Author Topic: 7.0.1466 updated to 9.0.2021  (Read 68783 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: 7.0.1466 updated to 9.0.2021
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2014, 10:59:49 PM »
There are many choices for AVs
But, you're still here trying to convince others that staying with something old is best.

Please quote me where I say staying with something old is best, as an absolute statement across the board applied to everyone, as you are implying here? I have said no such thing.

In fact I have said several times if the newest version of AVAST suits you, great, use it. I have also said I will be trying the newest version again in the future, as I don't want to use v7 for longer than another year (and that's assuming my secondary scanner doesn't start finding things v7 starts missing before then.)

I have only said *some* people for their own reasons prefer or need an older version of AVAST, and that choice is also valid for those people.

If you are going to attempt to mischaracterize my posts, please provide a link.
Pardon my ignorance but if that wasn't your intention then why are you still debating about retaining the old version ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2014, 11:07:49 PM »
There are many choices for AVs
But, you're still here trying to convince others that staying with something old is best.

Please quote me where I say staying with something old is best, as an absolute statement across the board applied to everyone, as you are implying here? I have said no such thing.

In fact I have said several times if the newest version of AVAST suits you, great, use it. I have also said I will be trying the newest version again in the future, as I don't want to use v7 for longer than another year (and that's assuming my secondary scanner doesn't start finding things v7 starts missing before then.)

I have only said *some* people for their own reasons prefer or need an older version of AVAST, and that choice is also valid for those people.

If you are going to attempt to mischaracterize my posts, please provide a link.
Pardon my ignorance but if that wasn't your intention then why are you still debating about retaining the old version ???

Apparently you need to re-read the thread if you aren't even sure what it's about. 

(EDIT: Read the thread title for a hint. This was about AVAST updating users to the newest version when they were using an old version for a reason **and** had manual updates chosen. So when the OP complained about this he was attacked by the fanboys here for wanting to use an older version, and they never stopped attacking whoever was supporting the idea of using an older version of AVAST, even though AVAST itself STILL SUPPORTS MANY OLDER VERSIONS. The point was never that EVERYONE should use an older version -- as you tried to claim just now -- and no one here ever said that. But you already know that. So again, more BS.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:21:35 PM by bootsy »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2014, 11:15:42 PM »
Users like me weren't starting a debate or such things! We simply telling users with old aged out-dated avast antivirus to upgrade to 2014. 2015 RC1 (just released & not to far away for the Official release). I agree with Rejzor reply#104 and Eddy's comments. Our job is to let users know that outdated programs not good enough and simply stating common sense. Rejozor comment on reply#104. Even though he has new/old system configuration and avast still works! Even though I had Windows Vista OS couple of years ago I had avast installed and at present Windows 7 SP1 installed Avast still running excellent as always! Simply complaining about Avast GUI is just a poor bad excuse and also I have read one of the comment made here is that they turned off the heurestics because too much false positive. Get over with... report to avast... false positive is common in antivirus softwares!!!!!
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »
Enough bull I'm finished with this nonsense. The answer has already been given 100 times.
Continue your novel. Bye
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »
Users like me weren't starting a debate or such things! We simply telling users with old aged out-dated avast antivirus to upgrade to 2014. [...] Our job is to let users know that outdated programs not good enough and simply stating common sense.

Did it ever occur to you that the people you are posting to are much older in many cases, with much more experience on computers than you have? That know better what's best for them (or their company) than you do? You don't have a job here, you have a hobby. On top of that most of the replies were not just "advice from well-meaning people trying to help steer users in the right direction" but posts that ridiculed and attacked the people who wanted to continue to use an older version for their own VALID reasons.

The entire emphasis here should never have been on attacking people for using older versions, but on what can be done going forward to help users that ARE using older versions remain in compliance with AVAST and it's schedule of retiring software, going forward, without getting updated against their will again. Because happy users will stay with AVAST, and unhappy users won't. And since this is an AVAST support forum that IS the point and purpose.

Simply complaining about Avast GUI is just a poor bad excuse

For the umpteenth time, the GUI is annoyance but it was never the sole reason people wanted to stick with an older version, from what I read... and I read the entire thread so far. However it IS important to have a UI one is comfortable with especially since this IS security software. And it's certainly a factor in judging how much one likes or dislikes a program, whether it be an AV or a word processing program. And AVAST needs to near what people think about its UIs, along with the rest of the program.

and also I have read one of the comment made here is that they turned off the heurestics because too much false positive.

Something I would not do, but that is certainly their choice and why it upsets YOU, I don't know.

The regulars here take everything far too personally. This is just an AV and people are just wanting to work out the best way to use it going forward, and if someone says they want to use an older version that is still being supported, that is just as acceptable as using the newest version from everyone ELSE'S POV as it's not up to YOU or ME to decide which supported, active version of AVAST someone should use. Sure, make a point, politely, that the newest version is best if it works out for them... but if they don't like or want it for WHATEVER reasons, LET IT GO.

Bob complained about the length of this thread, but if everyone would just have accepted some people want to use old versions, none of the 'fighting' would be here, and the thread would be about 1 or 2 pages long. Or actually, it might have been longer but more productive, b/c the actual SUBJECT of the thread might have been discussed and more people might have joined in if the atmosphere wasn't poisoned by attacks.

To your credit, StaticGuy, you are one of the only ones who, while opposed to anyone using an old version, at least put forth a proposed solution to not getting updated without notice again. THAT's the direction this thread SHOULD have taken, as that addressed the SUBJECT and OP's concern.

Offline dc10boy

« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2014, 04:46:11 AM »
I use v7, it used to be 7.0.1466.  I'm writing here because I know the devs read these forums.

This evening it decided (despite my Update Setting {PROGRAM>Manual}) to give me v9.0.2021.  It was uninstalled exactly 30 seconds after reboot.

The exact same thing happened to me!My XP 64 bit rig was running 7.0.1506, due to its lack of overhead and previous problems updating.All my updates were selected to manual (I NEVER selected update program) and it still force fed me an update on reboot.After reboot I was left with a hung machine with a black screen and a mouse pointer.My machine was a paperweight!After I called tech support they so graciously told me my operating sys was hosed and they could fix it for 179$.I went into safe mode and removed Avast, and all was well.I found a copy of v7.0.1474 and installed that. again all was well.All further attempts to update to the latest version both clean executable and program updates leave me with a black screen dead machine.This is a widespread problem, talk of it is all over the interwebs and this needs to be addressed now!

REDACTED

« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2014, 03:09:26 PM »
Uber-Posters.........WE GET IT...old is bad, new is good.
Even if I can get by that BS and say OK.......the point of this thread is not which version of Avast is better and why you should or should not upgrade.....it is an argument not to be won.  Those who have not upgraded have their own reasons....if the ones that haven't because...."oooppppps I didn't realize" then they will.....but quit beating on the ones who clearly have their legit reasons......you want a novel from me on why I have not ?.........no, of course not......as pointed out some of the Ubers are still using XP......but are they attacked for that ?....no, they have their reasons.

The  flippin point of this thread is NOT, I repeat NOT the above.  It is the fact Avast does not have the right to and should not be re-booting peoples machines with forced upgrades when the user explicitly has said not to (via the Manual setting).
To your own "Uber Forum" rules.....stick to the OP subject.....
OP: "This evening it decided (despite my Update Setting {PROGRAM>Manual))......I am going to be more than unhappy if ever I am lumbered with a v9 as a program update again"
The emergency update is there to "protect" the user from a bad code or VBS update that Avast needs to backtrack on....it is NOT there to force updates especially when Avast on its own decision has put in a MANUAL setting for updates.  Every valid/reputable software company (which Avast is) puts this decision selection in for a reason....it is right thing to do.  Again, I get why Avast is pushing (and why the Ubers are pushing) for upgrading.  However, Avast can simply accomplish the same thing by just stopping the VBS updates.....LEAVE MY PC ALONE !!!!!!!!! Did I say that LOUD ENOUGH..........LEAVE MY PC ALONE.   >:(

So, to hopefully end this thread let me give a solution.
For those who want to stay on older version and delay upgrade.....set update to Manual and Disable/Delete the Emergency Update for Avast in the Windows Scheduler.......that'll do it.  It is a shame this has to be done.....but if Avast cannot be trusted with using heavy handed techniques then more drastic measures needed.

P.S. I will keep posting as long as folks want to argue.....I got no where to go but sit on this forum.  :P  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:12:20 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »
My Comodo Firewall log was getting large amounts of "AvastEmUpdate.exe" traffic. Use at your own risk, but this is what I did to remedy the situation:
  • Go into the AVAST directory and rename "AvastEmUpdate.exe" to "AvastEmUpdate.exe.off".
  • Create a new blank text file and renamed the file to "AvastEmUpdate.exe".
  • Select the newly created "AvastEmUpdate.exe" file and change the file properties to 'Read-only'.

If AVAST will respect your file property settings, this will permanently kill the Emergency Updater.. Since making these changes the Comodo Firewall no longer has to contend with this traffic. BTW, all along I have had the "Task Scheduler" service disabled. As always, YMMV.

REDACTED

« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »
My Comodo Firewall log was getting large amounts of "AvastEmUpdate.exe" traffic. Use at your own risk, but this is what I did to remedy the situation:
  • Go into the AVAST directory and rename "AvastEmUpdate.exe" to "AvastEmUpdate.exe.off".
  • Create a new blank text file and renamed the file to "AvastEmUpdate.exe".
  • Select the newly created "AvastEmUpdate.exe" file and change the file properties to 'Read-only'.

If AVAST will respect your file property settings, this will permanently kill the Emergency Updater.. Since making these changes the Comodo Firewall no longer has to contend with this traffic. BTW, all along I have had the "Task Scheduler" service disabled. As always, YMMV.

How fortuitous! I was just dealing with this last night. I thought I'd disabled it a long time ago, but noticed it had re-created itself. I happened to follow the same path you did, but forgot to set the text file to read only. D'oh! As to Task Scheduler, do you mean you disabled the entire TS service, or just the AVAST task? I tried the latter last night and AVAST just created a new task at reboot. I don't mind disabling the entire TS service, but wasn't sure if W7 uses it for anything important. It was late at that point and I shut down b/f looking into it further, putting is aside for today... then your post. :) Thanks, bud!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2014, 10:44:46 PM »
@ Duran
Avast does have integrity checking, so it may check the integrity of this file replacement hack and replace it. Only time will tell.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »
@ Duran
Avast does have integrity checking, so it may check the integrity of this file replacement hack and replace it. Only time will tell.

Good to know, David, and I saw that when I did not change the properties and my fake AvastEmUpdate was immediately replaced with the real thing.  ;D  "Curses! Foiled again!" ... actually... this is a good thing to add to the list of suggestions for the AVAST team... the ability to turn Emergency Update off.

REDACTED

« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2014, 11:08:10 PM »
As to Task Scheduler, do you mean you disabled the entire TS service, or just the AVAST task?

I'm using Windows XP. In Windows XP the Task Scheduler service is not critical and can be disabled -- which I have had disabled for years.

Doing a cursory search for the Task Scheduler in Windows 7, I'm under the impression that Windows 7 depends greatly on the Task Scheduler set to automatic for "system-critical tasks". Funky!

REDACTED

« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »
@ Duran

Yeah, it's possible that AVAST would disregard my file property settings. However, I made this change on 2014-10-05 and the file has not been replaced. I wanted to wait a week before posting to see if that would happen. As you say, time will tell, but so far it is sticking.

Edit: Fixed the wrong year in date.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:44:05 AM by Duran »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »
the ability to turn Emergency Update off
Nice so that if there was a reason to reverse something that might be causing a problem, this function wouldn't work. ???

REDACTED

« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
I'm using my ZoneAlarm firewall to prevent the updates. I believe thare are two types:

Avast EmergencyUpdate ; this does not seem to be the direct problem, I suspect it is downloading new detection methods, and is a new type of activity.

AvastUpd ; This seems to be the exe responsible for updating the program version.

I have mine setup to prompt every time Avast wants to do something other than definition updates. I can then decide on each occasion if I want the firewall to allow the traffic (My naming might not be precise above). This approach prevents auto updates and restores the control that we thought we had through the Avast config options.