Author Topic: Can u add HIPS  (Read 7111 times)

REDACTED

Can u add HIPS
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
1-Most program now have HIPS why avast don't have one

2-there is something very important beside HIPS u should add to avast u should add something like kaspersky rollback it's

important come when there is a virus by pass avast when suspicious activity is found avast can rollback all activity was done by

this virus   

REDACTED

Re: Can u add HIPS
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
NO NEED 100%

1) HIPS slows down and requires correct answers to questions
2) agressive hardered mode replaces HIPS with the same efficiency but without slowing down and questions

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
HIPS can be disabled by default and only experienced can enable it

the second thing doesn't slow down the system and it's very good in protecting the computer 

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »

If you are using Avast Internet Security or Avast Premier and you want HIPS
set the firewall to "public" and that will provide you with HIPS. For HIPS you need a firewall.

@antox  HIPS does not slow down your system.
            Hardened Mode is not a replacement for HIPS.
            HIPS explained here http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/hips-explained.htm

From the avast FAQ...
Quote...
avast! Hardened Mode brings an option for inexperienced users to further lock down the security of the computer in the avast! 2014 settings. If enabled, users can select between "Aggressive" mode which doesn't allow any non-whitelisted files in avast! file reputation database (e.g. unknown files) to run, and "Moderate" mode which allows any other files except those with low reputation in avast! file reputation database (e.g. low prevalence files) to run.

edit: additional

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:32:53 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
so if i put firewall on public this mean i will have HIPS ???

what about the second thing i write above

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »

1) so if i put firewall on public this mean i will have HIPS ???
2) what about the second thing i write above

1) Yes to a point. HIPS is technically a separate part of a firewall which needs to be activated by the user.
    It depends on who you talk to, some say you need HIPS while others say you don't. Some, myself included,
    run third party firewalls with HIPS enabled. If you have a "hardware" router you have HIPS built in.

2) With the evolution of evo-gen and dyna-gen personally I don't see avast doing this in the near future.

If your computer has "hardware virtualization" technology the the addition of "ng" will enhance your protection.
And thus reduce the need for a "roll-back" to practically nothing.

See http://ask-leo.com/do_i_need_a_firewall_and_if_so_what_kind.html
For third party firewalls see http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

If you decide on using Comodo Firewall see http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm
Use due caution to "not" install the Comodo antivirus.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 10:52:45 PM »
i tried to use comodo before but it didn't work well with avast

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
I haven't had any issues running both avast free and CFW w/D+  :)
When installing CFW one must be extra careful to "not" install the Comodo antivirus.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
ok what should i install first CFW or avast

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »
Always install an antivirus first. Please keep in mind there is an ongoing debate as to whether
a third party firewall is necessary. If you are relatively new at using a computer you may want
to stick with the Windows Firewall just set it to "public". If you know what you are doing then
you may want to check out third party firewalls. Third party firewalls are more complex and
need some understanding as to what to allow and what not to allow. They aren't exactly set
them and forget them. Third party firewalls will ask you to "allow" or "block" while installing or
uninstalling certain software. They are also more complex while setting them up.

If you do decide to install Comodo Firewall follow the instruction I linked to above.
Use a lot of caution to "avoid" installing the Comodo Antivirus.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 12:55:21 AM »
Always install an antivirus first. Please keep in mind there is an ongoing debate as to whether
a third party firewall is necessary. If you are relatively new at using a computer you may want
to stick with the Windows Firewall just set it to "public". If you know what you are doing then
you may want to check out third party firewalls. Third party firewalls are more complex and
need some understanding as to what to allow and what not to allow. They aren't exactly set
them and forget them. Third party firewalls will ask you to "allow" or "block" while installing or
uninstalling certain software. They are also more complex while setting them up.

If you do decide to install Comodo Firewall follow the instruction I linked to above.
Use a lot of caution to "avoid" installing the Comodo Antivirus.

thanks for your help

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Yes if you add exclusion Comodo firewall works better with avvast just add it to the exclusion in hips and firewall category.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
Yes if you add exclusion Comodo firewall works better with avvast just add it to the exclusion in hips and firewall category.

i tried to use avast with comodo but there is some thing wrong comodo eat my CPU and if i remove avast it back to normal

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 10:05:08 PM »
Comodo has a built-in whitelist and avast is in it.
You need to exclude Comodo in avast.

Which version of Comodo Firewall do you have?
Did you untick every box "except" the firewall when you installed CFW?

You may want to uninstall CFW using the Comodo uninstall tool.
Try installing CFW v5.12 http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/13662/
It's smaller and uses almost no CPU.

Untick everything "except" the firewall during the install.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:21:13 PM by Para-Noid »