Author Topic: Cause of slow boot narrowed down with v7.0.1474  (Read 16269 times)

REDACTED

Cause of slow boot narrowed down with v7.0.1474
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:48:08 AM »
In case this helps any other AVAST user with the same problem... since I updated W7 with SP1, AVAST v7.0.1474 was taking more than two full minutes to boot. (Without AVAST boot time is 42 sec's.) The login screen comes up fast but then the spinning wheel goes on forever even though I have all unnecessary services set to manual and only 3 startup programs.

I disabled COMODO FW wondering if there was a conflict (even though there never was before SP1), but that did not improve boot time.... still over 2 min. I only have three programs in startup: Comodo FW, AVAST and Stickies.

So I turned off the wifi card to stay offline and tried rebooting (with all programs enabled), and boot time was 1:04!

AVAST is obviously grabbing for the network as soon as I login and before the desktop actually comes up... I will look further to see how to delay this behavior until I am fully booted as I don't want to have to remember to get offline every time I shut down, in order to have a fast boot when I start back up next.

And it IS AVAST delaying everything [per Event Viewer] and if I disable AVAST using msconfig I boot fine online or off. But at least I have a clue now to follow up on.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Cause of slow boot narrowed down with v7.0.1474
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:54:06 AM »
No point in trying to troubleshoot an outdated version of avast, doing a clean install of the latest version is recommended.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 02:15:47 AM »
No point in trying to troubleshoot an outdated version of avast, doing a clean install of the latest version is recommended.

No thanks. I want to use v7. (But FTR I DID do a clean install of v10 a few days back and it booted in just over a minute but then left the computer unusable for 2 min while it hogged resources... the same routine I would bet that v7 is doing prior to the DT coming up.)

IAC you obviously haven't read the v7 threads over the last few days here ... some people don't WANT to update. If anyone reading this feels compelled to argue that and not the subject of this thread, please argue it in the v7 threads where that argument is already taking place... or in the "I've had it with AVAST" thread where it is also taking place. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:33:26 AM »
I don't have a clue what version 10 you clean installed  ???

As I said no point in trying to troubleshoot an outdated version of avast, using outdated versions leaves you in a predicament where you are on your own and will receive no support from avast for issues you may be receiving so essentially you are wasting your effort starting this topic.

You might receive VPS updates for old versions but there is no support for bug fixing internal components "hence" outdated software.

On a side note I have read the other topic mentioned and all I can say/do ::)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:37:26 AM by CraigB »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 02:53:37 AM »
I don't have a clue what version 10 you clean installed  ???

v 2015 10.something or other... don't remember now.

As I said no point in trying to troubleshoot an outdated version of avast,

No point to who? You who doesn't care and doesn't use it, or me and those who do?

using outdated versions leaves you in a predicament where you are on your own and will receive no support from avast for issues you may be receiving

I have never asked for help from AVAST. I was directing my post towards other users... those using v7 specifically. Is that not allowed on this forum? I was under the impression any version could be discussed. Especially a version that continues to be popular.

so essentially you are wasting your effort starting this topic.

Because you are aware of every person who will read my post and you know no one with my problem will see it and perhaps get a clue towards what the problem is... or even just how to circumvent it by booting offline? Or maybe you happen to know not one other person is dealing with this problem? I have no such insights.

You might receive VPS updates for old versions but there is no support for bug fixing internal components "hence" outdated software.

Wasn't planning on AVAST fixing any bugs. Just doing some troubleshooting of my own, got somewhere, and thought I'd share in case it helps someone else.

Feel free to skip my posts, I don't mind, really.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:55:08 AM by bootsy »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 02:57:17 AM »
It could be AVAST 2015 Beta 3 (10.0.2201)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:05:49 AM »
You are a strange group of people, you want to troubleshoot outdated versions and complain when there are conflicts or get infected but you all want to stick with software that has moved on for the better in many ways ( other ways can be removed via custom install ;) )

You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink is a quote that best suits this occasion ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:11:46 AM by CraigB »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 03:27:10 AM »
You are a strange group of people, you want to troubleshoot outdated versions and complain when there are conflicts or get infected

Please quote one person complaining about getting infected using v7. (Hint, no one did.) As to "complaining" about conflicts with v7, do you characterize every post in this forum about a problem or issue a "complaint" or do you just choose to mischaracterize the posts you don't care for?

What people have complained about is being updated without their permission, leaving their computers (and in at least one case, a slew of corporate computers) virtually useless. People have also complained about configuration choices dwindling in the newer versions and being forced into features or tools they don't want or need. By contrast, people have been PRAISING v7 in the sense they have stuck with it and want to continue to use it and they continue to like it.

The only people complaining aside from those who got SCREWED by the surprise update when they had AVAST config'd to NOT update, are the people here who want everyone to think and do as they do.

You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink is a quote that best suits this occasion ;D

Maybe stop trying to force feed the koolaid. Not everyone's horse is thirsty. If you are, drink up.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 03:50:26 AM »
Please quote one person complaining about getting infected using v7
Guess you haven't seen that there is a search option on this webboard and/or you don't know how to search.
What people have complained about is being updated without their permission
True, but it happened for a real good reason.
leaving their computers (and in at least one case, a slew of corporate computers) virtually useless.
And who says this wasn't caused by a fault of the admin? After all, he didn't do a fresh install as recommended.
being forced into features or tools they don't want or need.
Totally wrong. No-one is forced to use/install the tools/extra's. It is their own choice. They could have chosen not to install/activate them.
By contrast, people have been PRAISING v7 in the sense they have stuck with it and want to continue to use it and they continue to like it.
Version 7 was good... Back then! Now it is not anymore. New types of threads has risen. Meaning new detection methods are needed which version 7 doesn't have and never will get. It is not only about the vps.

If you don't want the best protection for your system, keep using version 7 (or use something else).
It is very obvious you don't have a clue about computers/software and security.
Please stop whining like a little kid that doesn't get what it wants.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 03:58:12 AM »
It could be AVAST 2015 Beta 3 (10.0.2201)

Yes, that was it. And yes it's a beta whose whole purpose is to work out bugs, (and no, I wasn't willing to continue to use it to help with that effort because it wasn't a version I was interested in sticking with regardless). 

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 04:13:43 AM »
Quote from: Eddy link=topic=156167.msg1131717#msg1131717 date=1412560226[quote
If you don't want the best protection for your system, keep using version 7 (or use something else).

If YOU want the "best protection" you better switch away from AVAST all together, or maybe you don't review the various lab tests.

I don't need "the best protection" and I've said it many times... v7 is fine with me. I don't know why that bothers the few fanboys here or why you are making my choices your business. My choices are not your business. AVAST supports v7.0.1474... YOU don't need to. And since you don't want to, it's a mystery why you don't have anything better to do but post to threads about v7 bothering the people who want to use it.

It is very obvious you don't have a clue about computers/software and security. Please stop whining like a little kid that doesn't get what it wants.

LOL at THAT projection! You (and the other fanboys here) want everyone to use the newest version and when they aren't interested, you become unglued, rude, hostile and attempt to ridicule them into submission. ...How's that workin' for you? 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:18:37 AM by bootsy »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 04:17:30 AM »
Avast 7:

Avast 2014:

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 04:26:04 AM »
IOW, you got nothin'. I mean, here you are with 11k posts... and you haven't addressed the subject of this thread at all, except to tell me to update to another version. If you don't know anything, just move on. It's ok. Don't be embarrassed that you can't help. I really just wanted to share that v7 boots fine with the network off. That's a good clue going forward. But you can go play with your masks and... whatever else you play with.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 04:47:46 AM »
Sure, keep ignorant and dumb.

Get the clue:
since I updated W7 with SP1
avast didn't change, your OS did.
Here is another clue:
Version 7 was good... Back then! Now it is not anymore. New types of threads has risen. Meaning new detection methods are needed which version 7 doesn't have and never will get. It is not only about the vps.
The question is: Do you want good protection for your system or not? If not, don't use a firewall, don't use malware detectors/removers and other security software.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 05:22:50 AM »
bootsy you're the one who posted here with an issue " that's what forums are for " so expect to get reasoning and advice as to why you are having that issue, if you don't want to listen to common sense then you shouldn't bother forums with your rather pointless and remedial issues.

It is quite obvious you have decided to pester this forum with your presence simply for some lack of attention you aren't receiving elsewhere and are revelling in what you have found here and the disarray you are trying to cause.

Most of your posts are in areas that are really no concern of yours so you are just sticking your nose in for the sake of trolling and when you open a topic such as this one you cant accept others advice on why you have issues so hence my earlier post where I stated you having opened this topic is pointless as know one can help you and more to the truth you "don't want help" so please stop wasting yours and our time and move on if you will.