Author Topic: avast & mail washer  (Read 10187 times)

sears54

avast & mail washer
« on: October 25, 2003, 04:53:10 PM »
???   Can anyone here tell me if Avast works with the Mail Washer program????? What I want to know is if I run Mail Washer will the Avast still detect viruses..

Walker

Re:avast & mail washer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 05:07:40 PM »
Hi sears54,

I don't personally use mailwasher, but there is a thread here  http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1483;start=msg8911#msg8911 about Spam tools. You'll see that Technical who is experienced with Avast seems hapy with the combination. Hopefully he'll tell you himself.

Good luck,
Walker

w0mbat

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 06:07:27 PM »
I use Mailwasher Pro with Avast avast and experience no issues at all.
Have aslo set up configurations with Mailwasher standard.
All have no worries.  :)

w0mbat

Jarron

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 02:21:24 AM »
I'll second what w0mbat says.  I have also used MailWasher, both PRO and free, with avast! with no problems.

The mail scanning is completely independent of MailWasher.  MW does not download the email, at least not any kind of attachments, executables, webbugs or whatever that might be harmful (only text).  Whatever email I decide to keep after reviewing it is downloaded into Outlook and is scanned by the avast! Oulook program as normal.

If it is possible to download something harmful in MW the resident scanner should catch it, but I have never heard of anything like that happening and I believe it would be very unlikely if not impossible.  I believe you will actually be safer using MW along with avast! as another layer of defense as you can delete all questionable email on the server.

Technical might be able to explain better or correct me, but I'm positive you will not be any less safe with mailwasher.

Jarron

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 02:46:52 AM »
I'll second what w0mbat says.  I have also used MailWasher, both PRO and free, with avast! with no problems.

The mail scanning is completely independent of MailWasher.  MW does not download the email, at least not any kind of attachments, executables, webbugs or whatever that might be harmful (only text).  Whatever email I decide to keep after reviewing it is downloaded into Outlook and is scanned by the avast! Oulook program as normal.

If it is possible to download something harmful in MW the resident scanner should catch it, but I have never heard of anything like that happening and I believe it would be very unlikely if not impossible.  I believe you will actually be safer using MW along with avast! as another layer of defense as you can delete all questionable email on the server.

Technical might be able to explain better or correct me, but I'm positive you will not be any less safe with mailwasher.

Jarron

Jarron told everything. w0mbat and Walker are correct too.
MailWasher has one limitation at the Freeware version: just one POP account.
Fortunately, I have the old 2.0 version, works perfectly with avast! and allow more the one POP account.
No troubles with viruses using MW and avast!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 03:09:56 AM »
Tech,

What are the benefits of using MW as opposed to filtering tools in Outlook (or in my case Pegasus)... I've never tried MW

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 12:34:11 PM »
Tech,

What are the benefits of using MW as opposed to filtering tools in Outlook (or in my case Pegasus)... I've never tried MW

Thanks.

You´ll have more freedom and possibilities of configuration...
MW just download few information about the emails, filter them (black list and friends list), you can save (export) your configuration for using in another machine (which is not posible with OE), you can delete the e-mail before it was downloaded from the server... Lots os advantages, if you want more information, try the developer web page.

Walker

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 07:59:00 PM »
You´ll have more freedom and possibilities of configuration...

Thanks Tech,

I'll have a look at the link, but it looks as though I've already got all of that with Pegasus  ;)

Lito

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2003, 01:54:32 PM »
I prefer Magic Mail Monitor or PopPeeper over the new Mailwasher because they are 100% freeware with no limitations ;)

Cheers, Lito.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2003, 02:33:56 PM »
I prefer Magic Mail Monitor or PopPeeper over the new Mailwasher because they are 100% freeware with no limitations ;)

Cheers, Lito.

They were quite different applications:

Magic Mail Monitor has the following primary features:

easy to learn explorer-like user interface
 unlimited number of maildrops
 thorough status reporting
 secure information storing
 secure authentication supported via APOP
 custom notifications per each mailbox
 MCI device playback notification
 shell open command notification
 pop-up message notification
 message header preview
 time elapsed since last successful check
 QuickView
 QuickReply
 QuickSend
 QuickDelete
 QuickTools toolbar
 On-line help

Description
POP Peeper is a utility that runs in your Windows task bar and alerts you when you have new email on any of your POP3, Hotmail, MSN or Yahoo accounts. You can also use POP Peeper to read and delete your email. POP Peeper supports HTML email, so you can see your email the same way as you would in your email client.
Requirements
  - Windows Operating System
  - One or more supported email accounts
  - Internet Explorer 4 (or better) for certain features (Webmail and viewing HTML)

POP Peeper these ones:

Completely Free: No Ads. No Registration. No Fees.
Easy Setup
Compatible with the following Server Types: POP3, Hotmail\MSN, Yahoo
Read and delete email without opening your email client
HTML Email Support
Save or Open File attachments
No account limit -- notifies you of an unlimited number of accounts
Be notified of new email with visual and\or audible indicators

But neither of them automatic delete or black list the senders... They do not allow to see the plain text of the message body...

We are talking about quite different applications from MailWasher...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 09:22:58 PM »
If anybody wants to configure Spamihilator and avast! to be used in the same computer, please, see this related forum.