Author Topic: Link to forum  (Read 7388 times)

Culpeper

Link to forum
« on: October 25, 2003, 07:11:35 AM »
suggestion for future program update stop could a link be placed to the support forums using the icon ball right click menu system stop this may increase forum traffic and identify operating system and program specific bugs through multiple users stop

« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 05:57:40 PM by Culpeper »

techie101

Re:Link to forum
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 11:12:17 PM »
culpepper,

Interesting idea, but I think that since any Forum is not  official vendor support but user interaction, an included program link may not be proper.

Once a vendor permits such a direct link purporting support, the liability for any instructions or advice given becomes their's.

I do not find clicking a desktop icon too troubling.

Techie101

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 01:20:00 AM »
no prob! :)

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 04:23:12 AM »
I went ahead and looked at my own installed software that I know have forums like Avast and found only one with a "program" link to public support forums.  It looks like this:

Maybe they should change that description to "public forum" and not "support forum."  I'm just throwing an idea out there to increase traffic because most people just install the ware as shareware and if they're not too technical they will just uninstall the software if they have problems and buy something like Norton from WalMart already packaged.  In my opinion, most people don't think to find the shareware manufacturer's website let alone look for a forum to post questions and comments.

Nevertheless, I absolutely see your liability concerns.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 06:56:16 PM »
culpepper,

As always, you offer food for thought.  Renaming would solve an obvious "legal" issue.

I agree with you that many users of software never avail themselves of help that is easily obtained.

It is a shame that many excellent software programs never reach their true potential because of the lack in user support (meaning recommendation, purchase etc.)

Take Care,
techie101 :D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 06:57:02 PM by techie101 »

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 07:18:03 PM »
I love any good alternative to mainstream overrated programs like Norton.  In fact, if I didn't have so much time and effort loaded on my machine in a Microsoft Windows environment I would switch over to Linux.

Like I've mention before in other threads, I was using PC-Cillin with a year's subscription.  It had everything like email scanning, firewall, script blocking, and so forth but it kept crashing my machine.  I put up with this for a year and then started looking around.  Tried one of your competitor's but thier email plugin would scan my entire inbox each time I opened my email client.  I didn't like that.  So I looked some more and found Avast.  It has been working very well on my machine and would recommend it over any mainstream AV program out there.

You guys overseas are doing a great job here so keep it up.  "When left alone the invisible hand of supply and demand will take care of itself."  I see a wonderful future for Avast.

techie101

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 08:41:52 PM »
culpepper,

Yes, mainstream programs have a place.  ANY AV vendor that is out there to defeat the virus threat is respected by me.

That is not to say that I agree with the "greatness" of their programs.

Only because I saw in Avast a superior potential, and the willingness to expand and improve, that I devote much time to this forum not only in learning more of AVAST, but in helping other users.

To the other AV vendors....You have a place, BUT move over....HERE COMES AVASAT!!!

Techie ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 02:31:05 AM »
I do not find clicking a desktop icon too troubling.
Techie101

Could you make the login into foruns just clicking a link?
Could you past the properties of this link? (masking your personal data)?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 09:22:48 PM »
If anybody wants to configure Spamihilator and avast! to be used in the same computer, please, see this related forum.
The best things in life are free.