Author Topic: Cant Connect to Net with firewall & avast running  (Read 2837 times)

DigitalGaia

Cant Connect to Net with firewall & avast running
« on: August 13, 2005, 07:12:34 PM »
I have DSL with a router and use AtGuard firewall. My OS is Win2000 with sp3.

When the firewall is up and Avast is running, I cannot connect to the net. If I take one down, either the firewall or Avast, i can connect. In my firewall event log there is no record of it blocking anything trying to get out or in for that matter.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks!

DigitalGaia

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Cant Connect to Net with firewall & avast running
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 07:30:58 PM »
I have DSL with a router and use AtGuard firewall. My OS is Win2000 with sp3.

When the firewall is up and Avast is running, I cannot connect to the net. If I take one down, either the firewall or Avast, i can connect. In my firewall event log there is no record of it blocking anything trying to get out or in for that matter.

Yet, apparently the firewall blocks avast! from accessing the net. Do you really have all necessary avast's processes in the list of firewall rules? Especially avMaiSv.exe needs the access similar to mail clients (outgoing port 110,25,119), ashWebSv.exe (WebShield) needs access to ports 80, 443. Both need the right to accept connections from localhost, on port 12110,12025,12119 for Mail Scanner, and 12080 for WebShield.

DigitalGaia

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 02:24:56 AM »
Thanks for the speedy reply. If what you describe is the case, why isnt AtGuard asking for permissions? AtGuard ALWAYS asks permission for something to go out or come in on thru network or net  if there is not a rule for it, or is AtGuard ignoring local stuff? I will check my rules again and see if any of those ports are blocked.

Thanks

dg

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 02:43:14 AM »
DigitalGaia, maybe the firewall and the loopback are playing a trick here.
In fact, the local proxy could be working as a tunnel to pass the traffic and the firewall just ask for the 'tunnel' permission.
Maybe I'm wrong  ::)
The best things in life are free.