Author Topic: 7.0.1466 updated to 9.0.2021  (Read 68557 times)

REDACTED

Re: 7.0.1466 updated to 9.0.2021
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »
You guys are missing the point.......
Actually the ones missing the point are those who have no problems running the latest version but still
insist on running something outdated.
You installed the product to keep your system and information safe and then tie it's hands by attempting
to continue the use of old versions.
I have to admit, it at least gives some a reason to argue. Not much else but it's a good topic for getting some things off your chest.

My "point" is that Avast has no right to brute force an install.
Let's take this a step further.......lets say V9 is 100% rock solid...great.....wow, no argument.
My "point" is that I set my update to manual for a reason, some others may as well.
For Microsoft and every other flippin company out there when things are set this way the software doesn't reboot and install on its own.
The risk ?..........I remember last Fall when V9 came out and the combo of stability and Bloatware made it a POS...a liability.  So, for "me" I want to wait until I feel comfortable to make the change.....perhaps I'm more conservative or slower than you....no argument.  The "point" is it should be up to the user to decide when/how/if they upgrade software on their (not Avast's) PC.
Again, if Avast is worried about "compatibility"....but more likely having to support.....just stop the database updates.

So, this thread is about "forced updates".....mine just happens to be V8, OP was V7.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:55:17 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »
What's in the newer versions isn't just what you, and others, consider to be needless bloat. There are also improved detection and removal methods in each succeeding version. [...] It's pretty much true of all AV solutions. They have to keep getting better to try and keep up. The malware authors are continually looking for ways (and finding them) to get around detection methods so those methods have to evolve.

Hey Dch. I think anyone who has used computers for any length of time realizes this, not just about AVs, but all programs. The thing is (and what The Guard here refuses to understand, present company excepted), is that some of us are of the opinion any difference in real world performance between the version we prefer (7.0.1474 from 2012) and today's version would be marginal at best. IOW, v7 still does a good job and some of us are satisfied with any potential trade-off that might exist. If any. In fact, if you could quantify the actual difference in detection and cleaning rate, then weigh that against the chances of getting the exact types of infection(s) where that marginal improvement would make a difference... well that doesn't mean too much to people who never get infected anyway.

I understand the drive for some people to keep their software updated at all times. But not everyone feels that way. And it's funny that at least one of the staunchest supporters and most outspoken members here who have been attacking people who prefer to use a 3yr old version of AVAST, is himself using XP... an OS that is much less safe than W764, and extremely outdated. Yet it must serve his purposes and he must prefer it for his own reasons. And who am I to care if that choice ends up serving him or biting him in the behind? Fact is, I don't. It's his business what sftw he runs, and it's my business which sftw I run. But funny how he can't understand wanting to use older sftw for whatever reasons, when he himself does it.

Regardless, (and it's been said many times now)... AVAST has no right to update sftw when a user has the config set to manual only. If they want to stop supporting a version, the user should get a popup saying it will no longer receive db updates starting on a certain date. But it shouldn't be replaced by AVAST against a user's wishes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:51:56 PM by bootsy »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
The real question is...
Do people want the best possible protection/detection or not?

If not, install Windows 95 (or something like that) and put a pure dos av on it.

REDACTED

« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »
The real question is...

And the very clear and self-evident answer for ALL the people on *this* forum is No, They Don't (because AVAST is not the top-rated AV by ANY independent lab tests, not even in the top 3). But what people understand is there is no perfect AV, so they pick the one they like best, that does a good *enough* job... and many people have traditionally liked the AVAST interface, it's boot time scanner, and configurability. So there is a bit of a trade-off between people picking the absolute highest rated AV program, and one that does a good enough job and appeals more personally for whatever reasons... including the fact it's free.

So you see, it isn't all about getting "the best possible protection/detection" ... or none of us would be using AVAST. It's about finding a balance between protection and convenience, compatibility, and many other factors. And those exact factors are different for each user.

If not, install Windows 95 (or something like that) and put a pure dos av on it.

Apparently you are the one who should take your own advice, if this is how you feel, because you are not using the best protection/detection out there.

The rest of us are fine with simply using a good enough program.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
And the very clear and self-evident answer for ALL the people on *this* forum is No
And you are all people?
because AVAST is not the top-rated AV by ANY independent lab tests
Since when are you able to know how tests are actually performed and how to look at the results? Guess what, avast did not get over 220 million users just by it looks.
Apparently you are the one who should take your own advice, if this is how you feel, because you are not using the best protection/detection out there.
Wow, you must be physic or something if not how do you know what protection I have... :P

REDACTED

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2014, 10:46:08 PM »
And the very clear and self-evident answer for ALL the people on *this* forum is No
And you are all people?

99.9% on this forum are AVAST users... and read the rest.

because AVAST is not the top-rated AV by ANY independent lab tests
Since when are you able to know how tests are actually performed and how to look at the results?

Please. Are you implying there is a conspiracy among the independent labs to pull AVAST out and test it unfairly to attain a skewed negative result? Why not just admit you're wrong, and you DON'T use the "best possible protection" because like the rest of is, good enough is good enough? (Oh yeah, b/c you put your foot in your mouth with that one since that's exactly how those of us feel who use v7 vs 9 or 10.)

BTW you don't have to go all the way back to Win95 to suggest an unsafe, outdated OS... XP will do. Oh wait, you use XP, so I guess that's why you didn't want to suggest that one.

Like I said... we all have our reasons for using the sftw we do.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:48:00 PM by bootsy »

REDACTED

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »
The real question is...

No, that is not the question or even the subject of the thread.
It is not up to Avast to decide what people want.
They have the choice to support what they want and do not want and people can make decisions based on those trade-offs.
Avast has absolutely zero right to force a reboot and install.
Show me in the EULA where the user has given up this right to Avast ?

REDACTED

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »
The real question is...

No, that is not the question or even the subject of the thread.

No, but it is ironic that Eddy brought that up when he himself does not use the best possible protection, since AVAST is not the best possible AV. Plus he uses XP, according to his posts, which means he also chooses to use an old and outdated OS - yet he is chastising people here for wanting to use an older version of AVAST. Go figure.

It is not up to Avast to decide what people want.
They have the choice to support what they want and do not want and people can make decisions based on those trade-offs.
Avast has absolutely zero right to force a reboot and install.
Show me in the EULA where the user has given up this right to Avast ?

It will be interesting to see if AVAST learned anything from this. Let's hope so.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
No, but it is ironic that Eddy brought that up when he himself does not use the best possible protection
I just say one thing. You don't have any clue at all about how and with what I have setup the security. So either prove what you say or shut up.

REDACTED

« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »
It will be interesting to see if AVAST learned anything from this. Let's hope so.

I truly hope so.....I DO have tremendous respect for the people on this forum who spend countless hours helping.
I also DO like Avast and want them to provide the best solution as possible.
I'm hyper sensitive to this subject because many, many, moons ago AVG upgraded from V8 to V9 overnight and bricked countless PCs...it was horrific. 

I truly think Avast can accomplish their goal of migration by "softer" tactics that ultimately have the same end result.
I hope they are listening.  8) 

REDACTED

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2014, 11:45:15 PM »
No, but it is ironic that Eddy brought that up when he himself does not use the best possible protection
I just say one thing. You don't have any clue at all about how and with what I have setup the security. So either prove what you say or shut up.

Eddy, do you not use AVAST? ... and XP?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2014, 11:59:28 PM »

@thekochs,
Actually, they have every right. You also have rights.
If you don't like what they rightfully did to keep your system safe, you can always exercise your right.
Turning this into another one of your novels isn't going to change the facts. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2014, 12:24:11 AM »

@thekochs,
Actually, they have every right. You also have rights.
If you don't like what they rightfully did to keep your system safe, you can always exercise your right.
Turning this into another one of your novels isn't going to change the facts. :)

No, they didn't have the right to do that, regardless of the reason. One could make the case that supplying the user with a choice to update manually is the equivalent (in the eyes of the law) of a binding agreement that AVAST broke when it forced an update that was in direct opposition with the user's stated choices for using that software. If a CEO whose computers became inoperable due to said update decided to sue AVAST for breach of contract, lost productivity and revenue, it would be interesting to see how it would play out in court. Especially when the proper remedy would have been even more easily deployed than a series of forced updates... a simple popup informing the user that version of AVAST was at end-of-life and would no longer receive db updates. An optional button to let AVAST update the machine could have been made available, if AVAST saw fit, along with a button to DECLINE, letting the user/admin decide his or her best course of action. And AVAST would've kept its user-base happy. No one loses. No one would be complaining [about this anyway]. A win/win.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2014, 12:33:29 AM »
@bootsy,
You have the same right as everyone else. If you aren't happy, .....

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2014, 01:12:50 AM »
@bootsy,
You have the same right as everyone else. If you aren't happy, .....

Walking away from a breach of contract is a right, but addressing said breach is a right too. You seem to be overlooking that one.

Users have the right of expectation that when a supposedly reputable company gives them choices about how they can use that company's software, those choices will be honored unless the company alerts them otherwise, first. If people installed AVAST and it warned them that the program might update to a newer version willy nilly against their wishes, even if they chose manual updates, you can bet those users who need or want manual updates would have looked elsewhere for an AV. It is not a trivial configuration setting that AVAST ignored. And users have every right to respond to that breach, whether they ALSO choose to walk away or not. Hopefully instead of losing users AVAST will re-think it's move in light of the RESPONSES... which it why it IS important users respond... so that AVAST can improve its customer support by NOT doing that in the future. If the company doesn't respond to its user base, then 'walking away' will no doubt be the next right people exercise.