Author Topic: Installation problem  (Read 6009 times)

DelBert

Installation problem
« on: August 10, 2005, 10:58:00 AM »
I'm trying to install Avast 4.6 SBS Edition on a Small Business Server, everything goes fine, until it gets to the service part of the installation progress, and then it stops and won't go any further. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times to no avail.

There isn't any other virus protection software on the machine.

During the installation process I've ended up with a dialog box with "Installation progress" written in large letters across the top and the word 'Service' in the middle, there's no progress bar, the only other thing on the dialog is a cancel button.

What is Avast trying to do at this point, is it setting up an NT service to run Avast in the background? Is there any installation log that I can check to see what point it's getting to? Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Del

terrell

Re: Installation problem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:01:20 AM »
I am having the same exact problem, only with AVAST 4 Server Standard Edition.  I can't seem to find any other information on this topic, although, I agree with your assessment that something is preventing the installation of a necessary service.  Also, rebooting after the failed installation and attempting to re-install AVAST brings up the Uninstall / Change option.  This tells me that at least some of the application is being successfully installed.  Good Luck!!! ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 01:08:21 PM »
Hmm, interesting problem.

What did you fill in on the Service page of the installation wizard, exactly? Your username/password?

You can basically leave both these fields empty which will cause the service to be installed under the LocalSystem account which should be just fine.

But I'm afaid now you'll probably have to uninstall the program, reboot, and install it again... (as it's hard to say in which state it is after the failed installation).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

teobras

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 09:25:47 PM »
...same for me.
Tried to install ADNM, followed the instructions, installed MSDE... more than 2 hours to get the files for mirroring..  >:(
Leaved the account blank.
SQL Service manager doesn't report any local server... but SQLServer is running and up.
When I try to detect servers, no server is found. Tried to manually put the Computer Name, or IP address: nothing.
Tried to stop and then restart services: nothing.
What I must do to have a running console?  ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 07:58:55 PM »
teobras, your problem is different from the DelBert's one. He's talking about avast Server Edition, not ADNM.

Anyway

1. it's normal that the SQL service manager does not show anything. This is because ADNM install MSDE in a crippled mode so that it does not communicate over network (to prevent potential security-related issues in the SQL engine, such as the notorious SQLSlammer)

2. please check if the "avast Management Server" service is running. Administrative Tools -> Services. If not, can it be started?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

terrell

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 06:43:43 PM »
Hello,
I am having the same problem as Delbert.  I have followed your instructions and left the username and password blank which did not help.  The program was uninstalled and then reinstalled also but did not fix the problems.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Forejt

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 08:05:18 PM »
When the installation hangs, right-click on the left-side avast bitmap and from menu select Log. Post a couple of bottom lines, I'll check what's wrong.