Author Topic: 7.0.1466 updated to 9.0.2021  (Read 68747 times)

REDACTED

Re: 7.0.1466 updated to 9.0.2021
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2014, 07:58:33 PM »
Since the few apparently have nothing better to do with their lives, the sage continues.

Funny thing though, the 'few' you refer to want to be here to see this resolved in the future, so they have a vested interest in reading and participating in this thread. You have no reason by your own admission, yet continue to read (AND post!). So who is the one with nothing better to do?  Looks like you from where I stand.
So now you not only continue to post in this mute topic but you also have the gall to tell others not to participate ???

You can participate all you want, bob, but it's YOU that is complaining about the thread.

I suggest you find something better to occupy your time.
Maybe help some of the people in here that have legitimate concerns and/or problems. :)

That sounds like excellent advice for you... since you believe the problems here are not legitimate and you have 25k posts under your belt, why not spend your time helping people you have determined need help. Your determination in this thread, by your own admission, is that it should have been over several pages ago. Right? Isn't that what you yourself said?

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »
I am already helping others. Are you not capable of doing the same ?
Is arguing in this thread really that important ?
You seem to forget who's product this is. If it were yours, then you could decided what you can and can't do.
As long as you still continue to argue your 'point'. You'll also need to accept the views of others.
By now you should have gotten the message that your viewpoint isn't the prevailing one.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »
As long as you still continue to argue your 'point'. You'll also need to accept the views of others.

And your viewpoint, as you yourself said, was that this thread was "crying over spilled milk" and 'should have been over pages ago' which in affect was rejecting everyone's POV who disagreed with YOU, telling the entire thread that NO ONE should be posting here anymore... (unless of course it was to agree with you...). A sentiment I *don't* share. If YOU were accepting of other people's POVs, you would be passing by this thread without telling everyone here it is a waste of time and should have been over.

Devotees of software can do a lot of good on forums like this one... spending hours upon hours helping people... but with some people, the more they post to a forum the more they begin to think of it as their private sandbox and their ego's become inflated and soon they become intolerant of differing points of view. And there is certainly a lot of that here from the sandbox boys. Attempting to belittle and attack people. You have done it in this thread. Eddy has done it, Sheep has done it... several of you. That doesn't mean you have the prevailing viewpoint. It just means you are the most outspoken bullies on the forum. Or at least on this thread. Imho.  Luckily bullies don't bother me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:54:01 PM by bootsy »

REDACTED

« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »
Devotees of software can do a lot of good on forums like this one... spending hours upon hours helping people... but with some people, the more they post to a forum the more they begin to think of it as their private sandbox and their ego's become inflated and soon they become intolerant of differing points of view. ... That doesn't mean you have the prevailing viewpoint. It just means you are the most outspoken bullies on the forum. ... Luckily bullies don't bother me.

Well said.  Bullies do bother me.  I haven't read most of this thread, so I have no idea if what you wrote applies here.  But your words above are so true in general that I had to take a moment to give it a +1.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »
Devotees of software can do a lot of good on forums like this one
That is true, and Bob (and many others) are doing so.
but with some people, the more they post to a forum the more they begin to think of it as their private sandbox and their ego's become inflated and soon they become intolerant of differing points of view
Also true and you are a perfect example of it.
It just means you are the most outspoken bullies on the forum.
If there was a reward for it, you are sure the most favorite candidate to get it.

REDACTED

« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
Devotees of software can do a lot of good on forums like this one
That is true, and Bob (and many others) are doing so.
but with some people, the more they post to a forum the more they begin to think of it as their private sandbox and their ego's become inflated and soon they become intolerant of differing points of view
Also true and you are a perfect example of it.
It just means you are the most outspoken bullies on the forum.
If there was a reward for it, you are sure the most favorite candidate to get it.

Please Eddy, quote one post of mine where I am bullying someone who disagrees with me. (Or anyone, for that matter.) I have been the focus of attack here because I am not intimidated by you. And because your arguments are false and empty and I am easily able to expose that.  If the bullies feel bullied because the intended victim reflects their ire back at them.... well.... that's what bullies get.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »
Post #111

No, my arguments are not false and empty.
You just don't understand how things are working and how/why they are done.
That is something we can't help you with.

REDACTED

« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »
Post #111

Is this supposed to be reference to a post of mine? For some reason my interface does not show post #s, so please supply a link if this is supposed to be an example of my bullying someone. Or is post #111 the one right above?

No, my arguments are not false and empty.

Really? Earlier you chastised the people here who want to use v7 by saying everyone should use the "best defense possible" ... then I pointed out AVAST isn't a top rated AV, so you aren't using the "best defense possible" because like the rest of us, good enough is good enough, and we prefer AVAST. You replied that I don't know anything about what security you use, so I should "shut up." I answered by saying "Eddy, you use AVAST, do you not? And XP?" and you never answered, because of course you do, and of course AVAST is not "the best defense possible" and XP is an old and outdated OS no longer supported by MS and hasn't been for years.

So yes, Eddy, your arguments in this thread have been empty and false, and you don't like me b/c I pointed it out. But it's not my fault. I am not making your arguments, you are. It's too bad they're just so bad

You just don't understand how things are working and how/why they are done. That is something we can't help you with.

Right. OK, then, don't try. It's ok. Let the people here who were upset about the upgrade have their say without attacking them, and let AVAST (hopefully) review the posts and decide if there is anything of worth in this thread to take forward with them in order to help ensure future brand and user loyalty. Because after all, this is about AVAST, not about the egos on this board who just don't like some newbie disagreeing with them.

And BTW, I do help others as well, but on the MyDigitalLife and Seven forums. And I don't doubt the people who have been bullies in this thread have spent a great deal of time helping people in other threads. That doesn't excuse the behavior in this thread, however.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
They don't have the right to force update it? [...] They designed it

Yes, and they designed it to allow the user to OPT OUT OF FORCED AUTO UPDATES and so have no right to override that setting without prior notice, especially since the default is to allow updates so a user must specifically change that setting to prevent them. It is bad business at best and could also be seen as breach of contract. Considering the remedy would have been a simple popup giving notice, to argue against that is to be unreasonable for the sake of being unreasonable.

Bad business for what? Trying to keep you safe? Trust me, old outdated version is not doing that job too well compared to very latest versions. Which are released for that very reason and not just because they are bored. Just update the damn thing and let it go. I just don't get it why all this drama about a thing that is pretty much top priority to perform with security software. One thing is forcing a user to update a media player which, unless there is a critical security issue with it doesn't need updating. Antiviruses or security software in general HAS to be updated as often as possible to provide best protection. If you can't understand this, then we just can't help you in any other possible way...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Does nobody else find it ironic that the forum "Uberevangelists" (not my description, but the one granted by the forum software) have no room in their minds for any other perspective but their own, yet the representative of Avast understood that what the company has done goes against its previous methods of operation and values that Avast has held

I have probably been using Avast for longer than many others on here, having used it since at least version 4 when there were two icons. What was the reason I moved to Avast ?.............because Mcafee became bloated when that moved away from simple AV and each new improvement / feature meant it performed worse for me. More recently look at Windows 8 and what a poor success that has been. Newer isn't always better !

I am willing to accept that my preferences may not suit others, but they suit me and I'm not going to be an evangalist in imposing my view on others, all I will do is share my view, neither will I be converted or be a sheep.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
Bootsy, get out of that carousel.

REDACTED

« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »
They don't have the right to force update it? [...] They designed it

Yes, and they designed it to allow the user to OPT OUT OF FORCED AUTO UPDATES and so have no right to override that setting without prior notice, especially since the default is to allow updates so a user must specifically change that setting to prevent them. It is bad business at best and could also be seen as breach of contract. Considering the remedy would have been a simple popup giving notice, to argue against that is to be unreasonable for the sake of being unreasonable.

Bad business for what? Trying to keep you safe?

No, for trying to keep their user base. There are many choices for AVs, including other free ones. If AVAST wants to keep its user base, and more importantly - grow it - it needs to respect its user base by not pulling the rug out from under it and updating the program against the user's chosen settings.

If, OTOH, AVAST does not want to have to cater to the user's choices in this matter, then they need to remove the setting for manual updates and those who do not want forced updates can find another AV that allows for disabling auto-updates.

And btw, it does not keep a user safer to update them to an AV that crashes their entire system. All it does is cause preventable time loss and headaches for the user. In the instances it did NOT cause a problem and the user was ok with it, that's great. But that didn't happen in every case b/c one size does NOT fit all and that's why notice is required before doing such a thing.

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »
There are many choices for AVs
There certainly are and most of those that leave from here aren't gone for very long.
You also have that choice after you received your answer in reply #3.
But, you're still here trying to convince others that staying with something old
is best. That statement is fine when I tell that to my wife. It isn't good when we're talking about keeping your computer safe.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2014, 10:00:10 PM »
Does nobody else find it ironic that the forum "Uberevangelists" (not my description, but the one granted by the forum software) have no room in their minds for any other perspective but their own, yet the representative of Avast understood that what the company has done goes against its previous methods of operation and values that Avast has held

Drake127 was the voice of reason and was 100% not defensive because he knows this is just business. And the first rule of business is, listen to your user base. It will lead a company to further improvements, more users, more success, etc. 

REDACTED

« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »
There are many choices for AVs
But, you're still here trying to convince others that staying with something old is best.

Please quote me where I say staying with something old is best, as an absolute statement across the board applied to everyone, as you are implying here? I have said no such thing.

In fact I have said several times if the newest version of AVAST suits you, great, use it. I have also said I will be trying the newest version again in the future, as I don't want to use v7 for longer than another year (and that's assuming my secondary scanner doesn't start finding things v7 starts missing before then.)

I have only said *some* people for their own reasons prefer or need an older version of AVAST, and that choice is also valid for those people.

If you are going to attempt to mischaracterize my posts, please provide a link.