Author Topic: Problems with Avast! Free v2014.9.0.2021 on startup. Only just started.  (Read 9153 times)

REDACTED

Re: Problems with Avast! Free v2014.9.0.2021 on startup. Only just started.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
I really appreciate the ideas bootsy but there's a bit of a problem with that ini editing idea and that is that I didn't have this problem a few days ago and I've personally never touched the ini, as it's way too important.

Also... if it were just the startup that was bugging me I would do so... but the shields etc are a massive issue, even hours or even days after the last startup, I mean I left my computer on overnight for about 8-9 hours and woke up today, disabled a shield and it almost crashed... again. So I don't know what's going on.

I was thinking maybe it's a virus or something that might be trying to stop the process from running at startup, but the self defense module is stopping it... but I've done countless scans with both Malwarebytes and Avast! and have found nothing at all so... I just don't know.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
Hmmmmm... I did some more random tests today and I think I may have found a culprit...

The moment I disconnected my avast! account from the avast program, it started running decently again, no shield crashes or anything... :/ this is super weird, man. I've always had my account connected to avast! and not had any issues... but at least I think I found what's causing the problem... though I can't say for 100% or not, but I've restarted my computer about 20 times with it disconnected and haven't been able to replicate the problem so far.  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
Well your system is well up to the task.
When the tray icon eventually appears, does it have an asterisk in a triangle over it ?
Is your Comodo Firewall the stand alone one,  no AV or defence+ (or whatever it is called) ?
I'm going to have to call it a night after Midnight here and I'm up early.

Nope. Regular icon, and the changing from blue to orange animation. Yes my COMODO Firewall is the free/standalone version. Tried a lot of other stuff regarding this problem though, like allowing avast in firewalls, turning off firewalls, all that stuff... it makes no difference.

If you have a normal avast icon, then the shields should be started/running, otherwise you would see the icon in my image or a more severe one, avast tray icon with a Red Circle with an X over the top of it.

The fact that the avast tray icon is animated and rotating, indicates that it is doing its job, scanning. To do that the shields and avastSvc.exe (main avast service) need to be running.

At first I thought it was the virus definitions that were the culprit as I think with certain ones they change the way the shield and stuff behaves? I'm no technical expert so I don't know. I just know basic functions and such in Avast! But since I've been fresh installing the program it probably isn't, nor can it be the core files of Avast! as they're new.

The avast virus definitions update (controlled by instup.exe) is separate from the normal working of the scanners, so shouldn't effect the shields.

Even if there is a virus definitions update under way, any impact would be down to general slowness of the system, but the main avast service avastSvc.exe has a much higher priority. So I don't believe editing the .ini file would see any change in the issues you are describing.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you are seeing this if the tray icon is normal and rotating.

How/where exactly are you viewing that the shields are stopped ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »
Yeah I don't have the "x" or "!" over my icon, but as I mentioned in my previous post... when I disconnected my avast! account from the program, the program now starts decently again... and the shields don't lag or seemingly crash when disabling/re-enabling them anymore...

Not sure why removing my link to my account fixed this but it's extremely strange.

In regards to what I'm using to see the shields running and stuff, I'm using the built in Resource Monitor and Process Monitor... before the problem started when starting up windows AvastSvc.exe would use around 30-35MB on startup, indicating that pretty much everything ran smoothly and it loaded right away in the tray.

When the problem began, it would use anywhere between 10-20MB and sometimes 30ish, but it would be completely random, after removing my avast! account link though it's back to normal parameters...

Though I've never had any problem with my account before, I've had it linked pretty much always and I didn't have any issues, only recently did it start doing this but I find it odd that without a connection or when not linked to the avast account that it seems OK again... cause it seems illogical that something that is kinda needed for the program would cause itself to fail so horribly.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:59:37 PM by Braver »

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
Ok after a lot of different testing procedures and stuff I can safely say that it definitely is the avast! account link that's causing the issue. I've done multiple tests with it on and off and whenever I turn it on, it goes back to being clunky again, I even did a similar test where I checked whether the shields would recover after unlinking my account on the same login.

The moment I removed the link on the same session, the shields went back to being OK again... but the program...again almost crashed when trying to remove the link, it took around 15 seconds or so to unlink it and when I tried to log-in to my account - via the program on this session, I was able to login but it delayed for around 5-10 seconds then gave me an error message.

External Server Error 500!
"Requested service isn't available at the moment. Please try again later."

Not sure why it does this but about a day after my problem began, I was getting this error every time I tried to link or even login to my account on the web. It's okay right now but I don't know...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »
Not sure why it is happening either as this is the first time I have seen this in relation to the my.avast.com account linking.

It wasn't so much seeing that the shields are running - but what was telling you they aren't running, unless it is the avastUI telling you that shields aren't running, I can't see how. The shields are all controlled by the main avastSvc.exe (service), so they aren't separate. If avastSvc.exe is running the shields should be running, if they aren't then I would expect the avast UI to inform you (using the changed icon, etc.)

Quote from: Braver
I've been monitoring memory usage and such as well and when these things happen on a log-in where avast! delays on startup, it seems that not all shield modules are loaded and it takes anywhere from 20-30 seconds for them all to start working.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
Braver: I never leave my AVAST connected to an account and it isn't necessary for protection purposes (though I don't use v9 so David can correct me if I am wrong), so if I were you I wouldn't waste my time and just leave the account disconnected. Later (weeks) you can try connecting it again, if you really want to be connected, and the bug might have been worked out by then. Who knows... could be something going on on the AVAST server that handles the accts... might not be a local problem. JMO.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »
If you only have one installation - then is isn't much of an issue - if however, you have several installations, PCs, Android phone/s that you look after (family, etc.), if no one is connected to the account there are no stats that you can monitor.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 09:11:02 PM »
I see... it's just I always had my account connected before and there was no issue but... if it's not needed then I guess I'll just keep it off. Thanks for the help guys. :)

If I get any more problems regarding this issue I'll post here some more, but since it's relatively stable without the connected account then I'll leave it for now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 11:19:57 PM »
You're welcome.