Author Topic: Cause of slow boot narrowed down with v7.0.1474  (Read 16268 times)

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Cause of slow boot narrowed down with v7.0.1474
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 06:01:26 AM »
Eddy your picture makes sense 100% true  :). Avast 2015 picture will be even stronger and will be more powerful and protect users with even more new and improved features.

Bootsy!!! U have no idea what you are talking about! Listen to me and other advanced users like Craig B and Eddy.

Bootsy here's a hint/clue for you. Buy a new computer/laptop and when you want to install avast 2014/2015 (when it comes out as final) come back here and we will show you how to install Avast properly, you will see a big difference. If you don't want to listen to us and keep using a very old aged version of avast! 7. It's your problem not ours and don't waste our time.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:39 AM »
I posted a legit thread about a currently supported version of AVAST. I did not ask for your participation since you are not interested in supporting anyone who wants to use v7 of AVAST. And I have gotten nothing but rudeness and flack from you and Eddy as you continue to post here with nothing to say but to stoke an attempted flame war. I reported your last post to the moderator to ask if I am out of line. If they say I am, I will gladly leave. I have no intention of breaking any forum rules. This is a support forum. It supports v7 of AVAST. My post was about v7. It's that simple. If I didn't get a single reply, that's fine too... but the two of you behaving this way makes it unappealing for some posters to join in, if they use v7 too and wanted to comment on my post, as you have made it clear anyone who uses v7 is an idiot and doesn't belong here, in your view.

Again, whatever the moderator decides is fine with me. I was only posting my finding about v7 booting fine with the network off in case it helps another user. How you can misconstrue that as troll like behavior is beyond me, except it's no wonder that came to mind since it's how you are behaving.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 06:07:04 AM »

Bootsy here's a hint/clue for you. [...] If you don't want to listen to us and keep using a very old aged version of avast! 7. It's your problem not ours and don't waste our time.

YOU are the one wasting your time by posting to a thread you have no intention of addressing except to attack the OP, (me). If using v7 "is my problem" then leave me to it. And other v7 users who still LIKE v7. No one is ASKING you to post in this thread, or any other v7 thread! 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 06:22:52 AM »
Twist it how you will ::)

As I mentioned earlier VPS updates for some of the old versions are supported, fixing problems are not as development on those old versions has ceased which was also the reasoning behind my saying that unless you are going to update then opening this topic was rather pointless.

The whole of this issue with you having to disable your network card prior to shutting down so it will boot correctly is solely because of using outdated software "AV" not keeping up with the further updates and development of the system, yes you can disable your card as a work around or! you could update the AV as suggested to get better compatibility.

Note that the previous update you performed to the unknowm "10"version was a beta and not a stable release as would be advised.

Another thing you could have done is to set avast to start after everything else which is available within the avast settings, you might also find the slow start is caused by Comodo restricting avasts processes during boot :-\
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:28:41 AM by CraigB »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 06:35:59 AM »
I am not talking about attacking the OP (you) and etc and my intentions is very clear that I don't attack users. This forum is all about helping users solve avast issues (current avast! versions), malware issues, and etc etc). Like me and etc we try to help them upgrade to 2014/2015 (when it gets released). Old avast! version will cause problems to computers "PERIOD". Users with old aged version of avast! with current (supported) Windows OS will cause slowdowns and system freeze/slow downs. All it takes for us to do this keeping our Windows OS up-to-date by installating SP1 (making sure all patches is installed), keeping our avast! version with the latest version, and etc etc. Not keeping our computer systems and resources not updated will cause issues and problems and everything will go downhill from there.  I don't post comments on v7 because I don't care about old versions anymore and I have no clue where in this forum talks about old version of avast!

CraigB, Eddy, and etc users like them will agree on me about this!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:43:06 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »
Twist it how you will ::)

I am not twisting anything as this thread clearly shows for all to see.

As I mentioned earlier VPS updates for some of the old versions are supported, fixing problems are not as development on those old versions has ceased

I know all this and knew it before I came here. This isn't the issue and no one is asking AVAST to fix bugs in older versions.

which was also the reasoning behind my saying that unless you are going to update then opening this topic was rather pointless.

Not to people who are still using v7 and perhaps having problems. Problems that might be fixed by simply doing a little user-based sleuthing. Or simply sharing their own knowledge and experience. Someone out there might already have this answer.

The whole of this issue with you having to disable your network card prior to shutting down so it will boot correctly is solely because of using outdated software "AV" not keeping up with the further updates and development of the system,

I realize that's the answer one would jump to, but it's not necessarily true. SP1 was officially released in 2011, the same year v7.0.1474 came out, so it should be pretty compatible with it as SP1 is just a collection (mostly) of all the prior patches, and in fact v7 it works fine on many W764SP1 machines.

yes you can disable your card as a work around

...until the problem is identified and fixed (by me).

or! you could update the AV as suggested to get better compatibility.

I won't repeat for the 20th time why I don't want to use the newest version and am sticking with v7. And I am not alone.

Note that the previous update you performed to the unknowm "10"version was a beta and not a stable release as would be advised.

I started building computers for corporate clients in 1988. I have been online for 26 years, before the Internet when you had to join private services or go on local BB boards. I know all about beta trials. I wanted to see what v10 was like in case I was interested in going that route. I knew I did not like v8 or v9. I liked v10 even less. Regardless of how it might perform once out of beta.

Another thing you could have done is to set avast to start after everything else which is available within the avast settings, you might also find the slow start is caused by Comodo restricting avasts processes during boot

While I don't want AVAST to start after the other services because that cripples it effectiveness, I did try that when this first arose for the sole purpose of seeing if it would make a difference. It did not. I also eliminated Comodo as a possible conflicting problem by completely closing it and disabling all processes in msconfig (no diff) and also by adding all AVAST processes to its Trusted Files. Also, Comodo FW and AVAST v7 have been happily existing side by side for several years now. It was only after the SP1 update the problem started. So it isn't likely Comodo.

The other thing is, v7 AVAST works fine on many W764 machines with SP1, so it isn't incompatible with SP1 per se. IOW, where there is a will, there's a way. It will just take more sleuthing.

Thank you for returning to the thread's subject.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
Old avast! version will cause problems to computers "PERIOD". Users with old aged version of avast! with current (supported) Windows OS will cause slowdowns and system freeze/slow downs.

You are making a sweeping statement that just isn't true. Fact is, v7 is still working fine on many W764 SP1 machines.

Furthermore, W7 is at its end of life. There won't be updates that much longer. SP1 was released the same year as v7.0.1474. And while there have been patches since then, (about 109 so far), they must not affect AVAST or it wouldn't still be flawlessly running on so many machines. 

In the context of this thread, the problem lies in AVAST processes trying to grab the network at boot. I might try disabling the Network shield (which I don't need with Comodo FW and the FW built into the router anyway...) see what more tweaking does.

If I discover anything I will post it here for other v7 users.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »
Actually Win7 is supported until 2020 I think if my memory serves me right, Staticguy is correct in saying that older versions of avast will cause more problems/conflicts in windows software as win7 still has changes within it software taking place every month and the old versions of avast wont be remedied to alleviate any problems that occur, your choice/your risk/your problem so good luck to you.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
bootsy the issues/problems you are facing from the "cause of slow boot narrowed down with v7.0.1474" and etc. issues or problems you may have faced just submit a ticket via avast support ticket. I can say to you this right now that they will ask you to install the latest version of 2014.9.0.2021.

Okay, let me tell you something serious as in the content of malware. Compare malware from many years i.e. 1990-present. How malware has evolved from all those previous years? How has antivirus products has improve from all those previous years? What security measures and precautions did all the security companies and experts from all those previous years come up with? Compare all of these from present?

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »
Bootsy, what, specifically, has you so convinced that you need to use an old version?

Keep in mind this is a network-integrated product whose major selling feature is that it keeps itself up to date even by the minute.  Yes, Avast 7 continues to get virus database updates, but rest assured it cannot detect all forms of modern malware.  Malware writers didn't just stop inventing new ways to infect you 3 years ago.  Beyond that, old versions may fall more and more out of date with the operating systems they run on, which are still getting Windows Updates.

There are good reasons new versions are created.  Let us not forget that you are here with a problem.

You claim to know what you want, but your statement that you only installed the latest beta version and didn't like it implies you're not yet armed with all the information you need to make an informed decision how to move forward.  That's probably why you got critical comments.

Did you try to install the current RELEASE (version 9.0.2021)?  If so, what does it do that you don't like?  Plenty of folks, I'm sure, would be willing to help you diagnose and debug problems with that, because it's current.

You seem to be upset that folks won't help you diagnose problems with (very) outdated software.  Your choice to run such software is certainly yours, but...  The phrase "when you break from the pack you're on your own" seems to apply.  That's just what happens when you hold back from the mainstream - you get less and less support because you're not longer where the action is.

By the way, in another thread you wrote:

And an AV is only a safety net to a savvy user, not their primary security. Primary security is always user-minimized risk.

Absolutely true.  I agree completely.  You clearly know what you're doing.  My question to you above about why you've chosen to eschew 9.0 is serious, not a criticism of your choices.  I'd genuinely like to know why you've decided the current version is not your best choice.

-Noel
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:09:41 PM by NoelC »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »
Whilst an old program version is supported, that is essentially limited to receipt of virus definitions.

Unfortunately since there is no further program development, if this were a startup problem with that program version, it is highly unlikely that program versions of that age are going to be updated. That after all is the likely reason why some people found that their program update was automatically updated despite their program setting, to get around a program problem/bug/feature in some of the old program version/s.

I don't know how your problem might be resolved.

Short of using the latest version, which still receives program development and customising the avast installation (not installing elements that you don't want) I don't really know how your matter can be resolved.

That said the only thing that would be going on close to boot is likely to be avast checking for virus definition updates (VPS), so there could be a possibility to delay the auto VPS update. That is a stab in the dark as there is no way to know for sure if that is the cause.

####
Delay Auto Update - Not sure if this is the same for avast7, but this was in avast8, you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the, C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini.  Win7, location, this folder may be hidden, you may also have to run notepad.exe as administrator to prevent UAC intervention.

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes. You can extend this duration if required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 02:43:43 AM »
That said the only thing that would be going on close to boot is likely to be avast checking for virus definition updates (VPS), so there could be a possibility to delay the auto VPS update. That is a stab in the dark as there is no way to know for sure if that is the cause.

####
Delay Auto Update - Not sure if this is the same for avast7, but this was in avast8, you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the, C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini.  Win7, location, this folder may be hidden, you may also have to run notepad.exe as administrator to prevent UAC intervention.

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes. You can extend this duration if required.

Thanks for this, David. I considered this might be the problem too. Your nifty little config edit did shave some time off. And also things improved on their own over the next couple days [after I started this thread], as if the SP1 update just needed a few more reboots to square itself away, which sometimes happens.

So boot time is now about 1min to desktop appearing and 1:15 to having everything up in the sys tray, which is livable. Delaying viral updates with your suggestion improved this time by about 20 seconds. Good enough! :) Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
You're welcome - you can of course increase the delay and see if that makes any more difference, but I suspect it wouldn't be much given your new boot times.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
You're welcome - you can of course increase the delay and see if that makes any more difference, but I suspect it wouldn't be much given your new boot times.

Actually I put 180 to begin with to give my system a little more time as it's an older (2008) laptop with 4GB RAM and a 2gHz CPU ... mediocre specs by today's standards. I'm sure 120 would have been plenty but I don't mind AVAST waiting a few min. It's a great little tip and I made a note of it for future use. :) (BTW would have clicked on a rep icon for you but from what I can tell they don't use those here? If I am wrong let me know how I can give you credit for your help.)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »
SP1 was officially released in 2011, the same year v7.0.1474 came out
Eh no. Release date of 7.0.1474 is 2012-10-31
Source: http://www.avast.com/release-history