Author Topic: Hard disk & unite  (Read 3617 times)

poonet

Hard disk & unite
« on: August 10, 2005, 04:54:01 PM »
I´m going to unite (is this correct word "unite" ?) my computer´s hard disks but I´m not sure do I have to take off Avast! backround protect or leave it on ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Hard disk & unite
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 04:57:25 PM »
If you mean you are going to setup a raid with the drives, you need to start from scratch.
eg: reinstall EVERYTHING

poonet

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 05:39:20 PM »
If you mean you are going to setup a raid with the drives, you need to start from scratch.
eg: reinstall EVERYTHING

No no :( I put it this way, is there some process in my computer why I should /need temporarily shut Avast ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 05:41:13 PM »
What exactly is it you want to do with the drives and how do you want to do it?

poonet

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 05:46:01 PM »
What exactly is it you want to do with the drives and how do you want to do it?

I don´t know how to spell it  :( I know it in Finnish but not in English :(
Is this Defragmentation correct term ?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 05:57:59 PM by poonet »

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 06:51:08 PM »
Oh, seems you are talking about defragmentation. Doing it you can leave avast running. I'm using Diskeeper8 Pro and I don't know any defragmentation program, which had any problems with avast providers.  ;)

I hope I understood you correctly.  :-\

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 06:54:55 PM »
Defragmentation of the disk drives/partitions was never on avast!'s way... you can do it hundreds of times if you want, and everything will still be ok. It just reorganizes data on your partitions, so access to those information can be much faster... it doesn't erase or delete anything...

Just make sure nothing "huge" runs in the background while you are doing defragmentation, because it can significantly slow down the defragmentation process.

No need to worry  ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 06:57:11 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

poonet

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 12:09:21 PM »
Oh, seems you are talking about defragmentation. Doing it you can leave avast running. I'm using Diskeeper8 Pro and I don't know any defragmentation program, which had any problems with avast providers.  ;)

I hope I understood you correctly.  :-\

Yes yes yes :) I really talked about defragmentation process in my computer so many thanks to you YLAP and sZc for helps ! I´ll leave Avast on and do the defragmentation :)