Author Topic: Update Error Message  (Read 17750 times)

drahnier

Re:Update Error Message
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2003, 05:27:26 PM »
fwiw:

this problem still exists on one of my systems (see my earlier post in this thread).

no big deal, but very irritating for computer illiterate people ...

Sorcerer

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2003, 12:23:51 PM »
Oh I see; did you select SMTP or MAPI?
MAPI should work without any prerequisities, provided you have an e-mail client supporting this protocol installed and configured on the machine (e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora and a couple of others).
For the SMTP to work, you'd first have to set up SMTP server name/port in avast's settings.

Thanks
Vlk

Hi Vik,
Maybe I'm not understanding but I did set the smtp and port info  in Avast and when I run the asgbug/setuplog it finishes and asks if I want to send and I say yes but error ( usually says unknown error). Now I have the same smtp and port info in Avast as I do in Outlook Express and OE works fine so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Sorcerer

Saf

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2003, 11:44:48 PM »
I E-MAILED THIS ORIGINALLY, BUT NO REPLY YET, HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP:

What operating system are you using? WINDOWS XP WITH SP1
What version of avast! are you using? 4.1.289
What version of VPS file are you using?  FILE VERSION: 0310-2 COMPILATION DATE: 27.10.2003
What is your basic hardware configuration? INTEL PENTIUM III (900 MHZ) 256 RAM
How do you connect to Internet? ALWAYS ON BROADBAND AND RUNNING ZONE LABS FIREWALL (STANDARD VERSION)
What is your e-mail client? OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6
Do you use some other security software? NO
What are the steps to reproduce the bug again? N/A
Do appear some error messages? Which ones? READ BELOW

NATURE OF PROBLEM:
When I switch on computer and the desktop appears, the following happens: A red box appears above the task bar in which the following message appears "avast! Information: An error has occurred while attempting to update! Click here for more information" I CLICK ON THE RED BOX and the following message comes up: "Information about current update: Server www.asw.cz (unknown: 80) is down. Total Time: 1.18)

This always happens when I start up my PC.

Please help resolve the problem as soon as possible.

PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT TECHNICALLY MINDED SO ANY SUGGESTIONS SHOULD BE EASY TO UNDERSTAND!  :D
Regards

Chris H

Re: Update Error Message
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2005, 03:32:37 AM »
I know this is an OLD post but hopefully someone else reads this and it solves their problem.

This is the error I was getting, when trying to do a manual update.  Automatic updates worked just fine.

Information about current update:
Last encountered error: Can't select any server for downloading (from 0).

Total time: 0 s

I noticed that the servers.def file is encrypted.  My Windows Temp folder is encrypted also.  I think Avast is downloading the updated server listing and it goes to my Windows temp folder.  It gets copied from the temp folder to my Setup directory where it remains encrypted.  The strange thing is that I cannot decrypt the file.

I don't know if this is the cause but hopefully it helps someone else.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Update Error Message
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2005, 02:57:32 PM »
I noticed that the servers.def file is encrypted.
Wow... I think not.
It's just a txt file, I can open it in Notepad, copy, edit, everything...  ::)
The best things in life are free.