Author Topic: Windows 10 - Everything you Need and Want to Know  (Read 1190757 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Windows 10 - Everything you Need and Want to Know
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »
Puran isn't for Win10 as of yet, the installer is only recommended for XP - Vista - Win7 - Win8.
That doesn't matter. It works perfectly on Win 10. No program has to say Windows 10, or any other version, for it to work just fine.
That is true start8 works perfectly well on my windows 10...

REDACTED

« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »
Has anyone else have problems with third party firewalls?  ???
Win10 won't let me install Private Firewall. And I'm getting ticked off.  >:(
Avast's firewall installs and it's technically a third party firewall. :)
Don't know if what you use is compatible ?
I'm quite happy with the firewall that comes with Windows. :)

I like the HIPS in PFW. It's stronger than Windows Firewall and I'm not to the point of trusting the HIPS in avast free.
I need more information before I activate the HIPS in avast free. To me it seems like another attempt at the old behavior shield.
After using Comodo for a few years, I grew increasingly annoyed by the HIPS functionality and now won't go anywhere near anything similar. I won't use any of the other annoying things like NoScript or WinPatrol either. The Windows Firewall and a good AV are enough. The free AV's out there are all pretty good. Even the improved Defender in Win 10 would suffice for many people.

REDACTED

« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
With xboot you must use windows defrag as that programme talks to xboot about where to place drivers. puran does not
No, but Puran has an optimizer called PIOZR that does the same thing only much faster. I tried that xboot thing and after the 6 reboots and an interminable wait after the second one, there is no improvement in boot time over what I got by cleaning the registry and doing a boot time defrag with Puran. I'll just keep using that.

REDACTED

« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »

Use the SDK optimization method outlined by essexboy. It works.There really isn't any need to add external programs when the function is already part of the Operating System.
Right clicking on your hard drive brings up the following menu:

Maintenance by default happens weekly.
Except that the Windows defrag tool is painfully slow as it always has been. I have used third party defrag programs since Win 98SE and will continue to do so. Puran is simply better. It is also made by the well respected Windows guru, Vishal Gupta. That should be a recommendation right there.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2015, 11:22:29 PM »
Well just goes to show you, it's all system specific
Because I've used both since installing W 8 a long time ago and then W 8.1 and now W10 and I find absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between Puran and Windows Defrag as far as "end results"

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2015, 11:26:53 PM »
Except that the Windows defrag tool is painfully slow as it always has been.

I will second that. Windows is painfully slow. But who better to create tools, then the creator(s) themselves?

Puran is simply better. It is also made by the well respected Windows guru, Vishal Gupta. That should be a recommendation right there.
I don't care who it's created by. I'd rather stick with Items I know work. Windows Defrag made things at least bearable. After hanging on Puran, and a restart, well, feces hit the fan.

Granted, Both hung. But the Windows one didn't boot my system.

Just as a side note. Not dissing Vishal Gupta or anything. However, it is worth noting, Alberta Einstein was a "science Guru" and watched as his own invention blow Hiroshima up.

The Nuke was better then TNT, does it mean we should use it. No.

And yes, I do know this is an extreme example. However, it proves my point. Inventions gone bad, and misused. Until Vishal says it's good for Windows 10, it should not be used.

No Flame war intended.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #606 on: August 01, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »
Get Puran, it's much better than the built in tool.
Puran isn't for Win10 as of yet, the installer is only recommended for XP - Vista - Win7 - Win8.
That doesn't matter. It works perfectly on Win 10. No program has to say Windows 10, or any other version, for it to work just fine.

For some software it definitely does matter.
Case in point; Private Firewall worked great in XP, Vista, Win7 and Win8.1 but won't work with Win10.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #607 on: August 01, 2015, 11:48:20 PM »
Except that the Windows defrag tool is painfully slow as it always has been.

I will second that. Windows is painfully slow. But who better to create tools, then the creator(s) themselves?

Puran is simply better. It is also made by the well respected Windows guru, Vishal Gupta. That should be a recommendation right there.
I don't care who it's created by. I'd rather stick with Items I know work. Windows Defrag made things at least bearable. After hanging on Puran, and a restart, well, feces hit the fan.

Granted, Both hung. But the Windows one didn't boot my system.

Just as a side note. Not dissing Vishal Gupta or anything. However, it is worth noting, Alberta Einstein was a "science Guru" and watched as his own invention blow Hiroshima up.

The Nuke was better then TNT, does it mean we should use it. No.

And yes, I do know this is an extreme example. However, it proves my point. Inventions gone bad, and misused. Until Vishal says it's good for Windows 10, it should not be used.

No Flame war intended.
Sorry but that's a ridiculous analogy and stance. Maybe I shouldn't use Office 2007, PowerDVD, my printer drivers dated from 2010 that work perfectly, my games like World of Warcraft and all the ones in my Steam account, or the myriads of other things that don't say yet that they support Win 10 but work perfectly fine?  Maybe we should have uninstalled everything that didn't say it was ready for 10 before doing the upgrade? I don't think so. You should try things and if they don't work, fine. If they do, don't worry about any "recommendations" on a download page. Almost everything that worked in 8.1 will work in 10. I have only had one exception and that is the motherboard utility from Gigabyte that I was using to control fan speeds.

As another example, the xboot tool recommended by Essexboy is obtained from a page that is labeled as being for Windows 8. Should people avoid that as well?

REDACTED

« Reply #608 on: August 02, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »
Here you go ...  After the upgrade and because there are so many files to shift around the second run (where defrag kicks in) can take up to an hour

Download the SDK web installer from here
Run the installer and select the following:

Leave the location to default

Windows Performance Toolkit 

You must reboot on completion of the install

After reboot set aside about 30 minutes when you will not need the computer

When ready start an elevated command prompt :

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator

Then copy and paste the following command into the black box :

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

Now your PC will be restarted 6 times. With a two minute pause before the tool runs after the desktop loads
After the second reboot the MS defragmentation program is running and is placing the files into an optimized layout, so that Windows will boot up faster
The last Reboots are training of readyBoot. After the training is finished, you'll notice a huge improvement in startup.
This does work but is very slow. One correction though. The Command Prompt is not found in Accessories but rather in the Windows System folder.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #609 on: August 02, 2015, 02:44:03 AM »
There is a much easier way to reach the elevated command prompt and it's been that way since Windows 8.
Right click here (or use the Windows & X key)

And select it:
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #610 on: August 02, 2015, 04:55:41 AM »
Good one Bob Win X for the win.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #611 on: August 02, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
Get Puran, it's much better than the built in tool.
Until they say it's specifically compatible in Win10 there is no way in the world I would recommend Puran, it's fine for older systems but it is a huge risk to use on 10.

The inbuilt Windows defrag works very well and is simply the best tool to use at this stage, I also have ssd's which win defrag can trim in a matter of seconds.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:44:22 AM by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #612 on: August 02, 2015, 06:48:57 AM »
The Command Prompt is not found in Accessories but rather in the Windows System folder.
Right click the Windows icon in taskbar...Command Prompt is right there in the list for quick access :)

REDACTED

« Reply #613 on: August 02, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
The Command Prompt is not found in Accessories but rather in the Windows System folder.
Right click the Windows icon in taskbar...Command Prompt is right there in the list for quick access :)
Not if you have the button replaced by Classic Shell. Then you have to use Win+X

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #614 on: August 02, 2015, 10:17:40 AM »
Not if you have the button replaced by Classic Shell. Then you have to use Win+X
What's the point of Classic Shell now that a proper start menu is included in 10?