Author Topic: Windows 10 - Everything you Need and Want to Know  (Read 610174 times)

Offline Pondus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
Re: Windows 10 - Everything you Need and Want to Know
« Reply #540 on: July 30, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »
If you want to get away from abuse or if you dont want any data collection then throw your PC out of the window :)
remeber to wipe the HDD first   ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #541 on: July 30, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
What you should be using is the Windows Media Creation Tool

That the tool I used Bob, I even directed the tech to the same tool and explained the iso download option provided through the tool to which he told me there has been a mistake and the iso option shouldn't be there as a final release iso has not yet been provided.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #542 on: July 30, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
Another reason to wait a bit, unfortunately.  Sorry you've had some serious issues.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1809 Avast Premier Security version 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4793.541) UI version 1.0.415.  Current version is back to Avast Internet Security.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #543 on: July 30, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »
Another reason to wait a bit, unfortunately.  Sorry you've had some serious issues.
Not to worry, I left it in the hands of the tech and he set everything up nicely :)

Offline GIOVANNI39

« Reply #544 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:22 PM »
Hi Friends. If you are eager to get Windows 10 and don't want to wait till christmas, I strongly suggest you Google in "install windows 10" to land up on the microsoft web site were you can download the proper iso image (32 or 64 bits) to burn a DVD for upgrading. If you want to save your applications and personnal files, just open the pc, put in the DVD, plug the internet wire, and click on the iso. Took me about 4 hours to install on a up-to-date win 8.1 laptop and...20 hrs to find the way to burn the file. Personnaly, it worked from Ubuntu. Warn you some drivers are still to be worked on. See how they go, if you loose some functionality like with my touchpad on my desktop were I couldn't scroll anymore, just roll back to the last one driver you had. I think going to Windows 10 is a move  that is the way to go because of the extended support for example!
I personally had a Microsoft tech explain to me today that any iso's for win 10 on their website are tech previews and Microsoft had not yet released any iso's for the final release, if you install via one of those iso's it'll be revoked within the year.

I was going to use one of the iso's as the upgrade screwed my system so bad that even flashing an earlier image and numerous fixes failed to fix the problem to which I was left with the choice of letting a Microsoft tech take control of my system for 2 hours to fix the issue, it was this tech who instructed me not to use any Win 10 iso...even the ones on the Microsoft website.
I dowloaded from there:https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/software-download/windows10
In the control panel/system I have no mention of a preview but yes well the final version of Windows 10 Family edition,  French-Canadian ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:00:06 PM by GIOVANNI39 »

Offline jfox

« Reply #545 on: July 30, 2015, 08:13:30 PM »
I have Avast Enterprise Security, Education. I have Installed Windows 10 professional on 5 computers since the final version was punished, all upgrades from Win7 and Win8.1, all finished within 30-40 minutes. All work perfectly, and all software has worked, except Avast Endpoint Protection. I tried re-installing it. Windows 10 will not let it install. So be aware and don't upgrade until Avast fixes it. :-[

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 59 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #546 on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:18 PM »
I have Avast Enterprise Security, Education. I have Installed Windows 10 professional on 5 computers since the final version was punished, all upgrades from Win7 and Win8.1, all finished within 30-40 minutes. All work perfectly, and all software has worked, except Avast Endpoint Protection. I tried re-installing it. Windows 10 will not let it install. So be aware and don't upgrade until Avast fixes it. :-[
Welcome to the forum. :)
I've notified Avast. Hope it helps.
Free avast! Security Seminar: https://goo.gl/kh3cqR  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 10 Pro v1903 64bit, 8 Gig Ram, AvastFree 19.6.xxxx, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #547 on: July 30, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »
Does that issue with the WiFi thing the news has been talking about only effect computers that use WiFi or Ethernet as well?   Anyone here know how to disable it?
Webbrowser: Google Chrome

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #548 on: July 30, 2015, 11:48:32 PM »
Be warned, any Add-On GPU's are a thorough pain in the (blank) to install drivers for. 5 restarts later, and a million downloads, and I have my 760 running the 3 monitors it's supposed to.

Anyone find Boot times to be very slow?
*Volunteer*.
Tier I SOC Analyst; Threat Hunter; Digital Forensics (no cert); HTB Competitor; Pentester (no cert).

4th Year BCS Student @ The University of New Brunswick.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #549 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:16 PM »
Hi Coolmario88,

The wifi issue can be settled via privacy settings, else all your social contacts that happen to be near enough to your wifi could come to call and have access. Do you have neighbours on facebook? You'd give them free wifi? On ethernet you have to share wifi - do you have ethernet and wifi? But it is the same as with plug-and-play, it can be disabled, all these issues are a threat to users that do not know anything out of the per default settings. Hope for you, you're not one of them. As with script, only a threat to those that do not know how to toggle to block the threatening (mostly third party) ones. For the rest of the masses: ignorance is a bliss and this ignorance of the masses a bliss for MS also... ;D.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Dch48

• Massive Poster
« Reply #550 on: July 30, 2015, 11:58:53 PM »
I wasn't getting any notification that the upgrade was ready so I used the Media Creation tool and set it to upgrade. It downloaded very fast and installed in a reasonable time. Since I had done an 8.1 image backup just previously, I went ahead and got rid of the Windows.old folder through CCleaner. I did have a few issues.

My sound worked fine at first but then went out. I uninstalled the sound card through Device Manager but did not delete the driver software. It reinstalled the card immediately and it works fine.

My screen resolution was screwed up. The desktop picture was smaller and centered in the screen and fonts were too small and sometimes cut off at the bottom. I checked the resolution settings and it was at 2544 X 1431 which my monitor doesn't even support. I set it to 1920 X 1080 and things went back to normal.

After getting the resolution set, my text looked pretty blurry so I had to go through the clearType wizard and set that up.

My Gigabyte utility, EasyTune6, which I was using to control CPU fan speed does not work in Windows 10. I went and got the latest version and it still doesn't work. It will not load and gives a message about a driver error. Right now I have no fan control except what is given in the BIOS and that makes the fan run too fast and noisy.

Everything else is fine. All my files were kept and all my programs run fine. Even the Free Bitdefender AV is working. Classic Shell works perfectly as well.

I also used a program called winaerotweaker to remove the shortcut arrows from the desktop icons and to enable colored title bars for my programs. It worked perfectly and there are other tweaks that can be applied as well.

I'm up and running but I do think the upgrade could have gone better.
Avatar FX6327X desktop, FX-6300 CPU, RX 470 GPU, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64 bit
HP dv6-6140us laptop, A8-3500M APU, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
RCA W101 v2 10" tablet, Intel Atom Bay Trail Z3735F processor, 2GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 32 bit

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 59 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #551 on: July 30, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
Be warned, any Add-On GPU's are a thorough pain in the (blank) to install drivers for. 5 restarts later, and a million downloads, and I have my 760 running the 3 monitors it's supposed to.

Yes to the slow boot times. It was much faster in Windows 8.1 (Which many didn't like  :'(  )
Free avast! Security Seminar: https://goo.gl/kh3cqR  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 10 Pro v1903 64bit, 8 Gig Ram, AvastFree 19.6.xxxx, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #552 on: July 31, 2015, 12:13:09 AM »
Well possibly the boot is slower for me as well, but certainly not a huge pain.
The upgrade for me was seamless, with everything functioning as normal. All of the peripheral software I have installed, stayed installed.
 Frankly, I'm impressed about my experience.
***HP ENVY 15K LT W10 Pro 1903 64Bit/750GB HD/16GB Ram/Avast Premier 19.8.2393 /VS 5.02(WC)/ASB/Mbam 4/Secureline b. 5.5/SANDBOXIE/Prey Project
**HP Compaq 8510p LT W10 Pro 1903 64Bit/1TB HD/8GB Ram/Avast Premier BETA 19.9.2394 /VS 5.02(WC)/ASB beta/Secureline b 5.5/SANDBOXIE/Prey Project 

*Dell Inspiron XPsp4 PRO 32Bit/Avast(since 2002)18.8.2356/OSA/WP/Comodo FW 3.14/Secureline/Comodo IceDragon v.40
<LAYERED SECURITY SOFTWARE PROTECTION ALL>

Offline Dch48

• Massive Poster
« Reply #553 on: July 31, 2015, 12:17:52 AM »

Yes to the slow boot times. It was much faster in Windows 8.1 (Which many didn't like  :'(  )
My boot time is only very slightly slower than it was in 8.1. Only a few seconds.  It was very much slower ( a full minute more) until I took the following steps. First, I ran the registry cleaning part of CCleaner which removed over 90 invalid entries. Then I analyzed the disk with Puran Defrag and found it badly fragmented with the registry fragmented into 27 pieces. I did a boot time defrag and optimized directories. Then when the system came back up, I did another defrag and ran the PIOZR optimizer in Puran defrag. After that, like I said, boot time is back almost equal to what it was in 8.1. I'm going to run the Auslogics Registry Cleaner now which is much more thorough and should speed things up a little more.

Thank God for these third party programs.
Avatar FX6327X desktop, FX-6300 CPU, RX 470 GPU, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64 bit
HP dv6-6140us laptop, A8-3500M APU, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
RCA W101 v2 10" tablet, Intel Atom Bay Trail Z3735F processor, 2GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 32 bit

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #554 on: July 31, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »
An Open Letter to Microsoft’s CEO: Don’t Roll Back the Clock on Choice and Control
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/07/30/an-open-letter-to-microsofts-ceo-dont-roll-back-the-clock-on-choice-and-control/
Win 8.1 [x64] - Avast PremSec 19.9.2394.B1 - CC 5.62 - EEK - Firefox ESR 60.9 [NS/AOS/uBO] - TB 68.1.1 [EM] - ABS/ACP/ASB/ASL.BC
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0