Author Topic: Question about virus@asw.cz  (Read 7186 times)

nobody

Question about virus@asw.cz
« on: October 25, 2003, 05:31:19 AM »
virus@asw.cz
This e-mail address is supposed to be used for submitting the virus/trojan samples which Avast can't detect, right? I have done that several times (last week), I have submitted few samples of working trojans and keyloggers, as well as the links to the webpages with many other similar stuff that Avast can't detect (but other antiviruses like AVP, RAV, McAfee can detect all of them). I haven't gotten any replies from Avast team about my submitted samples, and even worse, the fully updated Avast Home Edition still can't detect any of those perfectly working (I have tested all of them) trojans and keyloggers which I got from the webpages of the creators of those trojans/keyloggers and which are ALL detected (with the right name assigned to all of them) by other antivirus products like AVP, RAV, DrWeb, McAfee. So does this e-mail for submitting undetectable (by Avast) virus/trojans still works, or what? If it works, does Avast team even cares about all the submitted samples, or they just simply delete every e-mail that comes to it? If they do care, how long does it takes for Avast to be able to detect the submitted samples? Several weeks? Months? Should I even bother sending the samples and the links to webpages which have a lot of other undetectable samples?

techie101

Re:Question about virus@asw.cz
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 04:52:24 PM »
Nobody....

Easy does it partner!  Although not part of the Avast Team, I do know that the emails are not deleted!
The Avast Team receives hundreds of emails per day relating to virii and system bugs.  They are dedicated individuals who take their job seriously.

It is impossible to answer every email sent in.  Every new build.....every new program update and every new db update reflects the efforts of the Avast Team.

It also reflects the efforts of users like yourself who take the time to send in the "virii", and report the bugs.

thank you for your support
techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 10:12:22 PM »
Nobody....

Easy does it partner!  Although not part of the Avast Team, I do know that the emails are not deleted!
The Avast Team receives hundreds of emails per day relating to virii and system bugs.  They are dedicated individuals who take their job seriously.

It is impossible to answer every email sent in.  Every new build.....every new program update and every new db update reflects the efforts of the Avast Team.

It also reflects the efforts of users like yourself who take the time to send in the "virii", and report the bugs.

techie

I just think like techie  ;)
Easy nobody and just a question, did you submit the files (email attachments) with avast! set to scan the e-mail or not (Outbound check)?

Could you please post the names of the trojans and keyloggers that avast! could not detect?

Thanks for posting  ;)
The best things in life are free.

nobody

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 12:00:42 AM »
Nobody....

techie

I just think like techie  ;)
Easy nobody and just a question, did you submit the files (email attachments) with avast! set to scan the e-mail or not (Outbound check)?

Could you please post the names of the trojans and keyloggers that avast! could not detect?

Thanks for posting  ;)

That doesn't matter whether Avast was set to scan my e-mail or not since as I said, Avast can't detect those trojans and keyloggers that I have submitted. As for names... why do you ask, you don't believe me that Avast can't detect them? Okay, if you want the names of the stuff that I've sent - I can give you 3 of them (the rest would be easy to find once you'll find these ones): for trojans, that would be Beast version 2.02 (Avast can detect the Beast up to version 2.01, but not 2.02 or any "private" versions which aren't available for free... and even version 2.02 is already old, there's 2.05 version will be released soon), plus the C.I.A. trojan (version 1.21 and up), for keyloggers, that would be Fearless Key Spy version 2.0 (again, Avast can detect previous versions, but NOT the newest version and not the "private" versions). You can easily find this stuff just by using www.google.com  ;D There were some other stuff which Avast couldn't detect, all of which is publically available for FREE, from various web pages which can be easily found (if you know what you're looking for  ;)) and which I sent to Avast team.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 12:12:18 AM »
nobody,

You seem reluctant to provide any information to use but what YOU feel in necessary.
The Forum is a learning experience and we cannot help if you decide what WE need to know and what we do not.

Anyway, nothing has changed.  The Avast Team works constantly on updating its' virus database.  If they are not fast enough for you, then you can use something else.

Technical and I both have spent many hours helping users like yourself.  WE both know what facts are important.

Your choice of AV is up to you.

Techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 12:28:12 AM »
nobody,

You seem reluctant to provide any information to use but what YOU feel in necessary.
The Forum is a learning experience and we cannot help if you decide what WE need to know and what we do not.

Anyway, nothing has changed.  The Avast Team works constantly on updating its' virus database.  If they are not fast enough for you, then you can use something else.

Technical and I both have spent many hours helping users like yourself.  WE both know what facts are important.

Techie

Extremely thanks techie.
I wont write anything more than your words... Seems perfectly  ;)

Nobody, you´re wellcome to the foruns. You can help so much avast! improvement. Just send a IM or email to moderators asking for a quick answer. We, the avast! users, are very happy and virus free and trying to help the others. Again, wellcome to the foruns but as you can see for our opinion (and my signature  ;D), you won´t change my mind.

Thanks, anyway. This is a fair play forum  8)

nobody

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 12:41:09 AM »
nobody,

Techie

What "information" do you need me to provide, and what does it have to do with the question I have asked? If you would be more careful, you would've noticed from reading my first post in this thread that I have provided ALL necessary information. I have said that my Avast Home Edition version is fully updated. If you think that I'm lying or that I somehow forgot to use the right setting for some Avast options  ::) then you can check it yourself. I have provided the names and specific versions of the stuff that Avast can't detect, you can easily find it (www.google.com is your friend) and check it yourself. Anyways, my question was specifically addressed to Avast team, all I wanted to know is whether that e-mail address was correct to use for submitting unknown virus samples and links to the places that host them (or maybe I should've used different e-mail address), and whether Avast team reads the e-mails that they receive on this address or not. That is all I asked. If you (or somebody else) doesn't know the exact answer to this question, then there's no need to try answering it.

Walker

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 01:03:36 AM »
... all I wanted to know is whether that e-mail address was correct to use for submitting unknown virus samples and links to the places that host them (or maybe I should've used different e-mail address), and whether Avast team reads the e-mails that they receive on this address or not. That is all I asked...

Hi nobody, welcome to the forum,

I'm only an ordinary user, but 'yes' I believe it to be the correct e-mail. In fact I do get responses from that address.

Good luck.
Walker.

RVC

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2003, 03:05:21 AM »
Gee Nobody
You are a little difficult to please ..dont you think ?.as someone who has tried and tested almost EVERY AV available.....one thing is without question......avast provides the very best Tech support via its forums and direct email of any AV program that I have ever tried!

There may very well be other AV programs that can detect a wider range of Malware ( eg Kaspersky ...SCN)...but most focus their energies on Viruses...... not Trojans and Keyloggers

As an example I currently also use F-PROT 4 Windows as a backup program (on demand)...it is also has an excellent detection rate...however it occassionly gives me false alarms and sometimes misses things that avast flags as being a virus.

The Point I am trying to make is that NO AV program is perfect.....Just go read some of usenet AV newsgroups and read  about all the problems some people have with the McAfee and Norton products?...The difference being that anyone can post a Question or concern in the avast Forums and usually get a response within 24 hours.... not bad I`d say?...Try that With Norton or Mcafee!
Cheers
RVC

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2003, 01:12:48 PM »
The Point I am trying to make is that NO AV program is perfect... Just go read some of usenet AV newsgroups and read  about all the problems some people have with the McAfee and Norton products?... The difference being that anyone can post a Question or concern in the avast Forums and usually get a response within 24 hours... not bad I`d say?... Try that With Norton or Mcafee!
Cheers
RVC

Yeah, RVC. You rule  ;D

Nobody, you can test some Privacy tests here and see more links to av comparison and tests here. Some articles describing ad free systems are here.

As a defense against Trojan horses, I suggest PestPatrol.

You can fill a virus form to avast! team here.

Thanks for your cooperation to make avast! even better!  ;)