Author Topic: Where'd my app go?  (Read 2049 times)

REDACTED

Where'd my app go?
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:33:56 PM »
So I ran an application that I've been running for months. It IS NOT infected with a virus. Avast said it had Evo-gen. I told it to make an exception. It created the exception, but not before DELETING the .EXE. Where can I get the .EXE back?

If I tell it to make an exception, why does it delete the file? That would qualify as a pretty serious glitch in my book!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Where'd my app go?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »
It depends on your settings what happened.
It could be in the virus chest or completely removed.

If it is deleted, install the application again.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:11:44 AM »
The dialog pops up. It says it thinks it's Evo-gen (which, of course, isn't a specific virus, but basically it's just "acting suspicious", according to Avast.) And that's fine, I've been using Avast for years, and I expect (and want) it to do that. But then when it offers, on that very dialog, the option to make an exclusion for the file (and it did, and when I look in the settings, I see that exclusion), I expect that it won't delete the file. I mean, what good is the exclusion if it's going to delete the app? That's a bug.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
I'd like to say that I have had the same problem with a different program .exe from Photoshop Elements 2 was "flag" (not the right word) and I clicked for it to  be an exception and then the .exe was removed. I've twice had to reloaded the Photoshop Elements 2  because of this. I have been using Photoshop Elements 2 and Avast for years without problems. What is different now? Pete12 did you find a solution?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:27:25 PM »
There indeed seem to be a problem with adding to exception if you try to do it through the pop-up.
Adding a exclusion manually should work fine.

It could be that it is solved in 2015 RC1.