Author Topic: Avast! can be uninstalled by doing it in safe mode  (Read 4982 times)

REDACTED

Avast! can be uninstalled by doing it in safe mode
« on: October 05, 2014, 01:38:08 AM »
avast! Internet Security (what i use) can be uninstalled in safe mode or using the uninstall utility. can you set a password authorization for the uninstall utility and safe mode?

THANKS!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast! can be uninstalled by doing it in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 03:16:16 AM »
Not to my knowledge. If you use the "avast uninstall utility" you will be prompted
to reboot into safe mode...click yes. Another handy tool is "Rejzors avast cleanup tool".
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 05:19:26 AM »
Well i mean that i can uninstall avast in safe mode without the authorization password and i don't want that. avast! should add a password authorization to avast! uninstall utility and safe mode

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:10:31 PM »
Well i mean that i can uninstall avast in safe mode without the authorization password and i don't want that. avast! should add a password authorization to avast! uninstall utility and safe mode
I will be really useless. While in Safe Mode, there is no driver/service to protect the password. You can manually delete (almost) any file and get rid of avast! installation (or any other program).
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:39:27 PM »
Is it Possile to add the Authorization Feature on safe mode though?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »
Not really since, as Lisandro stated, no drivers/service is/are running.
Your computer has a safe mode for a reason. If you want to prevent
someone else from uninstalling avast elevate avast to "administrator" level
and make sure anyone else who might use your machine has their own
account and password. Once you elevate to administrator level don't
give out you administrator password.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
Safe mode, I believe should require the user to login as the Administrator or at the least an account with administrator group privileges.

So it isn't as if all and sundry can boot into safe mode and uninstall programs. Ensure the Administrator password is robust and known only to the administrator.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »
As David said, logged with an admin account in Safe Mode, you can delete files, folders, whole programs installations, etc., regardless any other password limitation.
The best things in life are free.