Author Topic: NoScript is this a good add-on in FF?  (Read 3835 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
NoScript is this a good add-on in FF?
« on: August 12, 2005, 12:00:53 AM »
Hello Firefox browser users,

NoScript allows JavaScript, Java (and other) plug-ins only for trusted domains of your choice, this whitelist based pre-emptive blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities known and even unknown. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it good to make FF safer?

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: NoScript is this a good add-on in FF?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:12:54 AM »
Check out the noscript extension page, there are a number of user reviews, some negative.

I also thing there was a warning about it a little time ago, unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it, but it was enough for me not to bother and stick with Script Trap.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MFB

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 12:50:31 AM »
Hello Firefox browser users,

NoScript allows JavaScript, Java (and other) plug-ins only for trusted domains of your choice, this whitelist based pre-emptive blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities known and even unknown. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it good to make FF safer?

greets,

polonus

I use to have that program, it does disable many scripts by default.  Imagine of a website which base mainly on Java Script. 

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 03:21:58 PM »
Hello FIXER,

I am trying it out now, and yes it is rather one-way and solid and  strict, but tweakable, you have to be aware about sites that are just nothing but java script, but even then you can scan it with Dr Web link plug in first, because that is normally working, adblock no problem whatsoever. I never knw that most banners are java script driven, and when you want to close something without java you have to actually close with X in the top hand corner. But for the moment I am not dissatisfied. Javascript gave me the virus shockers once, so like everything in life: try it yourself and you can have a decided opinion. It is not outright bad or buggy.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

DukeNukem

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 03:32:13 PM »
I have been using it for a while, seems ok. Basically it prevents all Java script from websites. Many sites will function incorrectly if you do not add them to the allow list, this is a simple process. All u have to do is click on the noscript logo (by the bottom right in firefox) and select allow [thesitename] U can also forbid added sites from using jscript using the same method.

The great thing is it works on Linux to :)

It can also block Flash player elements from webpages.

Jarmo P

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 10:08:04 AM »
I installed NoScript today and I find it a really wellcome Firefox extension.
It allows net surfer to decide if he wants javascript, java and also Flash and other plugins to be executed on a site or not. And can be turned off on the fly.

A week ago or so I went to search jokes from Google with 'humor' or 'joke' keyword to a special lady.
Soon Avast Webshield was giving a javascript trojan alert :)
Many of those websites would have worked satisfactory enough without javascript. Would have found the "jokes", but not trojans and the popup windows hard to close that despite using firefox were there still ;)

As Avast has only webshield to guard against scripts and anyways I use the free version and as my Sygate firewall either has no script blocking features, I find this a really wellcome extension to FF.

Can be turned on just when going to surf for something dangerous like jokes. Otherwise leave it in 'Allow javascript Globally' setting or just make known the good sites normally used like this Avast forum.