Author Topic: Strange request  (Read 4214 times)

joburg

Strange request
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:37:23 PM »
A dumb question - while busy with OE my firewall popped up and asked if I accept these changes:

Filename: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ASHMAISV.EXE
---- New modules: 2 ----
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\MOUSEWARE\SYSTEM\LGMOUSHK.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ASYCFILT.DLL

Could this be from Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Strange request
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 11:55:44 PM »
Which firewall are you using?
The first dll seems legit, it's from Logitech Mouseware. But why it's being asked to connect by ashmaisv.exe?
The second, maybe you can google to find more info.
Seems that 'shared components' are trying to connect and, that time, the program that made the 'first' request was avast mail service, probably because you're downloading emails.
Oh, another question, did you change, recently, the Logitech drivers for your mouse?
The best things in life are free.

joburg

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 05:07:06 PM »
Thanks Tech, I’m using Sygate. You’ve put my question in a nutshell, why ashmaisv.exe? I make a point of it to first of all google-it with dif wording formats to check if a quick solution pops up.
The “'first' request” may well be the answer there and my Logitech setup untouched for many years.
I’ve not received the request again after I did not accept the first request originally.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 07:39:47 PM »
my Logitech setup untouched for many years.
I’ve not received the request again after I did not accept the first request originally.
Sometimes, shared componens, even not changed, interact each other in such strange way that similar questions could appear from the firewall.
Anyway, it's good that it was not asked again  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 01:04:26 AM »
Some brief info about the second one (ASYCFILT.DLL) can be found in here:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/asycfilt

Quote:
Description:
asycfilt.dll is a module used by Microsoft OLE (Object Linking and Embedding).

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

joburg

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 04:00:17 PM »
Thanks sZc, at least I know now it is a safe file.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 04:18:51 PM »
Whilst the actual asycflit.dll file may well be a legitimate file, the questions really should be what was using it and for what purpose and what either file would have to do with ashMaiSv.exe?

This may well be a case of Sygates know issue with local host loopback proxies and confusing what was the originating program?

But you are probably ok.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security