Author Topic: Avast4 and Outlook  (Read 2267 times)

DanMc

Avast4 and Outlook
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:20:41 PM »
I've just loaded the Home edition.  As the XP Home system was going to its initial restart a dialog box opened.  It was only on the screen for an instant and the screen went blank going into restart.  I could see an X in circle on the left side of the box.  It may have been notifying of a problem with the download. 
What I open Outlook, a partial Avast screen also shows over the Outlook. It appears to be the one that appears when Avast is opened.  It goes away after about a second.  I've uninstalled (Avast did not appeat in Add/Remove) using your uninstaller and reinstalled.  Same problem.  Any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast4 and Outlook
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 10:05:01 PM »
I've just loaded the Home edition.  As the XP Home system was going to its initial restart a dialog box opened.  It was only on the screen for an instant and the screen went blank going into restart.  I could see an X in circle on the left side of the box.
avast! providers did not start... the X in the 'a' blue icon means: all providers disabled.

It may have been notifying of a problem with the download.
What do you mean? You've downloaded the setup file and it has errors?

What I open Outlook, a partial Avast screen also shows over the Outlook. It appears to be the one that appears when Avast is opened.  It goes away after about a second.
The splash screen is the Outlook plugin, not the avast! (engine) splash screen.
It's normal that it disappears.

I've uninstalled (Avast did not appeat in Add/Remove) using your uninstaller and reinstalled.  Same problem.  Any ideas?
If avast! does not appear in Control Panel, bad news: your installation is not good...
Do you use any other antivirus in your system?
Do you have any other security applications? (PrevX, startup monitor programs, etc.)?
The best things in life are free.

DanMc

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:24:44 PM »
Start up inspector for windows is installed.  McAfee was uninstalled but it may not be completely gone

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 10:50:29 PM »
Start up inspector for windows is installed.
You should disable it to both install and uninstall avast! or, at least, allow avast setup to do its job.
Otherwise, your installation won't be correct.

McAfee was uninstalled but it may not be completely gone
That seems the major problem... Can you find a good registry cleaner (this avast! forum has a lot of suggestions) or ask for McAfee support?
The best things in life are free.