Author Topic: avast!: Connection timeout  (Read 11699 times)

heldercsousa

avast!: Connection timeout
« on: August 09, 2005, 04:30:21 PM »
 ::)

Hello...

I have a message appearing all the time ... it is the following:

Avast!: Connection timeout
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet connection timeout elapsed. Continue wainting?
(explorer.exe -> mta-v25.level3.mail.yahoo.com:25)

It appears all the time, about 20 messages at the same time.

I know it is from the e-Mail Scanner Service. It looks it´s malwares acting. But I have already runned SpyBot Search&Destroy, Adware and Avast Antivirus, and these messages are keeping.

Would I format my hardDisk? Is there another solution?

Thanks ...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: avast!: Connection timeout
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »
See if increasing the timeout in your email client as well as avast4.ini solves it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 05:55:09 PM »
I know it is from the e-Mail Scanner Service. It looks it´s malwares acting.
Well I would say it is the email scanner as something is trying to improperly (in my opinion) use explorer.exe to send email, so it may well be some form of malware or spambot, etc.

I would suggest a visit to Eddy's web site.
HiJackThis - Eddy's Website click the "HiJackThis Section" and also the "Malware removal instructions and applications" section, and follow the directions there and get back to us if you need more help....

Do you have a firewall if so I would block explorer.exe from accessing the internet; I have done this on my system as there really is no reason to use explorer.exe (save time, etc.) rather than your browser or ftp program, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

darth.mikey

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 06:26:22 PM »
I had the exact same problem just yesterday and i increased the timeout setting in avast(not in the *.ini file though)  i couldn't find any such setting in my email client(mozilla suite) but it seems to be working now as far as i can tell.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 07:08:14 PM »
I had the exact same problem just yesterday and i increased the timeout setting in avast(not in the *.ini file though)  i couldn't find any such setting in my email client(mozilla suite) but it seems to be working now as far as i can tell.
They are, generally, into the email account settings and not into the program settings...
But I'm not sure as I don't use Mozilla Suite.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 08:45:38 PM »
I think we are missing the point here, why extend the timeout delay for a possible malicious use of explorer.exe to send emails?
                   Avast!: Connection timeout
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet connection timeout elapsed. Continue wainting?
(explorer.exe -> mta-v25.level3.mail.yahoo.com:25)

The connection timeout may be caused by the non-standard way they are being sent (just a thought), but in any case it is suspicious, so why extend the timeout and potentially allow the email/s to be sent.

@ heldercsousa
I'm making the assumption that you are not sending any email at the time this comes up?
Are you able to send and receive email using your email program?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

grannymoore

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 10:11:31 PM »
 ;D  Just wanted to say thanks for the tip.  I, too, was getting the Timed Out error in 2 different places each time I tried to access 2 of my regularly accessed sites.  Increasing the timeout settings in the Internet Mail section of Avast to 500 worked like a charm.

On my wish list:  An instruction/help section in Avast to explain what some of these sections handle.  I have no way of knowing what some of the settings are for.  Some of the things it asks if I want to block or allow, I have no idea what they are so how do I figure out what to allow or deny?  ???  It's very confusing for someone who has just installed the program and doesn't know what some of the innerworking programs/files on their computer do.

katy98

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 12:39:28 AM »
>I would suggest a visit to Eddy's web site.
HiJackThis - Eddy's Website click the "HiJackThis Section" and also the "Malware removal instructions and applications" section, and follow the directions there and get back to us if you need more help....<

I wanted to download the Hijackthis file from Eddy's malware site but all I got was a screen with no link to a download, and was in non-English:  (Gebruikersmap niet beschikbaar 

De door u opgevraagde gebruiker heeft geen webspace, of de webspace van deze gebruiker kan niet worden getoond. )

I have been getting this Connection Timeout with my msimn.exe as I use OE, I have stretched my timeout in OE to the max but am still getting the 'timeout warning'. 

I really want the Hijackthis file because Adaware contains files that are password protected because Avast reports it cannot scan due to password protection. and I've never used Spybot before, I am very leary of any spyware program but really want to try Hijackthis.  I would prefer downloading from a site that is recommended HERE because I feel safe with recommendations from this forum vs. just doing a Google Search.

Could someone recommend a reliable site to download Hijackthis, an English version that I could read. I only know English (my downfall). 

TIA, katy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 01:01:50 AM »
1. the Hijackthis Section is in english and dutch.
2. There is also a download section.
3, If you download Eddy's Log File nalyser, I believe there is also a copy of the hijackthis.exe file.
4. Don't worry if avast can't scan some password protected files in either the adaware or S&D folders as both programs protect their quarantine/backup/recovery files, so they aren't detected again.

Program & Tutorial - Also useful as a diagnostic tool - Download HiJackThis.zip - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial 1 or HiJackThis Tutorial 2
For an on-line analysis - HiJackThis Log file - On-line Analysis
Ignore any 023 reference to avast processes, this is a hiccup in the HJT 1.99.1 (especially missing file entry for avast), if you need any help with any of the analysis let us know.
OR HiJackThis Log file - On-line Analysis 2

darth.mikey

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 10:11:05 AM »
The message i saw on my computer had nothing to do with explorer.exe and the pc is clean for sure so nothing suspicious going on here the only thing was i left my email client opened over the night  when i got this "timeouts"  i still can't find any such setting in mozilla suite and  trust me when i say i checked every setting possible but no luck.BTW i ran housecall, avast , ad-aware , spybot , a2 scanner ,  hijackthis , kaspersky online scan , x-cleaner online and all said i was clean so i'm pretty sure the PC is clean  ;) I gotta restart now i got new security updates from MS.

Mikey

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 02:33:00 PM »
So in effect, you didn't have the exact same problem as 'heldercsousa'
I had the exact same problem just yesterday

If Mozilla's email is any thing like Thunderbird you ave to change the user.js file.
This is for Tbird so I don't know if this would work for mozilla email as it may have a different setup as it is a suite and not stand alone as Tbird.

Thunderbird does not provide a way of changing the POP3 timeout in the GUI.  You need to create a user preference override.

You can do this by creating (or adding to) a file called user.js in  your Thunderbird profile folder.

To change the POP3 timeout add the lines:

// Increase pop3 timeout:
user_pref("mail.pop3_response_timeout", 90);

In this example the timeout is set to 90 seconds (instead of the default 45 seconds of Thunderbird). Adjust the time as you need.

grannymoore

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 07:34:44 PM »
I tried to do a scan on HiJack...  but there is no scanner for Tennessee so I don't guess I'll try that.  Anyone know anything about Noadware.net?

o1eal

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 01:59:07 AM »
I helped a friend set up Avast desktop, and he's having a similar problem. He's a bit of a luddite, and I have yet to see this for myself, but he did report this same error message, coming up about 19 times.

His PC is brand new, and I set him up with Avast, Thunderbird, Firefox, and Ad-Aware. He's only been using it for a couple days. It seems much more likely to me that there is some kind of configuration error, than malware, at play here.

I did set up an Avast SMTP alert to send me an email when viruses are found, so it's possible that is what is causing the problem? I tested it and it worked at the time, but maybe there is something I didn't think of.

-Pete

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 02:29:54 AM »
It seems much more likely to me that there is some kind of configuration error, than malware, at play here.
Very often this is the problem indeed... specially when we can't discover the cause  :'(

I did set up an Avast SMTP alert to send me an email when viruses are found, so it's possible that is what is causing the problem?
I think not but who knows. But if this is a timeout problem, can we know again what is really happening and which steps does the user take to solve... I'm lost right now.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 05:01:17 PM »
It entirely depends on what similar means, me need exact information to attempt to give an accurate answer/suggestion otherwise we are guessing too.

If he is getting timeout warnings in Tbird I suggest he (or you) find the user.js file (or create one it is just a text file) and add/edit the points I made in post, Reply #10 above.

I too doubt it is virus activity otherwise your friend would be telling you about the alarms so there wouldn't be any email virus warnings being sent to you, so that shouldn't be the cause.

You don't say the circumstances of when he got the warnings, sending email (with or without attachments) or receiving email?