Author Topic: Additional Ideas/Suggestions - Virtual AV RAM Disk  (Read 2664 times)

REDACTED

Additional Ideas/Suggestions - Virtual AV RAM Disk
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:37:13 AM »
I'm sure I've sent a feedback post about this before, but I can't find it anywhere in the forums so I will start this topic here.

For SSD users and for computers with a lot of RAM like 5+ Gigs, and we know that RAM is obviously faster than any type of storage system and doesn't wear, Avast Antivirus should write and/or intercept data through a virtualized RAM Disk for this reason. Virtualization is already something being worked on with the software, so I think we should focus on that.

Also, I prefer not to rely on 3rd-party sandbox services & Ram Disk software to do what is primarily intended for the Antivirus instead. I am simply avoiding constant writes to an SSD and taking advantage of enough available RAM so that my Antivirus is more efficient at what it does.

Windows 7 and 8 does have better memory management techniques, however, it's impossible to disable write-cache buffer flushing for just one single application at a time and for a predetermined amount of time. This is where my idea/suggestion comes into play. Obviously, this is something the Avast Antivirus software has to decide on it's own using a special algorithm.

Also, I know you have to factor in files already on disk that must be modified or deleted; but, actually, if the Avast engine were to ONLY intercept data from network communication sources and removable media via a "sandboxed" zone in RAM, then I'm sure it could work. It just depends on what data Avast decides to skip (pass through) that will normally write or save onto the physical system without the user noticing anything. I would say it would work sorta like a buffer, but the user has to be aware of this prior to ejecting any removable media--even if it's possible to remove without having the OS eject it safely.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:41:06 AM by JRM75 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Additional Ideas/Suggestions - Virtual AV RAM Disk
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »
Or you just simply use more RAM instead of complicating things through RAMdisk...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog