Author Topic: Windows crashed after avast scan!  (Read 3561 times)

tayyab

Windows crashed after avast scan!
« on: August 13, 2005, 01:30:43 AM »
Hi There

I installed avast for my home pc and ran a full system scan after rebooting. It found infected files and asked me what to do. I selected "delete all" and went away. I came back after a while and tried to start the pc but windows is gone. there is a user log in window and when i press enter, it tries to load windows but comes back to same screen. I have tried to reinstall windows but computer would not boot from cd. It tries to boot from cd but then goes back to this user log in screen. I tried to start computer in command prompt mode but it would not. When i press F5 in the start up, it takes me to the menu showing different modes but up and down arrow key would not work. Actually nothing would work at that point. Can anyone please help with it as i am badly stuck. cheers. Tayyab

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Windows crashed after avast scan!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 02:03:42 AM »
Since your system was badly infected, I would advise a clean installation of the OS.

But if you don't want to do that you can try a in-place-repair. (INFO)

To let the system boot from the CD-rom, set the bootorder in the bios to cd as first bootdevice.

tayyab

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 10:10:12 AM »
Thanks for this.
I am ready to do a clean xp install but the problem is, it's not letting me do anything. I have tried F8 and then chose boot from CD many times. It says press any key to boot from cd and as soon as i do that, it goes back to loading windows which is infected. I have checked installation CD which is ok. This is a Packard Bell PC and i have lost the original XP cd with it. So i am using a different XP cd. You think this might cause a problem? Cheers

DukeNukem

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 11:45:46 AM »
Is the XP cd you are using a bootable CD?

tayyab

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 02:07:42 PM »
sorry for late reply. Yeah it is a bootable cd but its' not original packard bell cd as i lost that. I have got it from a friend and says "bootable" on it. I downloaded recovery bootable floppy disk and used that. system boot via the disk and asks for the computer serial number. but the cursor does not move as i try to type the serial number. no button on keyboard works and i had to restart the computer form power button. please help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 09:46:02 PM »
System boot via the disk and asks for the computer serial number. but the cursor does not move as i try to type the serial number. no button on keyboard works and i had to restart the computer form power button. please help.
Are you using an USB keyboard or mouse?
The best things in life are free.