Author Topic: length of scan  (Read 2940 times)

tonykwong

length of scan
« on: August 12, 2005, 03:10:20 AM »
I have 95,000 files. It take about 20 minutes to complete the scan in Full mode. It seems longer than before. I'd defraged and removed temp file and emptied recycle bin. Anyone has the same length scan time with about 95,000 files? Or am i just a bit paronoid. ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: length of scan
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 03:23:37 AM »
Tony, the number of the files depends on your system, how many archive files you have (*.zip, *.cab, etc.).
But one thing is making me paranoid: 95,000 files (from archive files) should take more but more than 20 minutes to finish...  ::) ???
Unless you have a lot of *.txt, or pictures and images, etc.
If you're clean, don't worry about this. I'm just curious about what kind of files were so fast scanned  :o
The best things in life are free.

tonykwong

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 03:48:39 AM »
Tech - Thanks for the reply.  I really don't have that much doc. files - I do have a lot of jpg.??? (pictures) and songs.  It just seems strange that it used to be shorter time to scan.  The archive files? I don't really know. Should i just ignor the archive files?

MFB

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 05:22:46 AM »
Scanning archive files takes alot longer.  I rarely scan archives but I kinda suggest scanning archives once every two weeks or one week if you feel you might get infected quickly.   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 02:00:55 PM »
Should i just ignor the archive files?
Fixer gave you the answer.
Archive files should not be scanned on-acess (Standard Shield) to avoid performance degradation but, from time to time, you should scan them on-demand just to be sure you don't have any 'hidden' virus in your system. Don't worry, avast! will detect it when the archive is opened and you're not be infected anyway. It's a precaution, some one could not sleep well if a 'virus' is sleeping (non-active) in his computer too  ;D
The best things in life are free.