The VRDB could be updated while the ScreenSaver (not only avast! but anyone) is running. Also you can set the VRDB to be updated when the computer is idle.

Yes, avast! Screensaver module scans the computer while the Screensaver is running. And no, the .CLASS files are not included into the default extensions of avast!, although you can add it  ;D