Author Topic: Avast Free disable all shields when it expires  (Read 2401 times)

REDACTED

Avast Free disable all shields when it expires
« on: October 12, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »
I have a PC which is not connected to the internet and was installed with the latest Avast Free 2014.9.0.2021
This is PC is at a remote location and I visit it every few months to update it by tethering my mobile phone to it.

When I visited this PC a few days ago, to my horror, I found the PC is infected with virus and all Avast shields are disabled. I noticed Avast free subscription has expired and thus I assume when it expired, all shields are disabled as well. This leaves my PC's door wide open for any viruses to enter. Anyone with an infected USB drive can infect the PC easily.

I find this disturbing as Avast should have at least keep the shields enabled instead of disabling it since it is a free product. I am now totally lost hope on Avast for protecting my PC as a good product should have at least protect my PC using its current virus definition and not by totally tuning itself off when it expires.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:33:54 PM by 64bit »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Free disable all shields when it expires
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
no license = no protection
That is how it works, nothing wrong with it.

But rumor has it that soon you will need no longer a license for the free version.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
This leaves my PC's door wide open for any viruses to enter. Anyone with an infected USB drive can infect the PC easily.
free MCShield usb protector  www.mcshield.net

When I visited this PC a few days ago, to my horror, I found the PC is infected with virus and all Avast shields are disabled.
what infections?

how to recive help instructions   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »
@ 64bit
As far as I'm aware when the registration expires, only the virus definitions can't be updated, the shields should remain on.

This would mean you would have to download the full virus definitions to update the virus definitions. However, this is something which you would already need to do for a system that doesn't have internet connection, otherwise the virus definitions get way out of date.

This could lead a virus infection due to way out of date virus definitions - which inadvertently could disable avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.

@Eddy: You do have a point there but this might be problem for unsuspecting new users. Hopefully no license is required for free 2015 version.

@Pondus: I manage to remove the virus with Malwarebytes free.

@DavidR: I do have the same assumption as yours. Unfortunately, I see all shields are indeed disabled and I cannot enable them. The PC was updated online by tethering my mobile phone to it once every few months.

It seems I would need to submit this as an enhancement request.