Author Topic: Avast Antivirus 7.0.1506 could not update  (Read 9188 times)

REDACTED

Avast Antivirus 7.0.1506 could not update
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »
Hello all,

Please my Avast Antivirus 7.0.1506 (Free and registered) could not update any more. It always stop at the point of "Initializing, please wait...". What do I do.

Daevido

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Antivirus 7.0.1506 could not update
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:11 AM »
Any reason why you use a way outdated version..!??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:29:47 AM »
Hello da_evido! This type of question has been asked several times in this forum where users want to stay with a very old aged version of avast! antivirus program. Avast! will discontinue support to old aged version of avast from receiving VPS and program updates. There are many risks and hazards using old aged version of avast! 1) They will provide less adequate and insufficient protection. 2) Will cause to work improperly 3) Old version of avast won't receive the very best protection compared with latest up-to-date current version of avast! (2014) - (Avast 2015 is currently in beta 3). Including many other risks and hazards.

We strongly suggest you to upgrade to the latest program version of Avast! 2014. Here is how to do it as follows:

1) Download the avast! uninstaller utility via here http://www.avast.com/en-nz/uninstall-utility, but don't run it yet.
2) Download Avast Cleanup Tool via here http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/ Scroll down a bit and you will see a zip file. Click on that and a new window will appear and a tick will be on Avast Cleanup Tool and double click on that, but don't run it yet.
3) Disconnect your computer/laptop from the internet.
4) Uninstall avast via add/remove. After uninstallation it will tell you to restart. Restart it.
5) Run the tool mentioned in step 1 (it will tell you that do you want to run this tool in safe mode, click yes). It will open up your computer in safe mode automatically. Follow the instructions.
6) Turn your computer in safe mode and run the tool mentioned in step 2. Follow the instructions.
7) Download and install a fresh new copy of Avast! Free 2014. Follow the instructions. After installation it will run a quick scan and let that finish. Once finished. Restart your computer manually and after that register your computer of Avast.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:05:37 PM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:18:07 PM »
Any reason why you use a way outdated version..!??

I stuck with AVAST 7.0.1474 because I did not like the changed GUI's nor added bloat that has continued to be added to AVAST ever since. I tried v8 long ago and disliked it, going back to v7 and have kept it ever since.

But the other day after updating W7 to SP1, AVAST v7 created a boot time of 4min. I verified it was AVAST doing this through event viewer and MSCONFIG selective startup. Uninstalled/cleaned reinstalled v7 with a 2min startup, still unacceptable. This is with only File and Web shields installed, no cloud svc, and no auto-update of program (but db, yes).

So uninstalled/cleaned (using AVAST tools in SafeMode, yadda yadda) and tried the newest AVAST 2015 beta 10.something. Booted in 1:15 min, but the machine remained unusable for the next 2 min while AVAST hogged resources. (And again, only installed File & Web shields. No cloud, no streaming updates, no sft updater or other tools or shields.)

I am not interested in having AVAST start up after the other services as that impacts its effectiveness, but I tried it just to see if it would make a diff in boot time, or in any other way. It did not make any appreciable diff.

On top of this, I don't like the whole Win 8 GUI everyone is going to, as if Win 8 is any good or has any kind of rep for being easy to navigate and nice looking.

So if I can't get v7 to work with SP1, it's reluctantly off to a different AV. Which it looks like I might as well do since you are saying AVAST will not support older versions. I find this hard to believe. The virus db updates should work into perpetuity, as there will always be people who prefer the older versions for their own reasons. Newer is not always better. Far from it. And not just with AVAST.

PS I have no other startup programs but Comodo, the AV and Stickies. And without AVAST boot is 42 sec's.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:22:36 PM by bootsy »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 11:25:38 PM »
  The virus db updates should work into perpetuity, 
There is more to catching virus then just virus signatures ...... and you dont get those features in old versions

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:36:47 PM »
  The virus db updates should work into perpetuity, 
There is more to catching virus then just virus signatures ...... and you dont get those features in old versions

No AV program catches 100% of the viruses 100% of the time. No matter how many improvements it gets. The ease of use of v7 and my own personal preference for it over the newer versions makes up for any alleged, perceived marginal difference in its performance, if any even exists in real world use. Common sense and good habits are the greatest deterrent to getting infected. The AV is simply a safety net. I don't expect it to be perfect. It can't be.  So I just as soon use the version I like.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 11:51:26 PM »
  No AV program catches 100% of the viruses 100% of the time.   
Exactely,  and the older the tech the more it lag behind in catching new malware

Twenty percent of all malware appeared in 2013 http://www.pandasecurity.com/mediacenter/news/twenty-percent-malware-appeared-2013/

New malware evry day statistic  http://www.av-test.org/en/statistics/malware/

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 01:04:38 AM »
  No AV program catches 100% of the viruses 100% of the time.   
Exactely,  and the older the tech the more it lag behind in catching new malware

Twenty percent of all malware appeared in 2013 http://www.pandasecurity.com/mediacenter/news/twenty-percent-malware-appeared-2013/

New malware evry day statistic  http://www.av-test.org/en/statistics/malware/

I know you aren't implying an AV built in 2011 cannot catch viruses generated after that build date.... any decent AV with an updated virus db will perform somewhere on the spectrum of effectiveness. The real world diff between v7 from 2011 and ver10 from today would be marginal, if any. Updates in an AV like AVAST are usually more about the GUI and adding features that look good from a marketing perspective, rather than actually making it more effective to any great degree.

Many "upgrades" are also about forcing consumers to give up their rights to privacy. For example, I noticed when installing v8 to try it, AVAST did away with the notice that one can opt-out of the 'anonymous' info that's collected from the users computer and transmitted to AVAST. Instead (in the installation) the screen popped up and said info was going to be collected... and that's it. In the v7 screen, it says info will be collected but you can opt-out and the opt-out was hyper-linked to instructions. Making programs less desirable to the privacy-conscious consumer is one of the hallmarks of newer software, sadly.

But to imply today's AVAST is vastly better at catching viruses than the version from 2011 is saying the 2011 version was cr*p, and we know that's not true. By that reckoning, today's version is also cr*p, but we just won't 'admit' it for 3 years.

Fact is, AVAST has tested well all along. Before I switched to AVAST I was using a 10-yr old version of ESET NOD32, which also protected me just fine all those years.

And anyone who relies on one AV is taking a chance. Most users dbl-chk by scanning with an alternate AV every so often, like MBAM or the like. And so far, v7 of AVAST has been great. Except for this boot problem now with SP1... but the newest AVAST was no better since it booted faster but then hogged the computer for 2 minutes.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 04:13:49 AM »
bootsy! The information that is collected by Avast has nothing to do with contacting their customers. Read this http://www.avast.com/privacy-policy
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
Staticguy: where did you get the impression I thought or said it had anything to do with contacting customers? I don't want info gathered from my computer, period, for any reason, from my AV program. Some people don't mind and that's fine. I do mind, and that's my prerogative.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
Most users dbl-chk by scanning with an alternate AV every so often, like MBAM or the like.
MBAM isn't an AV.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 07:08:24 PM »
Hello all,

Please my Avast Antivirus 7.0.1506 (Free and registered) could not update any more. It always stop at the point of "Initializing, please wait...". What do I do.

Daevido

Try this: Download Updates  Select: "avast! VPS update for versions 5 to 8".
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:40:58 AM »
Staticguy: where did you get the impression I thought or said it had anything to do with contacting customers? I don't want info gathered from my computer, period, for any reason, from my AV program. Some people don't mind and that's fine. I do mind, and that's my prerogative.

Bootsy! The only information that is collected is that you read part 3 - the heading Data collected by specific products. Malware attacks happens all the time is when your computer is not properly secured, not having your computer updated, outdated antivirus software, and etc, and attacks such as DDOS (Disturbed Denial Of Service) happen when users doesn't have an updated antivirus software and I have heard about this just last month. Sooner or later users with outdated Avast! version will be soon upgraded to the latest version of avast . Outdated avast! version will be discontinued.